England wasting one of the most talented squads ever assembled on Southgate

The thing with Maguire really pisses me off. He is the weak link in that team yet was lavished with praise at the World Cup because he didn't perform quite as badly as some expected. There are at least 4 English central defenders who are better than him even before you take into account he no longer plays at club level. It's scandalous that he's still in the squad never mind the team.

when he plays for England he plays well. Southgate sees no reason to change that.

Wasn’t excited when Southgate got the job but came around a little when he eventually started to drop some of the old guard and incorporate some of the young ones. However, what would not change, even when I heard that Pep had given him pointers, was my thinking that he would never have the tactical naus and would not carry through a game plan like Pep would, instead choosing to sit when we’d have most of the game.

We like to celebrate our achievements, I certainly do, but I do have regret that we should have gone on to win the important games that we ended up losing.

7 out of 10 for me. Done very well but could have done more with the players that have been at his disposal.

Is it our most talented squad?

Not for me. I’d say we have a few top class players (Kane, Stones, Walker) and outstanding talents (Foden, Bellingham, Saka). But beyond that the squad is nothing special. Some obvious weaknesses (keeper, centre half), lack of depth elsewhere (striker).
I reckon the squads from around 2002-2006 had more talent and depth.
Not particularly a defence of Southgate, just my two penn’orth.

Let's face it, any centre back wanting an international career, needs to be looking for alternatives to england, as even if slabhead does not play a single minute for the rags all season, waistcoat is still going to have him first on the teamsheet in next years euros.
These friendlies are the opportunity waistcoat should be using to integrate players into the squad, not play the same old again.
The excuse will be seasoned players guiding the youngsters. Erm - ok waistcoat, Iceland?

Not for me. I’d say we have a few top class players (Kane, Stones, Walker) and outstanding talents (Foden, Bellingham, Saka). But beyond that the squad is nothing special. Some obvious weaknesses (keeper, centre half), lack of depth elsewhere (striker).
I reckon the squads from around 2002-2006 had more talent and depth.
Not particularly a defence of Southgate, just my two penn’orth.
I think you made a good point regarding a lack of depth in the striking department.

The likes of Germany,Italy Spain and even France are/were weaker than they were previously even the South American sides are in transition.

Hence a lot of the frustration.

We've had the opportunity to kick on,and failed so far, negative team selection and tactics have more than played a part in this imo.
A high proportion of the blame lies with the person in charge.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.