England v France - Sat 10th Dec, 19:00 | Quarter-final | World Cup 2022

Match Result Prediction

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The problem in our team is the right defender. Koundé or Pavard are not good enough in this position and its a true weak link in our formation.
But from a french perspective, you have a lot of amazing player, but Southgate has trouble to make them play "naturally". Like maybe he overcomplicate things too much. Is it true or just my thought ?

Southgate's only real issue is that he's naturally a defensive minded coach in a squad that is far more stacked at the top end of the pitch. If he can get the best out of Foden, Mount, Saka etc and get them playing for England as they do for their clubs most weeks, then they are a match for absolutely anyone. He also has a tendency to react to what other managers are doing rather than be the one to try to change things up first when things aren't going as planned. He's extremely passive at times.

Nobody can argue with his record though. Considering where England were at when he took over, a World Cup semi, Euros final, Nations League semi and now at least a World Cup Quarter-Final is an accomplishment. Or the job he's done in getting our players actually enjoying playing with each other and for their country.

Nobody can argue with his record though. Considering where England were at when he took over, a World Cup semi, Euros final, Nations League semi and now at least a World Cup Quarter-Final is an accomplishment.
Personally I think he has to actually win something or show that England can beat teams of an equal standing. He has fallen short on those counts so far. England have generally beaten teams that you would expect them to win against but not managed to get them past good (but still beatable) sides like Italy and Croatia.

This time though, he has a real opportunity to put those criticisms to bed as it looks a fairly tough path to winning the World Cup from here on in. Most likely France, Portugal and Brazil. Win those and his legacy is secure. Fail and those question marks will still remain.

Personally I think he has to actually win something or show that England can beat teams of an equal standing. He has fallen short on those counts so far. England have generally beaten teams that you would expect them to win against but not managed to get them past good (but still beatable) sides like Italy and Croatia.

This time though, he has a real opportunity to put those criticisms to bed as it looks a fairly tough path to winning the World Cup from here on in. Most likely France, Portugal and Brazil. Win those and his legacy is secure. Fail and those question marks will still remain.

Croatia at the time were at their peak and we were underdogs in that game. No biggie getting knocked out against the side they had 4 years ago. I thought we did hand Italy the game to a large extent but it shouldn't be forgotten that they were on a world record run at that time. We've beaten Germany and Croatia in important games under Southgate which was a big step in the right direction. And we have beaten Spain under him too in a Nations League game, I think we won 2-3 from what I remember. Losing to France can happen and I won't suddenly think any less of him should we lose. That's not to say he doesn't have some flaws though.

Whatever happens this weekend, I think England are here to stay as a force to be reckoned with for the coming years. It should also be said that other Nations just aren't as strong as they were 10-15 years ago, the likes of Netherlands, Germany, Croatia and Spain etc. They've all been significantly stronger in recent years. Italy too. Looking ahead to the next WC, I'm sure the likes of Jacob Ramsey, Harvey Elliott, Cole Palmer, Charlie Patino, Marcus Edwards and Noni Madueke are all gong to either be a part of that squad or very much knocking on the door.

Whatever happens this weekend, I think England are here to stay as a force to be reckoned with for the coming years. It should also be said that other Nations just aren't as strong as they were 10-15 years ago, the likes of Netherlands, Germany, Croatia and Spain etc. They've all been significantly stronger in recent years. Italy too. Looking ahead to the next WC, I'm sure the likes of Jacob Ramsey, Harvey Elliott, Cole Palmer, Charlie Patino, Marcus Edwards and Noni Madueke are all gong to either be a part of that squad or very much knocking on the door.
England have been a force to be reckoned with for the past 4/5 tournament. It’s time they go and prove it by winning something or it’ll be forever words.

Previously posted in the wrong thread.

Stop Foden and you stop England.

If I was Deschamps I'd be looking to do what the USA did to us, knowing he has much better players, and with a far more lethal attack. They will cut off Bellingham's passing lanes to Foden and be happy with Kane dropping deep to collect the ball knowing the only options for him is to pass back/sideways to is Rice, Henderson and the centre halves. This could mean it allows Saka some space to run into, but I imagine they'll take that risk thinking he's far more likely to turn the ball over. I wonder if they might switch Mbappe to the right and let him run at Shaw and Maguire instead of at Walker and Stones.

If we play 433 then I'm wanting Foden on the right, as it also counters the threat of Mbappe on that side, and start Grealish on the left, he keeps the ball and wins freekicks. Depending on his fitness I'd start Phillips alongside Rice.

Many don't want to see it, but going with the back 3 might be the right call here. Drop Saka to the bench for Trippier and allow Foden a free role behind Kane, let him cause confusion and drag their midfield and defenders around creating space for Bellingham to exploit.

My hope is the French are over confident and play a cavalier style that affords us plenty of space on the counter.

I love how much everyone is talking about Phil.

It's plain to see he's our best player for many years (since Gazza?)

Think it’s a bit premature to be talking about Walkers kegs going or losing a yard. He’s feeling his way back in after injury. I’m pretty sure when he needs to turn the boosters on he’s still going to catch anybody he’s up against.
I’d be more concerned with him dropping one of the bollocks he tends to do every so often rather than him not keeping up with an attacker.
Who's taken Walker's kegs ffs..

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.