Electric cars

Probably a Phev would suit you better mate. Most of your trips are electric so will cost pennies or nothing if you use the BE-EV Greater Manchester network. For longer runs just set it to run in Hybrid. The vehicle was supplied with on street chargers and 3 pin chargers.

You can charge your vehicle straight from an electric plug as long as you are not impeding your neighbours access by trailing cables across the pavement. Our Phev has a 9kw battery with a range of 39 miles and yes we do get 39 miles and sometimes more with clever use of the regenerative system. Sometime we gwt less if we use air con and phone chargers etc but not much less. Least I have had is 33 miles. I cannot unfortunately use the bigger chargers as my max draw is 7kw

I can fully charge our 9kw battery in 3 hours and 15 minutes from empty on a 3 pin plug and on the 7kw street and car park chargers it takes slightly more than a couple of hours.

I have got increasingly good using regeneration to best advantage and going down Burnley hill from the Dorf I get max distance and extra charge. If you do not touch the accelerator you are not drawing electric and simply use regen one to three for cornering and braking.

House three pin will cost me around £1.30 for 39 miles
BE-EV Greater Manchester Network is free and comes with with free car parking in Bury and Rochdale (check with borough)
Pod is free in Tesco's
BP Pulse is ) 0.82 for a 9kw charge

Running Hybrid to blackpool and back we just achieved 88mpg. I went for three days and could have been a tight arse by charging at Fairhaven Park before we came back home to reduce costs further.
Thanks bob that’s great info a huge help. Kind of makes me feel I’m going down the right route.

Thanks bob that’s great info a huge help. Kind of makes me feel I’m going down the right route.
We didn't think an all out electric would suit our needs at the moment but the Phev offered us the best of both worlds. Probably 80% of our motoring is under 40 mls so it suits our requirements well. I did mean to add that the regen is not just about hills but also about driving style and anticipation such as approaching traffic lights and junctions etc.

We intend touring Scotland and the isles this summer so the reasurance of the petrol engine gives us confidence with range.

Last edited:
I suspect major urban areas only at first, but if Ford can showcase the technology and there is a substantial uptake there could be an avalanche of spin-offs.
It’s hard enough getting fuel when you drive across Wyoming, Idaho and Montana, I just think it’s going to be a long time before they get the infrastructure out in place

I have an MHEV - basically a Posh Stop Start system is the general consenus - I have to lug around 48V battery system.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.