England vs Iceland - Euro 2016: Last 16 - 27/06/16

Pick players from the championship after all wales and the two lrish teams do and thats the level england are at. Anyone who england is at a higher level needs their marbles testing ! I think all the home nation teams are on the same level just that no one has told england.

The main difference betwern the home nations is they are all well drilled in how to play they know there system inside out ......all apart from england who havent a clue what system they are playing. Pick a system than pick the players that can play that system not the other way round. Now with england is it down to poor management or the fact the fa want certain players to play , therefore you try and fit them into a system that doesnt suit them

Say what you like. It's quite a thought, isn't it, that England have never — never — been European champions, nor even so much as been finalists. This in a nation that adores the game, that considers that it invented it, in its modern form, and has god knows how many tens of thousands of kids (hundreds of thousands, I suppose) playing it in parks up and down the country every single evening.

Thank god the media's "Roy of the Rovers" golden boy (Rashford) didn't produce the goods. Why Hodgson sent him on is beyond my comprehension. England needed some creativity not yet another strikes. We ended with Kane, Vardy, Sturridge and Rashford - who was supposed to produce the killer pass to open up the defence - certainly not Wooney as he is well past it and should have been warming a bench somewhere other than France.

Seems a bit rash (pun not intended), given that he produced some actual dribbles and rushes forward in only 5 minutes.
It's clear Roy had no ideas, no backup plan, brought no structure into the team and lacked decent tactical basics.

So as usual England flatter to deceive in the qualifiers, play some friendlies where the media build them up to be worldbeaters and return home too early.

As a Belgian I have to say this sounds awfully familiar, though at least, if we get beaten by Wales, we'll be able to say we played some of the best football of the tournament.

A talented generation that has been poorly managed unfortunately. Hodgson is and always has been a clueless manager. Yes we qualified with an excellent record but the group was woeful and they only needed to perform in the two games against the Swiss. He wants credit for bringing through younger players, I'd turn that on its head and ask which older players actually could have been picked...

Tactically he's tried to be positive because of criticism over being a negative coach. The trouble is he's foregone any tactics at all in order to shed that tag. He only took one natural wide player in Sterling and he was short of confidence. Taking him off last night was a stupid decision. He was the only one offering any movement or pace on and off the ball. Rashford showed how easy it was to get at Iceland and all he did was move.

Rooney migrated further up field. Alli naturally took up a place further forward. Vardy, Kane, Sturridge were all further forward. They all want to play centrally and naturally migrate to central positions. That left Wilshere on the ball, in the centre circle with 5 static men to pass to, all in similar positions. Whilst the only out ball was one of the full backs who, when receiving the ball, had no one ahead of them.

The Wales win was our undoing oddly. By throwing Vardy and Sturridge on and winning the game Hodgson thought that was the solution to all our troubles. Keep throwing attackers on the pitch. We lacked width yet played a formation that required it.

I'm glad he's gone but I look at the names set to replace him and I don't see a likely upturn.

I think one reason we are poor is the standard of coaching at lower levels. Given the stats below is it surprising?

Iceland population 330000 UEFA A and Pro licenced coaches 209
England population 55000000 UEFA A and Pro licenced coaches 1395

Say what you like. It's quite a thought, isn't it, that England have never — never — been European champions, nor even so much as been finalists. This in a nation that adores the game, that considers that it invented it, in its modern form, and has god knows how many tens of thousands of kids (hundreds of thousands, I suppose) playing it in parks up and down the country every single evening.
This quote from the Guardian was perhaps the most startling of all:

"Iceland has one Uefa B licence coach for every 825th member of the population. In England that number rises to one per 11,000. At times you wonder if the English really are interested in being good at this."

Hodgson and his players have undoubtedly been dreadful in this tournament. But with this sorry excuse of a Football Association in charge, it's little wonder why.

The unintended consequence of the ridiculous homegrown rules is that we now have a generation of extremely mediocre English players earning an absolute fortune in the Premier League. This inflates their egos to stratospheric levels, ably assisted by a fawning, sycophantic media who laud anything an Englishman does way ahead of the numerous foreign players who enabled him to do it.

There is not a single one of those England players that I would want City to buy, and that includes Hart and Sterling if they didn't already play for us! Yet apart from Rashford, I imagine every single one of them pockets at least something in the region of 100k a week.

Somehow, a manager has then got to wade through this overwhelming sense of entitlement and get these walking-talking egos to adhere to a strict system. Because, let's face it, that is what international football is all about. It's not about 6 players all trying to be the hero at once, it's about building a coherent system with players who are willing to take everything on board and work selflessly to make it happen.

Of course, it doesn't help when the manager is as piss poor as Roy Hodgson, but I think anyone would struggle with this lot because they're all in it for themselves and seem to think they know better. I really don't know where the England national team goes from here, because until the players themselves accept that they are nowhere near as good as they think they are, we are going to struggle to become a team that is stronger than the sum of its parts.
Absolutely spot on.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.