England v Switzerland - Sat 6th July, 17:00 | Euro 2024 Quarter-Final

Match Result Prediction?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
As predicted, all of a sudden Switzerland are not a good side.

Yet pre match it was full of people saying how tough this will be and how we’d be beaten.

Are Holland a good side ? Or do we just wait to see if we beat them or not before deciding

They're not a good side. They're OK, organised. They won't be threatening to win any tournaments anytime soon.

As for Holland, I'd consider it to be pretty much the best win Southgate has had in a major tournament if we do it in 90 minutes. I don't think they're a superb team, but they're a bit better than all the bang average than the teams Southgate has beaten in tournaments and that includes a piss poor Germany.

This is the same Swiss side that stuffed Italy and drew with Germany with many predicting us to lose.

Yet when we win its ‘we should be comfortably beating these sides’

- I would much rather we played Man City style football and win comfortably against ‘lesser’ teams - but I’m realistic to know it’s NEVER been like that for England and international football is a different beast.

Ive watched plenty of other matches this tournament and entertainment wise it’s not much different to England. France, Germany, Italy etc all been under par and involved in boring games.

I don’t get hung up about tactics, formations, hating individual players etc - it’s tedious and depressing- every fans has a different idea. I’m in the support camp and enjoy the ride regardless if we’re playing well or hanging on for dear life.

We’re lucky under Southgate to keep reaching these late stages of competitions- didn’t happen to often before he come in.

I can get the frustration for many that they continually scream and moan that Southgate is the worst manager ever, his tactics are the worst, he plays players out of position.
Pickford is shit, the defence is shit, rice is a plodder, Mainoo is shit, Saka is shit, Bellingham is the anti christ, Kane is shit … and yet we can’t stop winning and progressing. Must be hard to comprehend. So have to use the ‘we got lucky this time but not next time’ card.
As you know I’m not a Southgate fan as a manager, but I think the performances of England AND the rest of the teams performances are not solely down to tactics or abilities. Almost all the top teams are producing bore fests and I recon that’s down to the amount of football played. Greedy FIFA and UEFA are killing the quality by introducing more and more games. Therefore players are knackered and teams are sussing ways of nullifying attacking tactics. City are lucky we have an utter genius to unlock these tactics mostly, but even our games are boring as hell sometimes. England’s shape and press were superb last night but it took 90 mins to have a shot on target. They had two I think. That’s not football! And that’s not totally down to Southgate either. Plenty of other games in this tournament have been the same. Spain seem to be the only ones with any energy. They all must have asthma ;)

The record books will say Southgate got to two semi finals and a final minimum.

WC 2018 (ranking at the time)
Tunisia (14th)
Panama (55th)
Belgium (3rd)
Colombia (16th)
Sweden (23rd)
Croatia (18th)

EURO 2020
Scotland (44th)
Czech Rep (40th)
Croatia (14th)
Germany (12th)
Ukraine (24th)
Denmark (10th)
Italy (7th)

EURO 2024
Serbia (32nd)
Denmark (21st)
Slovenia (57th)
Slovakia (45th)
Switzerland (19th)

Denmark semi final in 2020 is the only time we’ve beaten anyone in the top ten.

The equivalent of this euros run in comparison to last season’s final standings would be City or Arsenal (depending on individual quality alone you think England are the best or second best team in the competition)

Cardiff City
Leicester City
Exeter City
Portsmouth
Burnley

Never known a manager to get an easy run so much and struggle to get through with the talent he has available.
Does make you wonder if it’s rigged to get England a trophy given that the premier league is the biggest competition/league in europe/the world and probably most watched in football.

you must be hating every single minute and preying we don't win. weird obsessive negativity.

England are in ANOTHER semi final. great achievement again - Germany, Portugal, Belgium, Italy - and some other very good sides with star players are packed up and out the cup - England are still in and just don't know when to be beaten. Bring on the Dutch!
Not really pal. What's weird and obsessive is you branding people you don't know as just that because they're not joining in with your happy clapping nonsense.

It's a Semi-Final. It's not a great achievement. Nations such as Russia, Denmark, Czech Republic, Turkey, Greece and Wales have made the Semi-Final in recent European championships.

Gareth Southgate has been extremely fortunate with the teams he's faced in the 4 major tournaments he's been the manager. Don't you agree?

We had a packed out Wembley stadium and we failed under his management against a fairly average Italy who since then have failed to qualify for 2 World Cups and got knocked out at the round of 16 stage at this tournament.

Great, even more weeks of Jingoism. Just fuck off Waistcoat and your fucking take on of Portugal 2016.

One win and 4 draws and in the semis. I hate teams who dog their way to deep runs. They are even worse than Argentina at Italia 90.
What on earth does jingoism mean? In my 50 years on this planet I’ve never heard that term.

Why is Kane in the starting 11 ?
Why is Kane captain ?
Why doesnt bellend pass to Phil ?

Something is really off with the team and it's a credit to Phil that he doesn't call it out. Foden takes up some great positions only to be ignored most of the time. Bellend does it more than others because he doesn't want Phil to out shine him.
There really is no point playing out from the back as the midfield don't make themselves available. The amount of times Stones is waving at the middle to come deeper and receive the ball is embarrassing.
I have no idea what tactics England are playing. Pickford plays hoofball the City lads play keep ball pass and move. Rice plays pass it sideways or backwards. Kane and bellend just walk or stand still. Kane is a piss poor captain shows no leadership skills what so ever. The lack of movement up front means any attacking players have no one to pass forward to ! Kane doesn't make any runs or is back in midfield walking around lol

Southgate is popular with the squard ( I think only some of the squad ) because he is scared of the egos and let's them do as they please.

I do find strange how so many England fans celebrate these piss poor performance.

I found it odd how the pundits all saying what an improvement there was. I didn't see it.

OK celebrate an England win and another semi final but not try and tell me England are good.

I have zero feels for England in fact the more smoke that gets blown up bellend arse the more I want England to get hammered. Sadly it will be the City lads that get the blame.

Anyway to all you English fans enjoy watching, personally I can't wait for the pl to start and to watch top level football again. I find watching pub sorry I mean international football shit
There was a few times when Stones had the ball when he looked up there was absolutely no one to pass forward to. At one point he was shouting at Rice to come and receive the ball.

That wouldn't happen at City as you have Rodri, KDB or even Bernardo looking for the ball. Now for me that's either the English players are not comfortable with the ball under pressure or the are under instructions to play it safe.

Foden is another example. Loads of time he was getting into pockets of space demanding the ball but either the player didn't see him or refused( I'm looking at you Bellingham) to pass to him.

Kane is the big issue though dropping deep. He's there to score goals which he's pretty fucking good at but how is supposed to score from 40 yards away? Apparently he had 2 yes 2 touches in the Swiss box. Haaland gets dogs abuse for not touching the ball enough but his job is to be a menace to defenders and score goals and that should be Kanes role too.

The City boys are on a completely different wavelength to other English players due to the way Pep plays and it must be really frustrating for them when they are under clear instructions to play it safe.

Pep talks a lot about being brave on the ball. Take risks, believe in your ability but Southgate's ultra cautious approach is the complete opposite of that.

England really do have some great players and for me that's the most frustrating thing. Let the players be brave, let them play like they do for their club. If Southgate lets them you're looking at a truly exceptional team.

Southgate is not the man to manage this team

As predicted, all of a sudden Switzerland are not a good side.

Yet pre match it was full of people saying how tough this will be and how we’d be beaten.

Are Holland a good side ? Or do we just wait to see if we beat them or not before deciding
Everyone England play is a good side - if you set up and play them the way we do. If a decent manager had the same personnel, they probably wouldn't be.
Hope that clears it up for you.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.