England v France - Sat 10th Dec, 19:00 | Quarter-final | World Cup 2022

Match Result Prediction

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Previously posted in the wrong thread.

Stop Foden and you stop England.

If I was Deschamps I'd be looking to do what the USA did to us, knowing he has much better players, and with a far more lethal attack. They will cut off Bellingham's passing lanes to Foden and be happy with Kane dropping deep to collect the ball knowing the only options for him is to pass back/sideways to is Rice, Henderson and the centre halves. This could mean it allows Saka some space to run into, but I imagine they'll take that risk thinking he's far more likely to turn the ball over. I wonder if they might switch Mbappe to the right and let him run at Shaw and Maguire instead of at Walker and Stones.

If we play 433 then I'm wanting Foden on the right, as it also counters the threat of Mbappe on that side, and start Grealish on the left, he keeps the ball and wins freekicks. Depending on his fitness I'd start Phillips alongside Rice.

Many don't want to see it, but going with the back 3 might be the right call here. Drop Saka to the bench for Trippier and allow Foden a free role behind Kane, let him cause confusion and drag their midfield and defenders around creating space for Bellingham to exploit.

My hope is the French are over confident and play a cavalier style that affords us plenty of space on the counter.
So basically what you’re saying is get as many city players in side as possible ;)

I think he will go with Saka on the right, Phil on the left.

I think Waistcoat views Saka as more defensively responsible, considering he’s even played him left wing back before. So I could see him putting him on the right, tracking back to help out Walker if we feel the biggest threat is on that side of the pitch.

It's time to step up. Qualifying groups are made easy to ensure as many top teams as possible get to the tournament's. Once there many of the group stages are similar. We usually get past the teams we should beat but fail when we step up in class. I think Germany at the Euros was an exception. It's tough from here on in and I think we'll fail again but a bit of luck and who knows?

England have been a force to be reckoned with for the past 4/5 tournament. It’s time they go and prove it by winning something or it’ll be forever words.

5 tournaments ago was 2014 World Cup, we were the worst team there, finished rock bottom of the group. 4 tournaments ago was euro 2016, we got sent home by Iceland while trying to play a past it Rooney in centre midfield.

It’s only since 2018 we have looked semi decent and that was a favourable draw but considering in previous tournaments we shit the bed against even worse teams, we have to say we did well.

I think last euros showed signs we are finding our feet as real contenders in international tournaments, especially in mentality

And this world cup we have navigated to this quarter final comfortably. The previous generation used to go flat out to reach this point before inevitably losing. If they even got this far.

We may lose to France tomorrow because they’re a top side, but it’s promising we can reach this stage while pretty much coasting.

Previously posted in the wrong thread.

Stop Foden and you stop England.

If I was Deschamps I'd be looking to do what the USA did to us, knowing he has much better players, and with a far more lethal attack. They will cut off Bellingham's passing lanes to Foden and be happy with Kane dropping deep to collect the ball knowing the only options for him is to pass back/sideways to is Rice, Henderson and the centre halves. This could mean it allows Saka some space to run into, but I imagine they'll take that risk thinking he's far more likely to turn the ball over. I wonder if they might switch Mbappe to the right and let him run at Shaw and Maguire instead of at Walker and Stones.

If we play 433 then I'm wanting Foden on the right, as it also counters the threat of Mbappe on that side, and start Grealish on the left, he keeps the ball and wins freekicks. Depending on his fitness I'd start Phillips alongside Rice.

Many don't want to see it, but going with the back 3 might be the right call here. Drop Saka to the bench for Trippier and allow Foden a free role behind Kane, let him cause confusion and drag their midfield and defenders around creating space for Bellingham to exploit.

My hope is the French are over confident and play a cavalier style that affords us plenty of space on the counter.

The USA are one of the few teams to play with any real pressure on the ball. Foden also didn't play against them so we'll never know if they'd have been able to stop him! Considering we were ahead against Croatia and Italy with a back 5 then we should start with it, score, and then switch to a back 4!

I honestly think its our to lose . But i think its all on southgate. If he plays not to lose, like he did v italy, we are fucked , but play to our strengths and let them worry more about us than we do them and its ours
I agree.

I think he should stick with a back four and start the same team and system as the last game.
France are a different gravy, but well beatable.
We obviously have to keep Mbappe (Walker needs a huge game) and Greizmann quiet, but their defence has looked dodgy at times so if we use our width we should be able to get at them. We just need to move the ball quicker through midfield though.

This is a big test but we have players who have played in big games both at club and international level so we should be ready.

I'm going 3-2 England.

I agree.

I think he should stick with a back four and start the same team and system as the last game.
France are a different gravy, but well beatable.
We obviously have to keep Mbappe (Walker needs a huge game) and Greizmann quiet, but their defence has looked dodgy at times so if we use our width we should be able to get at them. We just need to move the ball quicker through midfield though.

This is a big test but we have players who have played in big games both at club and international level so we should be ready.

I'm going 3-2 England.
I fear the worse to be honest and its my gripe with southgate that when it comes for the time to flop a big set of balls out, he tucks his between his legs

It’s a tough game but one we can win. If we do win I don’t think it’s impossible we could win this thing. I’m not a big Southgate fan but he’s stumbled upon his best team (presuming he sticks with them). I was impressed he resisted the calls for Rashford despite him scoring two. In that game if he hadnt been greedy Foden would have had a hat trick and he recognised that with his selection against Senegal.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.