End of Barca era

Not really. They really miss having a striker/goalpoacher. Messi scores loads, but isn't a striker, and aside from him, no one else is really chiping in consistently with goals. If he has a rare offday like today, and in the Classico, there isn't really anyone else to step up get the goals. In Pep's first season, they had Messi, Eto'o and Henry as a front 3, absolutly devastating, they netted over 100 goals in that season between them. Last season it was Messi, Pedro, and Villa, that did a lot of damage. They beat Real Madrid 5-0 at home, and Espanyol 5-1 away, and Messi didn't even score in those two games. Thats where I believe some of the problem lies, not having a real consistent goalscorer other than Messi. Another factor is they're going through a bit of a transitional stage. Xavi is ageing, and Pep is trying to mould Thiago/Fabregas for that role. Neither are as good as Xavi was in his peak at the moment. He's also bringing through Cuenca and Tello, and blooding them into the team.

They've already won the Supercopa, UEFA Super Cup and Club World Cup this season and face Bilbao in the Copa del Rey final next month, so could still win a quadrouple, even if they're missing out on the big two (La Liga and Champions League).

Silly thread - one bad week and people suggesting its the end of the Barca era, they absoulutly battered Chelsea home and away, but thats football

They need replacements for an aging squad. It could be a year or two, but they won't slip far IMO.

Xavi, Alves, Puyol.

Pedro is wank.

-- Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:44 pm --

Gaylord du Bois said:
They need Kyle Walker.
This.

-- Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:45 pm --

LoveCity said:
They've already won the Supercopa, UEFA Super Cup and Club World Cup this season and face Bilbao in the Copa del Rey final next month, so could still win a quadrouple, even if they're missing out on the big two (La Liga and Champions League).
And then of course there is this.

Unlikely.... A club like Barca wont be going away.
They're like The Terminator . . . "I'll be back".

Big clubs rarely go away. They may not be the self-proclaimed "best squad ever" anymore but they will always be there. They are getting some aging players in the squad that will need to be replaced, and I've never rated Valdes that well so there is some rooms or improvement.

Maybe they'll go after Hazard to replace Xavi.

FFS, nobody said they're gonna be relegated...

Of course they're not going away but if Guardiola leaves and that wouldn't be surprising at all, it is the end of one era for Barca.

Some players are going to leave, new are going to come, if new manager comes, there would certainly be some changes in style of football they're playing etc, etc..

So the end of Barca era is not far away at all, they'll soon stay without Puyol and Xavi or their performances would be less influential (Puyol is in declining period for some time now), even Xavi is not on his best in last months so it looks like years are not doing good for him in 2nd part of the season, and these two guys are symbols of that era.

With Messi still young and Iniesta at 28, they'll still be at or near the top for years but this generation comes once in 50 years. There are lot of their young players being hyped to the sky but I don't see Tellos, Cuencas or Thiagos becoming new Iniestas, Xavis or Messis.

No real goalscorers in their squad other than Messi. He's scored 60+ but there's only so much you can do when 5 defenders swarm you every time you touch the ball. Similar to the way Silva has dropped off I think Messi has as well. Just plain fatigue is getting the best of a small Barca squad.

However, some of Pep's decisions have been mind boggling to say the least. Pedro, Messi, and Sanchez is a far better front three than anything they've played recently and I cant understand why he insists on Tello or Cuenca. Pedro was so integral last year and it seems Peps lost faith in him which is bizarre.

They'll buy big this summer even if they don't have the money I imagine and come back next year fit and firing. But their time of unrivaled dominance may be coming to an end. Puyol, Xavi, Alves, Abidal, Villa, Keita all around 30 or older. Without Puyol especially their defence will utterly fall apart unless they buy two solid center backs. Pique simply is not good enough.

But even if they do falter for a few years they'll never truly fade away, their youth academy will make sure of that.

I think to some extent opponents have figured out a way to deal with Barcelona's tactics. Only good teams have the quality to do this and to get something out from the game as well, but lesser teams are at least closing the gap a bit.

It's quite similar to what we have been going through this season; teams have found a good way to play against us, and we are forced to come up with something new, a is what Pep need to do now: How to create chances when the opponents play ten men inside their own box.
And they really need to upgrade their defence and bring in a couple of great central defenders... just leave Kompany alone.

I for one am really looking forward to watching Barcelona next season, as now is the time for Pep to show he really is a great manager. I don't think he will want to leave after such a disappointing (by their standard) season.

Then all Mancini has to do is to copy whatever it is Guardiola is doing. :)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.