Electric cars

I had a software issue on the ICE in my 2016 Juke - it meant that the nav and aircon could not be used for say 5 to 15 minutes in the morning booted up - still drove though. When you have a car that functions entirely on electricity and depends on its own software just to make the wheels turn then it is an EV issue - FF vehicles seldom catastrophically fail due to a software issue - for most, at worst, they go into limp home mode so you can get it to somewhere to get it looked at . If an EV breaks down in most cases it can't even be towed somewhere to be looked at.

In their current evolution and with the charging infrastructure as it is they are simply not the answer. Far too much is experimental.
I don't disagree that EV and infrastructure need to evolve. where I think we're not on the same page is The Macmaster being the font of EV knowledge (unless your looking for 1 Euro beers and a cheap breakfast)

as he says "onwards" :-)

I don't disagree that EV and infrastructure need to evolve. where I think we're not on the same page is The Macmaster being the font of EV knowledge (unless your looking for 1 Euro beers and a cheap breakfast)

as he says "onwards" :-)

No but he is currently at the forefront of experience of a premium brand EV supplier and his reports show they are not good at it - google Porche Taycan EV known faults - there are pages and pages of dissatisfied owners - all the MacMaster is doing is showing rather than just writing about the real world issues

I have ridden in an electric car and it was good, and as technology improves they will get better

However, we just have not got the infrastructure needed the ban on sale is only 8 years away, I have always thought that after 2030 all new cars will have to be plug in hybrids until say 2040 in the hope that the infrastructure would be somewhere near by then
I don't think we are going to be anywhere near ready to be able to support the wholesale switchover to EV's in the next 20 years, let alone 8.

Yeah, I'm looking a getting a new car this year but still on the fence but erring to sticking with petrol atm (for a few reasons).

I've not studied it in any depth but is Hydrogen more of a pipe dream atm or is the development gathering traction (so to speak)?

Yeah, I'm looking a getting a new car this year but still on the fence but erring to sticking with petrol atm (for a few reasons).
I was the same. Undecided between electric and petrol, so in the end went for plug-in hybrid. It should suit our needs perfectly. The decision was made easier as there was a significant waiting list for the EVs that we were interested in.

I've not studied it in any depth but is Hydrogen more of a pipe dream atm or is the development gathering traction (so to speak)?
You can buy Honda and Toyota hydrogen cars.
God knows where you fill them up though.
Nevertheless I reckon within 20 years electric cars will have gone the way of Betamax and fax machines.

Nevertheless I reckon within 20 years electric cars will have gone the way of Betamax and fax machines.
I might be way off here but won't putting H2O through a water filter separate the Hydrogen (which you can then place into a Pyrex measuring jug something)?

giphy.gif

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.