England Squad - Euro 2024

He broke up loads of the play and did so much work that gets little credit - he was one of our better players protecting the back 4.

That's the thing though isn't it, do we really want someone there who is just a destroyer and a runner?

He really does slow everything down and choose slow easy passes. His body shape is poor in possession also, limiting his passing options.

He's old school England. Very good in defensive ways, but limited in terms of possession.

Having watched him lately, I don't really think Pep can have wanted him. Just not technical enough.

That's the thing though isn't it, do we really want someone there who is just a destroyer and a runner?

He really does slow everything down and choose slow easy passes. His body shape is poor in possession also, limiting his passing options.

He's old school England. Very good in defensive ways, but limited in terms of possession.

Having watched him lately, I don't really think Pep can have wanted him. Just not technical enough.

He has the ability to play much further forward.
I watched him for many years at West Ham , he ran the show, box to box, sprayed the ball around - complete player and the best iv'e ever seen in a Hammers shirt.

For Arsenal this year he has gone up another level.

He has the ability to play much further forward.
I watched him for many years at West Ham , he ran the show, box to box, sprayed the ball around - complete player and the best iv'e ever seen in a Hammers shirt.

For Arsenal this year he has gone up another level.

Feel like him and Bellingham have grown up wanting to be Steven Gerrard. Charging about, trying to do everything and win the game on their own.

None of the best nations have had midfielders like that for years.

you like chucking the WUM card up whenever someone has a different view.

Saka has been good for England, for many years - practically anyone involved in the game would agree with that. so hows that wumming.

as for the post you mention, i was the first one to give it a like - he made some fair points.
Only tend to throw it out to to you Mark because the alternative would be you’re actually being honest when talking England and we all know that’s too batshit a theory to be true.

I wonder if he's ever heard "attack is the best form of defence".

I wasn't concerned about us conceding at all when we were attacking with fluidity in the first 30 mins. When we dropped off and started booting it long to gift possession away was when I didn't feel quite as comfortable.

He's shown no signs of addressing the glaring fault from the Croatia semi final or Italy final.

Someone should chuck him Pep: The Evolution. Few basics in there that might help him get his head around a better approach to defending.

Spoiler alert - letting the opposition camp in your half and kicking the ball straight to them isn't the answer
Thats what was infuriating. The start was excellent. When we retreated and repeated the Croatia and Italy games it just showed me we are fucked. Zero progression at all tactically

Exactly this.

I always remember back in Pep’s first season, when we were winning by one and he kept subbing on midfielders and the co-commentators going mad because they thought he was mad not to put as many 6 foot 4 centre halves on the pitch as possible.

When Pep was asked why, he said that we don’t need more defenders if we have the ball. More midfielders means we keep the ball.

Southgate needs to learn that we can’t concede if we have the football. It is harder though as Pickford can’t keep calm and our other keeper options are even worse. That makes the build up much harder to master.
If he hasnt learned that by now he never will. I go fucking crazy at the tv when pickford gets the ball cos i know its going 70 yards to the opposition

If he hasnt learned that by now he never will. I go fucking crazy at the tv when pickford gets the ball cos i know its going 70 yards to the opposition
Wonder when we will actually have a keeper who is good with their feet. There don’t even seem to be any coming through. Trafford maybe, but he looks cumbersome.

He broke up loads of the play and did so much work that gets little credit - he was one of our better players protecting the back 4.
If you read the post, i didnt question his defensive ability. Hes good at that no question. When he gets it hes a lot poorer than I thought. His pass is always easy and to the right. Very limited. Also, when we were under pressure and needed to keep the ball he was nowehere to be seen when Pickford had it. We need possession. I saw Foden and Bellingham dropping right in front of him offering an out, didnt see Rice.

Wonder when we will actually have a keeper who is good with their feet. There don’t even seem to be any coming through. Trafford maybe, but he looks cumbersome.
I wonder whether its Pickford not being comfortable making a short pass (surely he can) or whether its tactical to go long? I cant believe if we structured to play out that we couldnt give the goalie an option of a 5-10 yard pass out and build. Pickford can surely make that pass, mind you he looks like he gets a thrill out of hoofing it

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.