Emmanuel Adebayor/Spuds

Soulboy said:
m35 blue68 said:
Soulboy said:
Hindsight?

Many people were critical of this deal when it was first mooted.

One of the governing principles of business/war/football is that you don't strengthen your rivals. Many on here thought Spurs weren't our rivals. They were always wrong in that view.

Supposedly Real Madrid offered us £5m for Ade. We should have taken it. Alternatively we should have tied Spurs down to a permanent deal at some point.

But now Spurs can make Champions League, send Ade back to us having done his job and they will spend their £20m on someone else... and we will be back to square one trying to find a club for Adebayor. Madness.

other option was??

Sell to Real Madrid for £5m?

Negotiate a deal that compelled Spurs to sign if various triggers are met?

Do what we did with Tevez?

We've "saved" about £7m on giving Adebayor to Spurs (£2m loan fee and £5m wages)... given that we're prepared to drop £20m on the Tevez deal to offload him, we might have been better giving Adebayor a free?

The money we've saved by giving Adebayor to Spurs could look like chicken-feed if it comes back to bite us on the arse.

In management it's all about risk and reward. I think we got this one wrong.

No biggie.

If that was def an option then fair enough but nothings concrete on those lines, its us thats made the mistake and only the end of season will tell me if it was a right or wrong one. I dont think personally that come the end spurs will be in with a shout anyhow so whats he has done damage wise to the others will only help us.

m35 blue68 said:
Soulboy said:
m35 blue68 said:
other option was??

We've "saved" about £7m on giving Adebayor to Spurs (£2m loan fee and £5m wages)... given that we're prepared to drop £20m on the Tevez deal to offload him, we might have been better giving Adebayor a free?

The money we've saved by giving Adebayor to Spurs could look like chicken-feed if it comes back to bite us on the arse.

No biggie.

If that was def an option then fair enough but nothings concrete on those lines, its us thats made the mistake and only the end of season will tell me if it was a right or wrong one. I dont think personally that come the end spurs will be in with a shout anyhow so whats he has done damage wise to the others will only help us.

Hope you're right.

But it's a risk maybe we shouldn't have taken. Like you say, only at the end of the season will we know for certain.

How many goals has Adebayor scored? 9 I think. He's done well, but hardly a raging success.

Also has 6 assists, which is very good.

But also note this, Marvin:

Jumanji said:
remoh said:
Jumanji said:
It's irrelevant because even when he doesn't score he contributes SO MUCH to their build up play that its ridiculous! Spurs haven't had a footballing striker that can do that in a long time. He allows them to keep the fluidity in attacks.

Also, he's been getting a lot of assists.

When Adebayor hasn't played, Tottenham have looked pretty average.

That's why he's the first name on the team-sheet every week. Redknapp's only decision all season, up front, has been which other striker to put with him.

Their gain, our loss.
Even without consistent finishing, he's been a blessing in disguise for Spurs. Although I didn't think it would be so at the time, it really wasn't the smartest move to loan him to them. Although...I suppose he had to play somewhere.

Soulboy said:
m35 blue68 said:
Soulboy said:

No biggie.

Hope you're right.

But it's a risk maybe we shouldn't have taken. Like you say, only at the end of the season will we know for certain.

Waited for 30 odd years so another?

Dont get me wrong I wish we could have done a deal for ade, bridge, tevez, s cruz etc cos whilst their linked with the club its only aids the crap jounalists out there.

You could imagine the field day if we had sold him to say spurs for 5 - 10 million and he came back next week and scored a couple. We should have bought at least one striker in come the start of the window to replace carlos but if its one in and one out then i think we will regret it.

Marvin said:
How many goals has Adebayor scored? 9 I think. He's done well, but hardly a raging success.

It's not just the goals. I think Crouch scored more!

It's the way Spurs have developed their style of play with him. Or are you saying Spurs are no better than they were last season?

Soulboy said:
Marvin said:

It's not just the goals. I think Crouch scored more!

It's the way Spurs have developed their style of play with him. Or are you saying Spurs are no better than they were last season?
Spurs are better because they are 100% focussed on the League. Players like Bale are now fit and playing at he top of their game. Last season Bale was not fit. They kept trying to patch him up for the European games.

Adebayor has added a little bit of power, but I think more significant is their fixture list. It means their top players can perform week after week in the League at their maximum.

Adebayor was unlucky not to have got the winner today by all accounts, also today's Daily Telegraph stated that we are paying £100k of his salary per week.

The earlier quotes attributed to Redknapp were from him direct on Sky Sports and the Sun on Friday.

Put this another way, would anyone be happy if we gave Tevez back to United and paid them £100k a week to subsidise the deal !

Talking to Soulboy this summer and he said we should stay away from any deals with Redknapp as they always work in his favour. He was absolutely correct, because the 3 players he got for £6M have transformed Spurs, Ade, Parker and Friedel. The table does not lie.

But really annoys is the constant dissing of City this week by Redknapp and even Platt has now responded to Redknapp and told him our spending is only catch up with other clubs.

Do I think Spurs will win the league - no. But I wouldn't have helped them make a close fight of it. !!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.