England v Italy | Nations League | Sat 11th June '22

I dont disagree with your approach and playing like there was nothing to lose might not have been a bad idea.

Unfortunately that goes against Southgates style, where not conceding precedes scoring. His entire philosophy is built around being airtight in defense and squeezing goals from set pieces. Of course that doesn't always work, but no tactical style does.

Part of me also thinks that the players have just come off a full season and now they're playing in a tournament that literally only exists as a replacement to friendlies. They weren't going to go balls to the wall for this.
Yep. Spot on. It's been a long and bruising campaign just in the Prem this past season, let alone the Champs League, FA Cup, League Cup (or whatever it's called) and the numerous internationals - friendlies or otherwise. This whole Nations League is yet another cynical attempt to make money from the popularity of the game. There is no prestige or honour in playing a pointless tournament that people don't want and the players don't need.

But this is football today: football fans are important when they are buying tickets, otherwise the authorities couldn't give a rats arse about us.

He's also played piss poor teams to get there and proven to fail as soon as a decent organised team shows up against him.
I wasn't bigging him up, more like just saying that every England coach in history has achieved fuck all, apart from Ramsey.
Southgate is no different to all of the others

Reactions: mat
I wasn't bigging him up, more like just saying that every England coach in history has achieved fuck all, apart from Ramsey.
Apologies.

I misunderstood your post.

I'd say he's worse than most,based on that there appears to be no real outstanding international teams at the moment.
No great Brazilian,French,German,Spanish,(and a few more) sides about that there had been in the relatively recent past.

Southgate has been the 2nd best manager we've had. I'd say don't break something that isn't broke... But we've heard all this shit before from our press and media stoking up the news.

He's got no charisma,
the team don't play exciting football,
his achievements are against easier teams.
This is a golden generation and we're wasting them...

All said about errikson, media campaign from our red tops got him ousted. Players threatening to go on strike because he was actually good. And all the sheep fans bought into it

We ended up with mclaren. Careful what you wish for because Southgate is actually doing quite well considering the finals and semis we have reached.

I suspect sacking him will see a downturn in our fortunes, just doesn't seem worth the risk imo.

To say Southgate tries to emulate Pep is so wide of the mark.
Klopp must be his mentor surely.
No goals in open play from the last 3 games (or cup finals) and just a scored penalty to boot.
Reminds me of that awesome team from down the East Lancs not the Champions of England

To say Southgate tries to emulate Pep is so wide of the mark.
Klopp must be his mentor surely.
No goals in open play from the last 3 games (or cup finals) and just a scored penalty to boot.
Reminds me of that awesome team from down the East Lancs not the Champions of England

More likely he's trying to emulate Roy Hodgson.

Graham Potter will not necessarily win England the World Cup in Qatar but would be an improvement.

He's also played piss poor teams to get there and proven to fail as soon as a decent organised team shows up against him.
The last World Cup must have been one of the easiest routes to a semi final ever. It was akin to looking back at the runs some teams had to win the European Cup in years gone by.

Reactions: mat

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.