England Squad - Euro 2024

I actually thought Gallagher did OK after he came on. Brought a bit of energy when the game was flagging a bit and was trying to win the ball back a lot more.
Yeah, he’s a pressing machine. Hendo mark 2.

We lack players that can pass through the lines in midfield though. That’s why Foden never gets the ball.

Wharton seems our best option for that, but he seems last choice.

Was it any better for France tonight ?
They were on the back foot and bullied most of match same for Belgium against opposition that the average joe casually deems ‘they should be slaughtering them’’

International football isn’t pretty, never really has been aside some flair teams like Brazil back in the day- the smaller nations are very tough to beat at times, they give everything and have some really good players.

I don't think you should compare England's performances to another team to justify us being shite. Austria had only lost once in their previous 16 games whilst Serbia had W4 D1 L5 of their previous 10.

France are also an outlier when it comes to their style and success. They very much play a physical game, relying on pace, power and moments of quality rather than looking to boss games possession-wise. European football is much more balanced partly because "lesser" nations do have better players and coaches but also because the traditional powers of European football are largely in transition.

When you look back at previous successful European teams - Spain and Germany were based on a possession game that was akin to club football. They controlled the tempo, kept the ball and used a false 9 system at times. They benefitted from having a core of players coached by Pep at Barca and then Bayern. A core that included the critical players in any football team I'd add. Italy are another. They stick to what they do best, defensive solidity which means they can dig in off the ball, work very hard and keep a clean sheet. And with the midfield quality they had they always could create chances.

England's style of play in the last Euro's was perfect. Press high, force errors up the pitch and attack with pace with Kane dropping in to feed others running beyond. That's how we do it best. We can't defend in a compact system. It's not our way and we're not good enough at it. The trouble we have now is that we can't press because Kane can't so it's just letting the opposition play through us with ease. Add to that we've got the emergence of Bellingham and Foden who are both world class but because of Southgate's uncertainty over the defence he keeps the double pivot and sacrifices Foden. I get why. Rice isn't a deep lying playmaker and we need one. But TAA isn't the answer. Bellingham is. He doesn't lose the ball, he always wants it. Drop him in, let him be the guy who runs the game from deep and then get natural width on the left and have Foden in the 10. Foden and Bellingham can easily switch roles and they both have the energy to get up and down the pitch and press, which lets Kane trot about without the system completely failing.

He might as well try it.

Last edited:
Why is no one succesting to solve the how to get Foden and Bellingham playing together problem is playing Foden on the right and dropping Saka.

Yeah, he’s a pressing machine. Hendo mark 2.

We lack players that can pass through the lines in midfield though. That’s why Foden never gets the ball.

Wharton seems our best option for that, but he seems last choice.

Wharton is a real talent and the only player I've seen in the England squad for a good decade plus that might finally be that deep lying playmaker. If we are going to stick with Bellingham as a 10 and Foden left then he's the best option in my opinion. I don't see any reason why he can't perform for England as he has done for Palace. I'd personally drop Bellingham in - the guy wants the ball all the time so drop him where he can have it and run the game. He can burst forwards from deep - his goal came from him in a deeper position and running into the box, Foden was in the 10 space ahead of him before it was slotted through to Saka.

Why is no one succesting to solve the how to get Foden and Bellingham playing together problem is playing Foden on the right and dropping Saka.
Mostly because we need more width, not less.

Ditch TAA for Gordon, have Rice, Bellingham and Foden in the middle and 2 wingers holding their width and that maximises the space for Bellingham and Foden to create/score.

Southgate would never do that, especially with our defence the way it is.

Wharton is a real talent and the only player I've seen in the England squad for a good decade plus that might finally be that deep lying playmaker. If we are going to stick with Bellingham as a 10 and Foden left then he's the best option in my opinion. I don't see any reason why he can't perform for England as he has done for Palace. I'd personally drop Bellingham in - the guy wants the ball all the time so drop him where he can have it and run the game. He can burst forwards from deep - his goal came from him in a deeper position and running into the box, Foden was in the 10 space ahead of him before it was slotted through to Saka.
Good shout that. How about Rice as a centre back too?

Mostly because we need more width, not less.

Ditch TAA for Gordon, have Rice, Bellingham and Foden in the middle and 2 wingers holding their width and that maximises the space for Bellingham and Foden to create/score.

Southgate would never do that, especially with our defence the way it is.

I wonder if he's ever heard "attack is the best form of defence".

I wasn't concerned about us conceding at all when we were attacking with fluidity in the first 30 mins. When we dropped off and started booting it long to gift possession away was when I didn't feel quite as comfortable.

He's shown no signs of addressing the glaring fault from the Croatia semi final or Italy final.

Someone should chuck him Pep: The Evolution. Few basics in there that might help him get his head around a better approach to defending.

Spoiler alert - letting the opposition camp in your half and kicking the ball straight to them isn't the answer

I wonder if he's ever heard "attack is the best form of defence".

I wasn't concerned about us conceding at all when we were attacking with fluidity in the first 30 mins. When we dropped off and started booting it long to gift possession away was when I didn't feel quite as comfortable.

He's shown no signs of addressing the glaring fault from the Croatia semi final or Italy final.

Someone should chuck him Pep: The Evolution. Few basics in there that might help him get his head around a better approach to defending.

Spoiler alert - letting the opposition camp in your half and kicking the ball straight to them isn't the answer
Exactly this.

I always remember back in Pep’s first season, when we were winning by one and he kept subbing on midfielders and the co-commentators going mad because they thought he was mad not to put as many 6 foot 4 centre halves on the pitch as possible.

When Pep was asked why, he said that we don’t need more defenders if we have the ball. More midfielders means we keep the ball.

Southgate needs to learn that we can’t concede if we have the football. It is harder though as Pickford can’t keep calm and our other keeper options are even worse. That makes the build up much harder to master.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.