England v Iceland - Fri 7th June, 19:45 | Friendly

Mainoo is non-existent defensively. I am not sure what his best position will eventually be but he has no awareness of danger and takes up the wrong positions on the pitch. United's midfield was terrible last season and he was a big part of that. Not saying he's a bad player but he does not have the discipline for a defensive midfield role. Teams wiill just run straight through England as they did to United all season.
I just read an article discussing Southgate's team selection. He said that that young Eventon centre-back was excluded because he is not ready yet. He played all season in the centre of their defence. On the other hand Mainoo was selected having only played since October. Gues his inclusion is because he plays for a team in red because to my mind the Everton lad has far more game experience.

I just read an article discussing Southgate's team selection. He said that that young Eventon centre-back was excluded because he is not ready yet. He played all season in the centre of their defence. On the other hand Mainoo was selected having only played since October. Gues his inclusion is because he plays for a team in red because to my mind the Everton lad has far more game experience.

Mainoo first capped at 18 years old and Phil was 20 years old, in no alternate universe was the rag a better prospect than Phil at any time IMHO.

Picked on form but Toney gets in. Wouldn't look too hard into what he said, full of contradictions.

I believe Grealish missed out purely because with Maguire injured Southgate took an extra defender because he isn't sure if Dunk or Guehi are the better option when Branthwaite was the answer.

Mainoo showed enough on Friday to convince anyone with half a brain he isn't good enough. We didn't need an extra "holding" midfielder in that game but when you play one what we can't do is give the ball away and be part of a shite defensive unit.

44ca569beb564da7cc3141a6d5f48bec579.jpg
Someone tell him

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1717918836934.jpg
    FB_IMG_1717918836934.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 17
Agreed.

Of course Branthwaite is young and probably nowhere near as good as he'll eventually be. But a good season in central defence in an Everton side that's had to defend a lot to stay in the league proves he's a decent player who can handle pressure. It's not like he's competing for a place with loads of experienced centre-backs - that position is pretty much Stones the veteran alongside a selection of players with a handful of caps. Makes more sense in that context to give talented 21-year-old Branthwaite the opportunity over solid but uninspiring 32-year-old Dunk.

For me, Mainoo has promise. He's tenacious and drives forward on the front foot, and those are good qualities. But he's also defensively naive, positionally poor and his league experience is a few months in a midfield that hasn't worked out how not to be overrun. I don't think he's good enough right now for the senior squad - should be learning his trade in the under 21s, I don't think he meets the threshold to be skipping that step.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.