England wasting one of the most talented squads ever assembled on Southgate

This means nothing. We currently have different players in an era where football is played differently against different teams than any other manager past.

You can’t compare Sven’s WC 2002 to anything Southgate has faced, for example. We went out against the best international team of all-time in that Brazil team. Southgate has never faced a team anywhere near that quality.

It’s paid off.

Moulded a great squad of young players, spirit , unity all throughout.

Took us to World Cup semi final, first time in 28 years.

Amazing run to the final in the Euros only to lose on penalties.

One of the highest win % of any England managers of all time

Arise Sir Southgate!

View attachment 92129
It’s why England will always be shite.
Supporters like yourselves who have been so starved of success getting giddy over somebody who takes the team far in a competition but shits their pants when it matters.
You deserve him.

The only thing I can think of is that they’re good leaders in the squad. But like you say, it’s not like we’re going into a tournament here, it’s the qualifiers where we should be picking those in form and up and coming and let the next bunch emerge as leaders heading into those Euros.

I don’t really understand your complaint.

You want young up and coming in form players selected? Well we’ve got Dunk, Colwill and Tomori all selected at CB, all hoping to partner Stones at the next tournament.

You want young up and coming and inform? The midfield will be Rice, Bellingham and Maddison or Foden. All excellent young and in form players.

Eze, Nketiah, Gallagher…

11 of the squad have 10 caps or fewer.

13 of the squad is 25 or younger.

So for you to argue that Southgate isn’t picking young and in form players is just bollocks isn’t it, it’s got no basis in fact.

Adding more untested young players isn’t helping anyone, it just means you don’t get a proper look at the 10 you’ve selected already.

I think if you’re honest with yourself what you’re upset about is that 2 players you just don’t like who aren’t in form got picked out of squad of 26.

And by the way, given Phillips and Maguire are both, in form, good assets for England to have, it makes sense that the England manager try and do what he can to get them back in form, including select them for England when you can - and in light of about half a dozen clear cut selections like Stones, Shaw, James, Pope who’d bring experience all getting ruled out through injury and no one he’s overlooked really staking a claim to be in the squad - he can do that.

It’s only because a certain section of England fans delight in complaining non stop about anything and everything that happens around the national team that this is even a topic of conversation. Any neutral would look at the squad and say he’s picked a young and exciting squad of in form players and a couple of veterans to make up for injured players and that’s it.

Last edited:
I don’t really understand your complaint.

You want young up and coming in form players selected? Well we’ve got Dunk, Colwill and Tomori all selected at CB, all hoping to partner Stones at the next tournament.

You want young up and coming and inform? The midfield will be Rice, Bellingham and Maddison or Foden. All excellent young and in form players.

Eze, Nketiah, Gallagher…

11 of the squad have 10 caps or fewer.

13 of the squad is 25 or younger.

So for you to argue that Southgate isn’t picking young and in form players is just bollocks isn’t it, it’s got no basis in fact.

Adding more untested young players isn’t helping anyone, it just means you don’t get a proper look at the 10 you’ve selected already.

I think if you’re honest with yourself what you’re upset about is that 2 players you just don’t like who aren’t in form got picked out of squad of 26.

And by the way, given Phillips and Maguire are both, in form, good assets for England to have, it makes sense that the England manager try and do what he can to get them back in form, including select them for England when you can - and in light of about half a dozen clear cut selections like Stones, Shaw, James, Pope who’d bring experience all getting ruled out through injury and no one he’s overlooked really staking a claim to be in the squad - he can do that.

It’s only because a certain section of England fans delight in complaining non stop about anything and everything that happens around the national team that this is even a topic of conversation. Any neutral would look at the squad and say he’s picked a young and exciting squad of in form players and a couple of veterans to make up for injured players and that’s it.

It would make sense for the England manager to have called them and told them they're out unless they play more regularly. Maybe both would have moved on this summer to find more regular football and then been picked on merit. Great for the England manager, great for the squad. Certainly better than playing them in a couple of games every 3 months and pretending that would give them any form.

He's picked them because he wants to beat the Ukraine. That's us essentially qualified then. Understandable, if a slightly weak mentality.

Long term it just means we'll be using the inexperienced players in dead rubbers or friendlies which isn't exactly where you want to test them.

It is what it is. I believe he's done okay overall. Excellent in terms of building that unity which was lacking since 1996. Tactically he's improved in my opinion, but most on here compare him to Pep which isn't fair. There aren't many international managers anywhere near that level.

I also don't believe this is the best squad England have ever had. Go back to the 2000s and you've got players widely regarded as the best in their position or at least in the conversation. I'd say Stones, Walker and Kane are certainly worthy of that tag. You could make an argument for Saka and then there are players like Bellingham and Rice who have potential to be in that conversation, Bellingham with his CL experience is way ahead of Rice currently.

Foden, if played in the middle will instantly transform this England side. So far he's been used out wide but he's not as effective with the midfield partners he has compared to with us. In the middle he could take this England side up a level.

That’s the thing, that hammer fella probably prefers Southgate.
Hammers have always felt Ramsey’s input somewhat over-emphasised…

(Trigger Warning: third link is to Talksport. Contains viewpoints readers some readers may find offensive)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.