England v Slovakia - Sun 30th June, 17:00 | Euro 2024 Round of 16

Match Result Prediction?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'd expect so too, still not ideal but I think the more sensible solution. Or maybe Gomez on the left I guess.

This just popped up on my timeline:

It's painfully obvious what we had there that we're lacking now.
Partly it was Kane being 4 years younger and having a bit more mobility.

But it was also Sterling's dynamic, driving runs with the ball, Shaw being fit and on the front foot, and Grealish tying things together with well-timed and well-placed passes.

2 of those players aren't in this squad, and the other is probably too injured to feature.

That's okay, that happens - it's 4 years, you won't have the same squad in 2 different tournaments. Players are unavailable for all sorts of reasons.

But we've failed to replace those skillsets, and without them we look very ordinary.

It's a crying shame Grealish wasn't able to kick on after the treble win. He should be a nailed on starter in that England side and instead he's not even in the squad. Fingers crossed for him for next season.

It's a crying shame Grealish wasn't able to kick on after the treble win. He should be a nailed on starter in that England side and instead he's not even in the squad. Fingers crossed for him for next season.
I think Jack needed a kick up the arse after last season we all know he wasn’t good enough. No doubt he’s a class player and your right he should be a nailed on starter. Hopefully he kicks on for us next season and makes it 5 in a row.

Southgate says it's different now as our players are used to playing knockout football.
I realise now if only they played league matches for their clubs they'd have been better prepared!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ah, so whilst we were all calling for Bellingham to be dropped further back or dropped completely, the actual solution to the problem was Mainoo and keep playing exactly the same way. Who knew?
I know mate but did you really expect him to make positive changes. The fact the kid from utd isn’t a complete headless chicken and has a decent touch Southgate sees as a really attacking move!

Ah, so whilst we were all calling for Bellingham to be dropped further back or dropped completely, the actual solution to the problem was Mainoo and keep playing exactly the same way. Who knew?

Indeed.

I mean i half understand Southgate’s position but it could be solved if he had the ball bag to move Bellingham's position.

I fully understand he has one of the best finishers in the world in Kane, the best player in England foden and Bellingham who was voted best in La Liga last season. He would get absolutely slaughtered if he dropped one of them and England lost. Even if some of the public will happily slaughter Foden, dropping him would still be used as a stick to beat waistcoat with if he did and England lost. They'd ask why he dropped the best player in the Premier League.

So without dropping any of them, the only position that becomes changeable is the position Mainoo will take, and possibly Saka's position but he seems to have that tied down.

But as I said, I believe a lot of these problems could be resolved by telling Bellingham to play a bit deeper and let Foden play central. Foden is much better than Bellingham in that position. Then it frees up a space out left. It's simple but Southgate either doesn't see it, or is too stubborn to do what everyone in the media or public are screaming out for.

It may work with Mainoo vs Slovakia but it won't against a good side.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.