England V Italy, Quarter Final 2012 (merged)

How many fucking times does 4-4-2 need to die at international level before England managers finally get it? You need to match the opposition in central midfield - fucking simple as that. Especially if you are playing a midfield that has never played together in history at club level (Gerrard and Parker) against a currently established midfield at the Italian Champions (Pirlo and Marchisio, with the addition of De Rossi and Montolivo).

Would probably be an unpopular view on this board, but the obvious first choice should have been Scholes and Carrick. Yes I've heard Woy's nonsense about they didn't want to be in the squad, by which he means they didn't want to be on his standby list, but you have to take players who have chemistry together and Parker/Gerrard never looked capable of even passing the ball forward or doing anything at all. Gerrard had a few moments and produced a few assists but he did nothing really to control the game because he never does that and he's not a central midfielder, his best position is behind the striker. He's a fantastic player but the Liverpool midfield worked because of Xabi Alonso, his presence allowed Gerrard to work. A midfield of Scholes, Gerrard, and Carrick might have complemented each other and not been overrun in every match. But that's too obvious so we have to go with a 4-4-2 with no obvious passer of the ball because that's what Woy is familiar with.

And the tournament should show that Lennon and Richards should not have just been in the squad, but should have been first choice. Some baffling decisions there.

Blue Haze said:
Rags on Rooney, posted today before the game

Rooney on top form is only behind Messi and Ronaldo and arguably in Xavi/Iniesta bracket. Tevez isn't. When both of them are on their day, the only thing Tevez has to his advantage is workrate - even better than Rooney's.
I personally agree that he's above Aguero, but I'd only have him slightly ahead of Tevez to be honest, and I certainly don't see anything to suggest that he's better than Ibrahimovic.
Wayne Rooney is comfortably one of the ten best footballers in the world and anyone who thinks otherwise needs to have a word with themselves.
Bang on. It's a shame, because when on fire he is only inferior to Messi and Ronaldo.

delusion
In which world is Rooney one of the ten best players ffs? Alderon? Mordor?

Blue Smarties said:
As soon as Young stepped up I said we'd lost, fucking hilarious.
Funnily enough I said to my boy "he's not looked at the goal once, he's just put the ball down and is gonna smash it and he will miss it if he does that."

It was depressing to watch, especially as we played like an Italian team and they didn't. The sneaky gits.

I'd shift the old guard now. Start with a young team with only a couple of oldies to keep them on the straight and narrow. Get them used to playing together.

Bold = Old.
Hart

Richards, Cahill, Lescott, Gibbs,

Barry Gerard

Johnson(A), Wilshire, Ox

Rooney

Uncle Wally One Ball said:
Blue Haze said:

Rooney on top form is only behind Messi and Ronaldo and arguably in Xavi/Iniesta bracket. Tevez isn't. When both of them are on their day, the only thing Tevez has to his advantage is workrate - even better than Rooney's.
I personally agree that he's above Aguero, but I'd only have him slightly ahead of Tevez to be honest, and I certainly don't see anything to suggest that he's better than Ibrahimovic.
Wayne Rooney is comfortably one of the ten best footballers in the world and anyone who thinks otherwise needs to have a word with themselves.
Bang on. It's a shame, because when on fire he is only inferior to Messi and Ronaldo.

delusion
In which world is Rooney one of the ten best players ffs? Alderon? Mordor?

Middle Earth, he is an ogre after all.

Super David Silva 21 said:
Hmmmm Talksport now realizing we shouldn't have took the Messiah about 2 weeks too late.

To be fair to him Durham was saying this at the start of the Euro's.

Juan King said:
Super David Silva 21 said:
Hmmmm Talksport now realizing we shouldn't have took the Messiah about 2 weeks too late.

To be fair to him Durham was saying this at the start of the Euro's.

As I understand it Rooney played against Sunderland and then missed the first two England games due to suspension.

Was it to much to ask him to remain match fit. To my untrained eye he looked like he'd been on a burger and booze diet.

I think that England only needs a good manager, with freaking modern tactical ideas.
Capello is/was a fecking dinosaur, Hodgson is just not good enough.
You have a lot of very good young players, with already a great international experience, who are titoular in big teams...Wilshere, Johnson, Cahill, Chamberlain, Walcott, Young....actually so much better than our italian new generation players.
You just need starting play football, that's all.

Blue Haze said:

Bullshit, I wouldn't say Tevez is definitely better than Rooney, but heck, at least Tevez still retains workrate, Rooney's getting lazier and lazier.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.