End of an era?

Watching the way Foden moves tonight for England, it’s majestic. He’s not too far away from being that Inesta midfielder, I think that’s Citys best hopes right now of a KDB replacement.
Maybe McAtee or Bobb are Foden's replacements then...but we still need more imo.

Now that the post Istanbul euphoria has settled down a little thoughts are obviously turning to next season and it seems that change is very much in the air. The futures of players who have been brilliant for us - Gundogan, Bernado, Walker, Laporte - are up in the air and I think some will definitely leave.

This, combined with earlier departures and the fact that the club has achieved the European success that it craved, seems to be a transitional moment. Obviously the fans want more trophies but is this now the time for radical revision of the playing staff to usher in a new era?

Not suggesting getting rid of the entire squad but the possible loss of Gundogan and Bernado plus KdB's advancing age and current injury mean that our midfield may look radically different next season and may take some time to click. Are City fans pragmatic enough to accept a transitional season if it sets the team up for the next five years or so?

Part of me thinks that a top 3 finish and good run in the domestic cups and Europe would be ok whilst we integrate new signings but another part looks at the domestic and European competition and thinks we could dominate again if we kept our two midfielders.

I think maybe I am a bit tired after last season - god knows how Pep, the staff and players feel and the latter get dragged out for these daft Internationals rather than being allowed to rest.

What are people's thoughts?

I think you have the wrong forum, just run the piece past your editor again.

I will forgive them if we dont win anything next 5 years but i dont think it will happen.
This team has got the best manager, best Chairman and backroom staff.
The mentality is win win win no matter who leaves.

Maybe McAtee or Bobb are Foden's replacements then...but we still need more imo.

I’m not sure to be honest, it’s nice to have academy lads come through but to be in the starting 11, you have to be top class. McAtee did well in the championship last year, but he needs to move up a few levels, he’s no way near right now. Oscar Bobb is even further behind. They’ve got about 2 years to become top PL players. As I wouldn’t be thinking about replacing Foden in the wide positions just yet. In this next 2 years, other top players will emerge too.

I’m not sure to be honest, it’s nice to have academy lads come through but to be in the starting 11, you have to be top class. McAtee did well in the championship last year, but he needs to move up a few levels, he’s no way near right now. Oscar Bobb is even further behind. They’ve got about 2 years to become top PL players. As I wouldn’t be thinking about replacing Foden in the wide positions just yet. In this next 2 years, other top players will emerge too.
I agree. I'm hoping that someone is going to be signed who can be as amazing as our top guys in no time at all. Actually 2 or 3 of these mysterious colossals.

Last edited:
Because we have now won everything we wanted it sort of does feel like the end of an era but doesn't mean it is, we now have to start again carry on doing it all again that's what the likes of Madrid ect do every year.

Because it's out of our control. Many players (Bernardo, Gundo, Walker, Laporte, Mahrez, etc.) are wanting to at least consider moving on.

So replace them with similar quality. Not youth players. Look at how much we’ve made from winning the Treble. If we need to replace stars it has to be with more stars of similar or even better (if possible!) quality.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.