Eliaquim Mangala - now official

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Eliaquim Mangala

Matt the Giant said:
My apologies if this has already been covered in the thread, but I couldn't find it.

Can someone enlighten me please, how spending such a huge amount of money on a very young and unproven player makes sense?

I haven't watched him play at all, so I don't know his qualities. But if we go through the negatives of this potential transfer, they add up to some worrying substance me thinks.

- Unproven
- Mega Expensive
- Has showed NO interest of joining us
- would be a huge gamble which could come back to bite us in the ass big time.

Anyone who knows more about him than I do, please let me/us know why this is a good deal.

I'd trust the club rather than a poster who's probably only seen the player play half a dozen times,fella.

Im sure we could get Vertonghen for half the price of Mangala. Premiership experience and international experience alongside Vinnie with Belgium.

No brainer for me.

George Hannah said:
mcfcstu said:
Im sure we could get Vertonghen for half the price of Mangala. Premiership experience and international experience alongside Vinnie with Belgium.

No brainer for me.
I also have no brain and I agree with you

Lol.

No way on Vertonghen, no way near good enough imo.

Simon Curtis ‏@bifana_bifana 3m

A Bola still reporting that #MCFC are awaiting Mangala's green light for transfer from FC Porto. "Will happen sooner or later"...

First ever post so please take it easy ha!

Ever since the Mangala situation started prior to January he has never seemed to show an overwhelming sense of wanting to play for City.. Nou doubt he has the potential to become one of the best centre halfs in the world: Fantastic footballing brain, plenty of time on his side etc. But as a City fan I would want to see a player wear the shirt because they really wanted too and were willing to bleed for the shirt, the likes of Vinny, Zaba, Hart etc.

I dont know if there is a thread on this (as I said first post) but im interested to know what City fans think of giving young Rekik a go.. Great season last season, 19 years old and included in the provisional Holland sqaud for the World Cup?

Would much prefer Benatia, this guy is pissing us around too much. Don't want to be gambling on France's 4th choice CB for £40mil, for that price, a CB should either be the finished article or showing that he's going to be the next big thing. Plus, does he have the leadership skills we need if Kompany is injured?

Sir Joe Aguero said:
Would much prefer Benatia, this guy is pissing us around too much. Don't want to be gambling on France's 4th choice CB for £40mil, for that price, a CB should either be the finished article or showing that he's going to be the next big thing. Plus, does he have the leadership skills we need if Kompany is injured?

Did the price jump up when I wasn't looking? I thought we were closer to 30 million than 40?

hgblue said:
Unproven? He's already a fantastic young player with the potential to become even better.
Mega Expensive? The fee quoted seems fair for a player of his quality.
Showed No Interest? If he's not interested in joining us then presumably he won't.
Huge Gamble? Trust the judgement of the people at the club who know what they're doing.

- Very much unproven. So far only played in inferior leagues, in Belgium and Portugal. How he will adapt to the fastest and hardest league in the world can not with certainty be known.
- £32 million (I read it was more than that) for a 23 y/o defender with the less than impressive experience described above. Yes I'd call that insanely expensive. Remember Aguero cost only £5mil more, and he was already an international star.
- Lack of interest. - Obviously. Compare for example to Benatia, who is willing to pay £3mil of his own money to make the move here.
- What if he, just like Boateng for example, finds life in Manchester and the football in the PL less than attractive. Or what if he turns out to be another Savic or Nastasic? A young promising player who doesn't quite live up to his potential or finds himself injured more than not? That happens all the time, but this time with such a high price tag it does come out as a huge gamble. In order for that money to justify itself, is if Mangala lives up to all his potential. Another uncertainty, and thus a gamble.

As stated in my previous post, I haven't watched Mangala play (other than YT clips) and I asked if someone could offer info or opinions on the potential transfer to maybe erase the question marks above.
I do have all the trust in the world for our exec's and if they are willing to go for Mangala then i'm all for it. But still I'd like to understand what I now do not understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.