Elon Musk buys and ruins Twitter

Although I think he's made a mistake with the purchase, the response is the same as always in these cases; They want mentions for the product. In most cases, bad publicity is just free publicity. People discuss it and media cover it. The logo and name is everywhere. Even I've spent more time on it in the last week.

You could have an alias like Big Dave the sex machine.
As someone who hates celebrities, mums that are looking at their phones instead of the child in the pram, the Sky model of broadcasting sport,
Reality tv, soap operas, fake fuckers, two faced fuckers and sad bastards that haven't got a life outside of social media. No I'm not Big Dave the sex machine, 2 reasons why not, one is I'm not called Dave......

Until you realise that these are the people who bring the eyeballs to the site. You're asking your main content creators to pay extra for the privilege of posting content that thousands or potentially millions of people want to read. And yes, they don't have to pay it, but then you're back with the problems that the blue tick was brought in to solve in the first place.

There's also this idea that everyone with a blue tick is a rich, successful celebrity. My friend is a freelance journalist working in Vietnam. He has a blue tick, because people will often imitate and harass journalists in order to undermine them. He's certainly not rich, but he's richer than most in that country. For local journalists in developing countries, $8 a month is a lot. And the idea that you then get priority treatment if you buy it is also problematic. What will happen is journalists working for big media outlets will have it paid for them. Small independent journalists will have to pay out of their own pockets. And they'll have to pay, because if they don't, not as many people see their stuff and they can't build up a profile and get jobs. It creates a two-tier Twitter, which is exactly what he's claiming to be against. It's basically a single platform version of removing net neutrality. I'm now not seeing content based on who I follow and its merits, but based on who has paid to promote their stuff.

Blue tick was introduced as a response to a problem. I assume it actually saves Twitter money. In the past, when someone was imitating someone, against Twitter's policy, it would have to be reported, and then investigated by an individual and the account banned (which would no doubt pop up again a few days later). Now the blue tick person has a blue tick, it means they're less likely to give a shit about someone imitating them, because it's easy to see who's who. I'm not privy to the inner workings of Twitter, but I suspect the blue tick system massively reduces the number of reports they get into fake accounts.
Agree.

Although not directly but for reference, it's not an anabler of free speech, it's a deterrent;

The term activist here is telling. There are no activists, just normal people who dislike the right wing shithouse world view. Big corps get it and pay good marketing money to ensure they are not associated with it. If Musk fills twitter with right wing BS then the add revenue will fall off the cliff. Nothing to do with 'activists' but that is the way right wingers all frame up normal people opposing the BS.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.