England v Iceland - Fri 7th June, 19:45 | Friendly

I have followed international tournements since 1982 , the problem Southgate has is that , Brazil, Argentina, Netherland, France, Germany, Italy and Spain have been miles off there best but his England squat is even better then ever , so he has not the same competition the others had . Southgate has pissed away what should have been a great English team.
So just off the top of my head Keegan, Francis, Shilton, Robson, Sansom, Brooking (if they taught him how to run ! ) from the 1982 side would walk into this England team. Terry Butcher too if he was around then ?

Don’t believe all the media PL hype that this bunch are world beaters playing in by far the best league in the world, they aren’t.

So just off the top of my head Keegan, Francis, Shilton, Robson, Sansom, Brooking (if they taught him how to run ! ) from the 1982 side would walk into this England team. Terry Butcher too if he was around then ?

Don’t believe all the media PL hype that this bunch are world beaters playing in by far the best league in the world, they aren’t.
the 1982 England team was great but in 1982 Brazil , Germany, France and Italy where better team.

Francis (one of my favorites) would not have played if Keegan hadnt been injured.
Brooking was so slow he would not yave a change today . It is hard judging teams from a different time it was a different sport.
But what we can do is judging the competition now and there was alot harder winning 1982 WC against those team then it is today . My opinion

First time I've watched England for a bit, maybe we're spoiled with Pep but I was dumbfounded by the lack of a plan...any plan.

Play Rice and Mainoo in the centre, yet neither offered any defensive cover or for forward into the box to support the attack. What was the plan there?

Should have been a concerted effort to get Foden, Palmer on the ball yet time after time they were bypass, often by Harry 'the lone wanderer ' Kane who'd decided to play quarterback to set up the counter attack, so that Gordan could cross too the imaginary twelfth man.

You have to question that manager after that
What was the plan? What were the game changing options off the bench and what did he send them on to do? Hopefully a hiccup but, essentially, a pathetic performance. Please make him United manager.

He needs to grow some balls. Tell Kane to stick up the field. Tell the team to work the ball to our playmakers. Drop the two man midfield if you don't have an understanding between them. Or a plan.
Mainoo is non-existent defensively. I am not sure what his best position will eventually be but he has no awareness of danger and takes up the wrong positions on the pitch. United's midfield was terrible last season and he was a big part of that. Not saying he's a bad player but he does not have the discipline for a defensive midfield role. Teams wiill just run straight through England as they did to United all season.

Spot-on. Virtually no world-class players in the England squad. As you say perhaps Kane, Foden, Bellingham but all of them have already played too many games for their clubs. Both Walker and Stones have not been at their best this season and the rest of the defence, including the keeper, is bang average. The media coverage is, as usual, absurd and the team is over-hyped. That said I am not a fan of Southgate. He's bang average as well.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.