England v Slovakia - Sun 30th June, 17:00 | Euro 2024 Round of 16

Match Result Prediction?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I hope Southgate tears it all up for the Switzerland game, drops Foden and Walker, replaces them with TAA and Gordon and England get fucking smashed
Could do with Stones pulling a hammy in the first five minutes as well
Why would you want that?

I'll be shocked if England get passed Switzerland, Very well organised team with some seriously good players.

Xhaka is actually having a really good tournament in midfield, Akanji has possibly been the best centre back in the tournament so far along with Schar and then they've a threat up front with Vargas, Ndoye and Embolo.

Before this match the pundits were bigging up Mainoo for always wanting the ball.

I watched him and to give him credit, he does show for the ball from the defence quite often.

And in patches, he looks dynamic when running into the opposition's final third.

But the thing he lacks (and I'm not saying this is a common or easy skill, or that he'll never get there) is the ability to join those two things up. When he receives the ball from a defender, he sends it straight back to that defender or another one. He doesn't take the ball while facing his own goal, turn and then progress it forward.

He helps maintain possession at the back, and when the ball's gone forward through other means (usually up the wings) he joins in the attack. But he's not (yet?) a player that can turn defence into attack.

If Stones was at his best and we had a glut of decent centre-backs, I'd play him next to Rice - at the height of his powers he has that special skill in abundance. But he seems to still be lacking match fitness, and with Guehi suspended that'd mean an entirely new centre-back pairing with little international experience.

Has he?

I don’t think he really did much yesterday.

Thought he did well in the final game of the group but it was fresh legs against an awful and tired side.

I thought he got involved well, picked ball up and ran at players. did some nice stuff.
credit all players that have come on so far, must be bloody difficult under the intense pressure and scrutiny but Palmer, Bowen, Gordon have all come on for brief spells and not held back.

We have been shit. Second half Slovakia didn't threaten much, but aside from Rice hitting the post I don't think we did either until the long throw into the box with 30 seconds left.

We've somehow dragged ourselves to the quarter finals, wouldn't be surprised if we ground out a penalty win in this and into the semis we go.

I try not get to pent up about tactics and formations and who should start etc, its all a bit tedious when everyone has so many different ideas and rages over the line up - see it week in week out for West Ham, everyone flips about the starting line up and then we go onto win.

so yeh, whatever side lines up i won't be too fussed and see how it pans out.

Personally if i was in charge i would think about dropping Saka or Foden, just give one of them a rest for a match - Palmer has been brilliant every time he's come on, maybe Ezi or Gordon to start instead.

still not sure on that position next to Rice, Trent doesn't work, Gallagher i don't really rate, i'm not sure about Mainoo yet - i think he will stick with Mainoo as there's not really an alternative.

Bold move could be putting Saka left back.

Unsure.

I'll be in the pub early doors and be a good few beers down by kick off, so will likely not a give a shite who plays where. just be supporting and praying we get through again. It won't be easy.
By saying your not too bothered by tactics or formations it could be taken as a bit of a kop out, Or perhaps you really arnt and will be happy with the same set up? Which hasnt really worked for the last four games. Albeit we are through despite Southgate not because of him in most people's eyes.

I have concluded after last night, that as England fans we have to accept that this is as good as we are ever going to play under him.

We certainly won't ever be even attempting to play like Spain, and we won't be playing to our strengths sadly. Some players are undroppable. And some will never get on the pitch and he can't or won't change tactics.

This is as good as it gets under Gareth.

I thought he got involved well, picked ball up and ran at players. did some nice stuff.
credit all players that have come on so far, must be bloody difficult under the intense pressure and scrutiny but Palmer, Bowen, Gordon have all come on for brief spells and not held back.

Bowen?

I don't think he did anything either.

I think it's just more a case of players coming on late again poor sides and looking fresh tbh.

Before this match the pundits were bigging up Mainoo for always wanting the ball.

I watched him and to give him credit, he does show for the ball from the defence quite often.

And in patches, he looks dynamic when running into the opposition's final third.

But the thing he lacks (and I'm not saying this is a common or easy skill, or that he'll never get there) is the ability to join those two things up. When he receives the ball from a defender, he sends it straight back to that defender or another one. He doesn't take the ball while facing his own goal, turn and then progress it forward.

He helps maintain possession at the back, and when the ball's gone forward through other means (usually up the wings) he joins in the attack. But he's not (yet?) a player that can turn defence into attack.

If Stones was at his best and we had a glut of decent centre-backs, I'd play him next to Rice - at the height of his powers he has that special skill in abundance. But he seems to still be lacking match fitness, and with Guehi suspended that'd mean an entirely new centre-back pairing with little international experience.

That's always been England's issue. We don't really have anyone who can do that. Rice can't do it either. The best player is probably Wharton but Southgate's never throwing him in. We've always just looked to bypass that by playing long or into space, or going down the channels instead. Then we sit back, compact, and try to draw the opposition onto us to counter again. It's the way that suits the team because no one can turn and thread a pass through. But the personnel don't suit that counter attacking style so we're left in this hybrid approach which is just shite.

We'll be better off playing a back 5 and going toe to toe with the Swiss. Look to get pace and keep the pitch wide and get more support in and around Kane. Kane's never running in behind, but he's good at dropping in and playing others into space but he needs runners off him to do that.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.