England v Slovakia - Sun 30th June, 17:00 | Euro 2024 Round of 16

Match Result Prediction?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
What i mean by cohesion is more off the pitch, the togetherness of the players and keeping the camp happy/positive. over Southgate's tenures there's been less drama and fall outs i feel and his kept the support of the players.

whereas before it felt like there was always something going on negatively, odd player having a meltdown, more talks of players falling out, the Wags drama etc.

I think his man management on a personal level with players has benefited England and a reason we've progressed far in tournaments under him.

but yeh obviously this crazy view is me trolling.

Sterling twatted Gomez, Ben Whites walked out. There’s been lots of drama under his reign but just controlled the media better.

few things to unpick here.

I think i agree on the expectations but at a different angle , I don't expect England to win a tournament - even if we really do have the best players and manager - why? because it's tournament football, anything can happen. Only takes one poor performance and you get knocked out, unlucky hitting woodwork, a red card, bad officiating, few players off there game - so many factors ... as Man City have found out in the Champions League right? winning it once out of 9/10 attempts? when you have one of the best manager and players in the world does that make Pep a bad manager in Europe? i think not, there's loads of other factors and lets not forget rival clubs/countries who are also very good. why do we have a divine right?

As repeated often, so many have different view on which players should be starting and what tactics and subs should be made - how can any manager please ? I'm thinking Saka should be starting left back v Switzerland - other fans would strongly disagree - so if Saka doesn't start should i go mad at Southgate? join in the fun and just vent and moan that he hasn't started the same team that i demand.

Yes, I'm content and happy when England win whether we play great or shit, preferably great but often sides that win tournaments scrape through matches and it's never always pretty.

Your only basis of success is you HAVE to win a tournament, that's it. everything else is failure. that's never sat right with me, there can only be one winner, there's hundreds of teams in Europe, it's unfair to label a manager and the players failures if they don't lift a trophy, its a very tough ask. statistically and overall Southgate will go down as one of England's best ever managers - you may hate that fact but unfortunately it's the truth.

we are in the final 8 once again, other good sides won't make it this far , try just try to be a little positive.
Yes the reality is success is judged on sides winning things. I'm not a fan of giving medals to everyone for taking part like schools do these days. No one even remembers second.

With regards to Pep only winning the CL once after several attaempts with City , that is precisely why you need the best man for the job to make it easier and even then it won't be !

Having a failure as England Manager and Yes Southgate is a failure as he has won nothing and has only shown very limited potential makes it a dam sight harder.

Ask yourself this simple question and answer honestly. Do you think with Pep or Klopp or Ancellotti managing this England team we would have a better chance of progressing. If the answer is yes then you are implicitly acknowledging the limitations of Southgate.

Ask yourself this simple question and answer honestly. Do you think with Pep or Klopp or Ancellotti managing this England team we would have a better chance of progressing. If the answer is yes then you are implicitly acknowledging the limitations of Southgate.

England have had managers in the past that have won everything domestically - how did that fair for us ? Sven, Capello - all had very impressive CVs, why didn't we win the tournament if its all about that?

Southgate doesn't have an impressive domestic CV and it turns out he has been one of England's greatest ever managers statistically and taking us all way to semi/final in recent tournaments.

His tactics may not please many, but they have been a big part of us progressing consistently in major tournaments - there's only so many times you can label him 'lucky'

England have had managers in the past that have won everything domestically - how did that fair for us ? Sven, Capello - all had very impressive CVs, why didn't we win the tournament if its all about that?

Southgate doesn't have an impressive domestic CV and it turns out he has been one of England's greatest ever managers statistically and taking us all way to semi/final in recent tournaments.

His tactics may not please many, but they have been a big part of us progressing consistently in major tournaments - there's only so many times you can label him 'lucky'
He’s not my cup of tea, but it’s hard to have a go at his record, and at some point you have to look at the players.

But that statistic doesn’t really account for the draws and squads he’s had does it? He’s lucky to have been given the job in the first place based on his credentials as a coach or manager let alone to still be in it!! He’s making players who are outstanding talents look championship level. There’s no sense in any game that he’s prepared based on what he’s isolated as the opposition strength or weaknesses. He hasn’t got a clue. If he did we’d have a fit left back in the fucking squad.

Rooney would be an upgrade, that's how bad Southgate is.

Granny shagger said before a call was kicked in the tournament "I'd have Trent nowhere near my midfield". So at least he has slightly more sense than Southgate.

Wouldn't have him anywhere near the England job, just pointing out how clueless even Southgate is in comparison to a shite manager like Rooney.
giphy (1).gif

It's not Bellingham v Foden; it's me v the RDAHMeedya. The media have had a long and incessant diatribe against anything that is City and anyone who plays for City. Listen to the commentators when a City player misplaces a pass or balloons the ball over the bar. Foden has pretty much been judged on every breath he takes, whereas we have to make an allowance for the Hollywood ego!
I agree with this part tbf. Football twitter, Facebook, social media is all the same replies: fans of other teams criticising players they don't like due to who they play for. Or being fan boys. Absolutely impossible to gauge any kind of real opinion.

One can only hope that Southgate saw what the injection of some attacking players did for the team on Sunday.

Saka & Fiden as wingers hasn’t worked, which is why we brought Gordon and Palmer and Bowen.

Mainoo was OK, but it’s clear Wharton was put in the squad in case Rice was injured, but could be in the team to free up Rice a bit, even though I’d just have Stones step up, as necessary.

For me, we are crying out for a 4-4-1-1 formation that can morph into at 3-1-3-3 on the attack, but Southgate just doesn’t seem to feel like he has the personnel for it! I disagree…

……………………….Pickford
Walker…..Stones…..Konsa……Shaw
Palmer……Rice…Bellingham..Gordon
………………Foden
…………………….……Kane

……………………….Pickford
Walker………..Konsa…………Shaw
…………………..Stones
……..…Foden..Rice…Bellingham
Palmer…….……Kane………..Gordon

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.