England World Cup Squad.

Welbeck has a really good international record at least.

I'd like to have seen shelvey in over one of the 6 full backs (or even more hoped for Lallana to be fully fit) but overall it's a much better chosen squad than usual.

Glad Pope made it in, I think he's by some distance the best English keeper.

I think he could be useful if he is given the right instructions and works on his holdup play, he's physically much stronger than Vardy or Kane and at least there's 3 different kinds of strikers there which gives us some flexibility for different opponents but he's 3rd choice if we need something different basically.

Vardy is the pacey run in behind type against a high line, Kane is our best CF option on his day(not sure how best to describe his style, perhaps a fox in the box?).

Rashford and Sterling always start for me, I'm kind of glad Chamberlain isn't going because although I'd take him over Henderson in a heartbeat for midfield, he'd be played out of position on the RW taking Sterling's place, based on how he was used in the qualifiers.

Not sure I agree with Cahill or Henderson going, I'd have taken Tarkowski over Cahill and since Dier is a slightly better DM than Henderson(that's not saying much, should be ok with Delph next to him hopefully) we could have taken Foden or even Lallana would be more useful if fit.

Not sure about on my first choice keeper to be honest, if Pickford has the distribution some claim he has(I've yet to see it in an England shirt) then he gets the nod.

My_England_11.gif
I'd use this, he'll go with a back 3, Walker or Delph should be in there for pace.

england-xi-00e10c165ccaf023dae0200035009901.jpg

Pope is the better of the 3.....I’d go with him...but he will be 3rd choice
How is his distribution though? Burnley are also a very defensive team who don't score many goals. Suppose it depends on the opposition and how we set up.

Fair play for saying that, but not a fucking hope in my opinion.
Look at all of the talent from u17-u20 in the summer.

Hudson-Odoi, Foden, Sancho, Lookman, Solanke, Mceachran, Da Silva, Gomes, Mount.
People are saying that the midfield now is terrible and it is hard to argue. In 4 years we could have a midfield of Mceachran, Mount and Foden. 3 players all comfortable on the ball with technical skill.

I'd use this, he'll go with a back 3, Walker or Delph should be in there for pace.

england-xi-00e10c165ccaf023dae0200035009901.jpg
That midfield would be very depressing for me where would the creativity come from?

For that formation Ali over Loftus-Cheek, and Delph over Rose... Also Stones Central, Maguire lcb.

That midfield would be very depressing for me where would the creativity come from?

For that formation Ali over Loftus-Cheek, and Delph over Rose... Also Stones Central, Maguire lcb.
Yeah meant to have Stones central, just hit the wrong one and was too lazy to change it ;)

Loftus-Cheek is probably the most creative of the midfielders, Alli is just a runner.

Loftus-Cheek is probably the most creative of the midfielders, Alli is just a runner.
As much of a twat Ali is, he's far from just a runner, he's our best most creative midfielder on his day. His dribbling and eye for a pass can't be ignored, he puts players on their arses at times.

He's also the only player outside of the City squad in the top 5 for PL assists this year(5th place on 10 assists - joint with Eriksen, Mahrez, Pogbad and Salah who would all walk into this team).

Last edited:
Was trying to put together some formations for fun and the problem is always the midfield, its really poor. Need one of Lallana, Wilshire or even Shelvey in their imo.

Personally think Pickford is a liability and his distribution is overated but Everton have been pretty shit to maybe unfair on him.

Also assume Southgate will be going 3 at the back based on the mountain of fullbacks he has selected - Walker likely RCB.

Maybe something like this;

------------------------------Pope

-----------Walker----------Stones-------------Jones

Trippier---------Henderson--------Dier---------------Rose

------------------------------Alli

-------------------Sterling-----------Kane

Ideally would like to replace Dier or Henderson with someone who can pass forward (RLC?). Sterling and Alli to play around about Kane like they play at their clubs.

Other option could be push Alli and Sterling back a row and Vardy plays besides Kane.
There lies the problem, Jones, Tripper and Dier are simply not International footballers even in an average England team.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.