England wasting one of the most talented squads ever assembled on Southgate

when he plays for England he plays well. Southgate sees no reason to change that.
No he doesn't! He just doesn't play as badly as he does at club level. Was at fault for Giroud's winner at the WC, let him get in front of him. England will not win anything with him at the back.

Last edited:
All this criticism and yet he is easily, by far, the most successful England manager of my lifetime.

Every generation gets hammed up as "one of the most talented squads ever assembled".

Careful what you wish for.

All this criticism and yet he is easily, by far, the most successful England manager of my lifetime.

Every generation gets hammed up as "one of the most talented squads ever assembled".

We wouldve won the euros if he didnt absolutely shit his nick-nocks when we went 1-0 up early doors.
He didnt know what to do for the rest of the game and the team resorted to hoofing it up and constantly losing possession and allowing a decidedly average italy back in the game.
Yeah pens are a lottery but any half decent coach wouldve pushed on when 1-0 up, not defended and panicked for the rest of the game

We wouldve won the euros if he didnt absolutely shit his nick-nocks when we went 1-0 up early doors.
He didnt know what to do for the rest of the game and the team resorted to hoofing it up and constantly losing possession and allowing a decidedly average italy back in the game.
Yeah pens are a lottery but any half decent coach wouldve pushed on when 1-0 up, not defended and panicked for the rest of the game

Sure, but would all of those "half decent" managers have been in the final in the first place?

Every England tournament prior to Southgate I can remember garbage performances, riddled with internal politics, centred on massive egos.

Everybody writes off his success in creating a good atmosphere that the players want to be in, instead of the usual horrible meat grinder where they're all stressed that they're gonna be the next national whipping boy. And yet, again, it's produced better results than Capello, Eriksson, Mclaren, who were all "half decent managers".

The rubbish I’ve watched with England and the safety first, picking the same old press-driven choices from certain favourite clubs has driven any enthusiasm from me for international football. Tend to just watch the odd tournament match these days as qualifiers are so one sided and predictable. Waistcoat has done nothing to revive it.

Is it our most talented squad? We are better with the ball but less adventurous than we should be.

When we had Rio, Terry, Cole, Lampard, Scholes, Gerard, Rooney, Owen I think that was a lot more talented and a wasted opportunity personally
That was a better starting XI, and there have been other better starting XIs than now. But after the first 14 or so players in teams past, the consistency of quality fell off a cliff.

There also aren’t the quality of other squads around now as there were during that England team’s time. They played against fantastic Brazil, Argentina, Portugal, France, Germany and Spain teams back then.

Even with that starting XI from the 00s, England were only really the 6th (at best) best team around… the squad we have now is only bettered by France and Argentina.

Last edited by a moderator:

He hasn’t been successful at all. England have only ever had one successful coach.

England don’t always get hammed up as ‘one of the most talented squads ever assembled’; the squad Hodgson had was the worst England squad ever.

There was talk at one time of England’s midfield being Lee Cattermole and Jack Rodwell.

Not for me. I’d say we have a few top class players (Kane, Stones, Walker) and outstanding talents (Foden, Bellingham, Saka). But beyond that the squad is nothing special. Some obvious weaknesses (keeper, centre half), lack of depth elsewhere (striker).
I reckon the squads from around 2002-2006 had more talent and depth.
Not particularly a defence of Southgate, just my two penn’orth.
Rice? Reece James?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.