England v Italy | Nations League | Sat 11th June '22

Maybe bias - but Mount is still part of problem.

I checked the touch map of the match on wholescore and it confirmed my feeling. Mount does not have touch in Zone 14 - which should be occupied by a No 10 role if playing 4-2-3-1. And it is critical to unblock a low block. It is visible that we lack of the connection between 2 wings - which is usually offered by Kane. Funny part is that Grealish and Sterling have quite a few central touches around Zone 14.

Mount's touches are mostly on the wings. He plays more like an extra winger (on both sides) rather than a real No 10 role by influencing the game centrally. Bellingham actually did a bit better when he played in that role - although it was a friendly game.

So, I'm basing this view off the last two England games I saw partially; the first game I saw under Southgate, it could very well be like a Man City set up or a sort of attempt at it.

Then I saw the Germany game, partially, and that set up looked nothing like the first I saw!

Is that assumption correct?

Maybe bias - but Mount is still part of problem.

I checked the touch map of the match on wholescore and it confirmed my feeling. Mount does not have touch in Zone 14 - which should be occupied by a No 10 role if playing 4-2-3-1. And it is critical to unblock a low block. It is visible that we lack of the connection between 2 wings - which is usually offered by Kane. Funny part is that Grealish and Sterling have quite a few central touches around Zone 14.

Mount's touches are mostly on the wings. He plays more like an extra winger (on both sides) rather than a real No 10 role by influencing the game centrally. Bellingham actually did a bit better when he played in that role - although it was a friendly game.
Drop Mount, play Foden.

Problem solved.

Play the best players in the positons and to the strenghs they play each week

Most teams they are from are playing some form of 4-3-3

Pickford
Walker, stones, tomori, justin
Rice
Bowen, foden
Sterling, kane, grealish

As james justin is the only natural LB in a completely unbalanced squad and the attacking central midfielders that play in front of a DM consist of mount and ward-prowse, I would do what west ham have done several times and utilise Bowen who is able to play on the right side of that position.

Play attacking passing football and entertain

Last edited:
TBH I think that Grealish and Sterling did not see the ball as much as usual in England games. And when they did have the others not in sync. Attacking is more focused on Mount. But he did poorly except the first 15min. Perhaps it is an experiment.
I thought Grealish was class. Best player on the pitch.

His touch and passing were superb. He had everything.
Mount looked nowhere near his standard. And some, as you say, well out of sync.

We seem to have a big difference in passing ability at the top level.
Grealish level should be standard across the board.

Mark my words 10years from now we will all look back and realise that yet again a sub standard manager is the reason we are still looking back at 1966 for our only major trophy :(
Southgates had a free ride because Hodgson/ Neville made a mockery of the job now folk think that semi finals and getting to a final is brilliant when in reality a better manager would have us stood as reigning European and world champions

Southgates had a free ride because Hodgson/ Neville made a mockery of the job
Ratboy was supposed to be England's defence coach, wasn't he? Euro 2016 vs Iceland and despite being warned time and time again about the long throw our defence was caught napping and allowed them to score. What sort of defence coach wouldn't have been prepared for that? That's right, Ratboy. But he's a pundit now and sits with his mates and instructs other managers how to do the job. The rodent-faced twat who failed miserably in his attempts at management is now being paid a bloated wage packet by Sky to 'educate' the likes of Pep, Bingo, Tuchel etc on how to correctly manage a football team.
And this is where the root of all our (England's) problems can be found: the old jobs-for-the-boys system where ability means sweet fuck all if your face doesn't fit.

Look at the present incumbent, Waistcoat Woy.' A man so devoid of footballing nous he makes Mike Basset look like Pep. With his inexplicable adoration for Slabhead and over-reliance Kane(pen) Southgate has dragged us down to the level of plucky minnows instead of the formidable, swashbuckling side the currently available players would make us.
But Southgate is a poster-boy for the FA and therefor is allowed to drag us down to the depths simply because 'his face fits.'

I remember Hodgson once saying to a reporter: "If Wooney had a bwoken leg his name would still be first on the team sheet.' And that is precisely the sort of attitude that has condemned us to tournament failure year after year after year (yes, I'm aware we've been close before).

We have some great players to choose from in this country, some extremely talented players for most positions. But there is little or no point in calling them up to the squad if you're going to force the flair players into defence-minded positions all the time. Small wonder a lot of the England players look like they are simply going through the motions when they don the Three Lions shirt.

England tactics going forward are bewildering, and not in a good way. Too often players make the same run or occupy the same space (particularly frustrating on the left as Grealish is attracting loads opposition players but his own teammates are also being drawn into the same space so there's no out-ball). All very safe and in front of the opposition.

And I still can't believe there's no natural left back in the squad. Trippier's pretty solid and reliable but he's the safe, dull choice and unlikely to contribute much going forward.

Ramsdale's imperfect but to my untrained eye more reliable than Pickford, and considering his youth I think he'll hopefully improve over the next few years to be a decent England number 1.

Okay debut from Tomori. Looked pretty comfortable until a couple of tired errors late on, I assume he's not fully fit?

Disappointed Grealish wasn't really able to capitalise on the Germany performance. Feels like he's getting mixed messages from the manager and he's torn between his natural game of running at teams, and wanting to prove he can be safe and sensible and retain possession (also great work from the channel 4 commentators on the same message... rinsing him out for trying a pass on the edge of the Italian box that got intercepted, saying he needs to be more careful with the ball, then a few minutes later criticising the rest of the team for not taking risks going forward).

Italy looked pretty good. Obviously a young side and I think they could be got at, but some nice stuff going forward.
Good Post

The interception was easy. The player, can’t remember who, ran away from the ball. Instead of making himself available and recycling or creating.

The ‘luxury player’ comment couldn’t have been far behind either.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.