England v Italy | Nations League | Sat 11th June '22

Southgate is a boring bleeder with a ski slope nose and a concerned look on his face.
There is no passion, just dullness.
That is reflected in the 'style' of football he has the team play, with little pace and disjointed.
So much talent on the pitch, but not used properly.
It reminds me of the old Eric Morecambe gag where he tells Andre Previn that he is playing "all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order..."

The big problem for me seems to be that the defensive approach seems to come more from the manager's fear of losing than from the team's strengths.

The first-choice England defence is decent (see the Euros run), not without a potential error or moment of madness but largely reliable and given their form together I think most managers would give them one sitting midfielder to protect them and then just give them a bit of responsibility for making sure they don't concede. Without Walker, Stones and one of Shaw/Chilwell, they look a bit rickety, but it's on them to improve and challenge those first choice players.

Of course the rest of the team should press and track back, but their biggest concerns shouldn't be defensive.

But under Southgate, there's a load of dynamic and creative attacking talent (Kane - chasing the English goalscoring record, Abraham - more goals in a single Serie A season than any Englishman ever, Sterling - fantastic scoring record for a winger, Foden - one of the world's most exciting young attacking talents, Grealish - one of Europe's top chance creators, etc. etc.)

And that talent's being judged on its defensive prowess, on how well it protects a defence that should be able to look after itself, rather than being tasked with making sure England score goals.

If we had a world class defence and an uninspiring attack, I'd get the obsession with being hard to beat and hoping the odd goal goes in for us. But we have a solid defence and a potentially world class attack so we should be playing up to that.

Don't get me started on the need for some midfield control.

Ratboy was supposed to be England's defence coach, wasn't he? Euro 2016 vs Iceland and despite being warned time and time again about the long throw our defence was caught napping and allowed them to score. What sort of defence coach wouldn't have been prepared for that? That's right, Ratboy. But he's a pundit now and sits with his mates and instructs other managers how to do the job. The rodent-faced twat who failed miserably in his attempts at management is now being paid a bloated wage packet by Sky to 'educate' the likes of Pep, Bingo, Tuchel etc on how to correctly manage a football team.
And this is where the root of all our (England's) problems can be found: the old jobs-for-the-boys system where ability means sweet fuck all if your face doesn't fit.

Look at the present incumbent, Waistcoat Woy.' A man so devoid of footballing nous he makes Mike Basset look like Pep. With his inexplicable adoration for Slabhead and over-reliance Kane(pen) Southgate has dragged us down to the level of plucky minnows instead of the formidable, swashbuckling side the currently available players would make us.
But Southgate is a poster-boy for the FA and therefor is allowed to drag us down to the depths simply because 'his face fits.'

I remember Hodgson once saying to a reporter: "If Wooney had a bwoken leg his name would still be first on the team sheet.' And that is precisely the sort of attitude that has condemned us to tournament failure year after year after year (yes, I'm aware we've been close before).

We have some great players to choose from in this country, some extremely talented players for most positions. But there is little or no point in calling them up to the squad if you're going to force the flair players into defence-minded positions all the time. Small wonder a lot of the England players look like they are simply going through the motions when they don the Three Lions shirt.
There are plenty of good managers out there who could do a better job, but I have say most of them are foreign. Klopp and Pep would be ideal (but we don’t want to lose them from club management for a long time yet!), however it should be an older more experienced guy like Ancelotti.

Ratboy was supposed to be England's defence coach, wasn't he? Euro 2016 vs Iceland and despite being warned time and time again about the long throw our defence was caught napping and allowed them to score. What sort of defence coach wouldn't have been prepared for that? That's right, Ratboy. But he's a pundit now and sits with his mates and instructs other managers how to do the job. The rodent-faced twat who failed miserably in his attempts at management is now being paid a bloated wage packet by Sky to 'educate' the likes of Pep, Bingo, Tuchel etc on how to correctly manage a football team.
And this is where the root of all our (England's) problems can be found: the old jobs-for-the-boys system where ability means sweet fuck all if your face doesn't fit.

Look at the present incumbent, Waistcoat Woy.' A man so devoid of footballing nous he makes Mike Basset look like Pep. With his inexplicable adoration for Slabhead and over-reliance Kane(pen) Southgate has dragged us down to the level of plucky minnows instead of the formidable, swashbuckling side the currently available players would make us.
But Southgate is a poster-boy for the FA and therefor is allowed to drag us down to the depths simply because 'his face fits.'

I remember Hodgson once saying to a reporter: "If Wooney had a bwoken leg his name would still be first on the team sheet.' And that is precisely the sort of attitude that has condemned us to tournament failure year after year after year (yes, I'm aware we've been close before).

We have some great players to choose from in this country, some extremely talented players for most positions. But there is little or no point in calling them up to the squad if you're going to force the flair players into defence-minded positions all the time. Small wonder a lot of the England players look like they are simply going through the motions when they don the Three Lions shirt.
Very well said.
Who should England appoint as next manager though?
Eddie Howe? Graham Potter?
(Sean Dyche is immediately available too I believe...)
: )

I mean look back to 2018 and the Croatia game when we had them on the ropes and what does he do when they are having a go back at us ??? He sits back and does nothing to try and stem the flow till it’s to late :(. Now I can understand it if he learned from it but the same thing happened against Italy honestly this side will go deep into this years world cup but it won’t be the players that fail ......... it will be down to a manager who simply ain’t got it in him to get us over the winning line ...............we really do have the players to cope with ANY team on this planet sadly we ain’t got the manager to do it :(

Very well said.
Who should England appoint as next manager though?
Eddie Howe? Graham Potter?
(Sean Dyche is immediately available too I believe...)
: )
Get Zidane or Low in so the mail and sun can explode at a frenchman or german managing england.

It would be dyche knowing our FA

[Clipped]

Disappointed Grealish wasn't really able to capitalise on the Germany performance. Feels like he's getting mixed messages from the manager and he's torn between his natural game of running at teams, and wanting to prove he can be safe and sensible and retain possession (also great work from the channel 4 commentators on the same message... rinsing him out for trying a pass on the edge of the Italian box that got intercepted, saying he needs to be more careful with the ball, then a few minutes later criticising the rest of the team for not taking risks going forward).

Italy looked pretty good. Obviously a young side and I think they could be got at, but some nice stuff going forward.
On Jack getting "mixed messages" from the manager: After he played a blinder last game as an impact sub, Southgate decided to reward that effort by criticising him in the press conference by saying he needs to improve tactically and basically digging him out for not tracking back/doing enough defensively. (For the record, I think this criticism is bullshit. Grealish performs well for City defensively now, but of course he was focusing on attacking in that Germany game because a goal was desperately needed. He also had a couple dozen England defensive players behind him on the pitch.)

Next match, Jack gets a precious start (most likely because Southgate felt he had no choice after his previous performance) and works his socks off defensively, presumably because he'd seen the press conference (because GS said nothing to him personally about what was required). So what does Southgate do in the press conference? Snidely digs him out for not scoring. Apparently Jack is supposed to do Harry Kane's job as well, because Kane sure as shit ain't doing it for England lately.

In his pre-match interview on Channel Four, Jack was asked about communication from Southgate on what is required of him by the manager, and he said that Southgate hadn't spoken to him personally, they'd just had team meetings. Jack had also said after the Germany game that before coming on Southgate had basically told him just to do his thing on the pitch. No mention of acting as part-defender which he later criticised him for in public.

So Southgate gives Jack no specific coaching on how he wants him to play for England except to make snide remarks in press conferences, whilst liberally praising others who've done less to deserve it. Seems like Southgate's attitude towards Grealish is pretty toxic by now, and except that I know Jack really wants to play for England, I'd want him to withdraw himself for consideration for the national side and tell Southgate to go fuck himself.

Southgate is stealing a living in that job. He's a useless piece of shit as a man manager and clueless tactically.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.