Erling Haaland

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem Barcelona have is so public. I won't repeat their wage bill issues other than to say that they simply cannot add Haaland without a significant knock on effect to both their incoming and outgoing player situation.

What they do have is a sales pitch: We're Barcelona, and we have a massive hole in the number 9 position. We're rebuilding the squad and have some of the best young players in Europe as part of the new project. We want Erling to be the face of it.

Under normal circumstances that would be a compelling pitch and I'd look at Barcelona as a serious contender. But as I say at the top, they can talk, but they can't physically do the deal. Dortmund will want a massive amount in one go. Where will Laporta find the liquidity to pay that sort of sum? Even if they were to miraculously get some kind of favourable loan terms, that loan would have to be used across all their business. He isn't about to spunk it on one deal because that is EXACTLY what Bartomeu did for years to create the mess they're in.

If I had to hazard a guess as to what's gone on/is going on it's this. Madrid aren't in for him. Raiola has no relationship with Perez or Zidane. He's been desperate to move Pogba there for years, and Perez just isn't interested. Some people say it's because Raiola also said this about Madrid when Ancelotti distanced himself from a move for Pogba:

'Madrid buy players the way some people buy bath towels and then throw aside. We are not interested in a club like that.'

Since then whilst Raiola has tried to dial that attitude back a little bit, he's gotten nowhere near getting Pogba the move he craves. Now he wants the world to believe that Madrid are at the table for Haaland. For my money it's unlikely that Perez will do that to Benzema. He loves that kid and he's repaid that faith in performances and goals. Yes he's old but a bit like Aguero needs to go for Haaland to come, Benzema would need to go for Haaland to arrive. And he isn't leaving this summer and is still banging goals in for them.

From Mino's point view he needs one of the two Spanish giants to look like credible rivals. Without that he basically has to convince City that Haaland would move to Chelsea for the right money, and I don't think City would buy that.
Ah so basically he acts like barca are proper rivals to signing haaland, then comes back to city and asks for a bigger wage?

Disclaimer: I'm not ITK, I don't have any insider info. I also don't take any pleasure in being contrarian. The likes of Ahsan and TH are on the nub of this transfer every single day and know a thousand things about transfers that I don't do.

Alright now that we have put the disclaimer aside, here's my personal opinion. I think if people that believe finances are going to prevent Barca or Madrid from signing a player, then they are being naive. In the history of the game, finances have never mattered to these two clubs. Make no mistake, they do have a vague idea of what they should or should not spend. But if they decide they want to splash big money, it will happen.

It doesn't matter how. Maybe Laporta spreads his arsecheeks with a little picture of Haaland on the lucky spot, sells the image for 400 billion, or the Spanish goverment decide to sell the country to Raiola to fund the transfer, or maybe UEFA creates FFP v2.0 with a 400 mil gift to Barca because of Section 12.5.6 titled "we can do whatever the fuck we want". Point being if they really, really want to do a transfer, they will find the money. The fact that most times this doesn't happen is because the player is not worth the desperate move. If Barca now decide that Haaland is a once in 20 years player and he's worth the hassle, then please don't live under the illusion that pesky little finances is gonna stop the move.

Again, I don't mean to sound the alarm bells. Most likely, Alfie is just taking a look of the land. Who knows, might help in better negotiations with City. But please, please don't place your hopes on Haaland joining City because Madrid/Barca can't afford him. If Haaland joins City, it will be because he sees us as the best possible destination for reasons that only he and Alfie would know.

Last edited:
The problem Barcelona have is so public. I won't repeat their wage bill issues other than to say that they simply cannot add Haaland without a significant knock on effect to both their incoming and outgoing player situation.

What they do have is a sales pitch: We're Barcelona, and we have a massive hole in the number 9 position. We're rebuilding the squad and have some of the best young players in Europe as part of the new project. We want Erling to be the face of it.

Under normal circumstances that would be a compelling pitch and I'd look at Barcelona as a serious contender. But as I say at the top, they can talk, but they can't physically do the deal. Dortmund will want a massive amount in one go. Where will Laporta find the liquidity to pay that sort of sum? Even if they were to miraculously get some kind of favourable loan terms, that loan would have to be used across all their business. He isn't about to spunk it on one deal because that is EXACTLY what Bartomeu did for years to create the mess they're in.

If I had to hazard a guess as to what's gone on/is going on it's this. Madrid aren't in for him. Raiola has no relationship with Perez or Zidane. He's been desperate to move Pogba there for years, and Perez just isn't interested. Some people say it's because Raiola also said this about Madrid when Ancelotti distanced himself from a move for Pogba:

'Madrid buy players the way some people buy bath towels and then throw aside. We are not interested in a club like that.'

Since then whilst Raiola has tried to dial that attitude back a little bit, he's gotten nowhere near getting Pogba the move he craves. Now he wants the world to believe that Madrid are at the table for Haaland. For my money it's unlikely that Perez will do that to Benzema. He loves that kid and he's repaid that faith in performances and goals. Yes he's old but a bit like Aguero needs to go for Haaland to come, Benzema would need to go for Haaland to arrive. And he isn't leaving this summer and is still banging goals in for them.

From Mino's point view he needs one of the two Spanish giants to look like credible rivals. Without that he basically has to convince City that Haaland would move to Chelsea for the right money, and I don't think City would buy that.

I don't disagree with any of that. I've said similar on Benzema, and somewhat similar on Barcelona and Madrid at times.

I also presume your points are for everyone's benefit rather than just to me, and so they should be.

All I said was, I wouldn't rule out Barcelona. Or Madrid for that matter. Even With their money issues. That is me.

For clarity and for the record, there was honestly absolutely nothing facetious about my response to you. In case you thought it was sarcasm or such.

Agree on the points and logic, just not to the extent of ruling it out, not that it is mine to rule out.

Partly it's a sales tactic called FOMO - Fear Of Missing Out. If you make a potential buyer think that you're going to sell to someone else, they will often panic and offer more.

Now everyone who's spoken to them is thinking "oh shit Barcelona are talking to him what can we do?"

It's also a cheeky sort of reverse of one called MESO, Multiple Equivalent Simultaneous Offers, which you would use to figure out a buyer's priorities. If he wanted then Raiola can go to City now and create the impression that lifestyle is a priority for Haaland "Barcelona offers the opportunity to live in the sun, go to the beach every day, learn a new language etc. Manchester doesn't offer this so if you want him you will have to offer more than Barcelona to compensate for these missed experiences."

Of course the truth could be the opposite.

The idea is you grind everyone down until you get their absolute best final offers on the table.

He may already knew exactly where he wants to go but Raiola will be trying to extract concessions. If City have any sense about them, which I'm sure they do, they will have started with room to move up. Early days.

fuck the beach new islington marina (ancoats) canal is the in place

Disclaimer: I'm not ITK, I don't have any insider info. I also don't take any pleasure in being contrarian. The likes of Ahsan and TH are on the nub of this transfer every single day and know a thousand things about transfers that I don't do.

Alright now that we have put the disclaimer aside, here's my personal opinion. I think the people that believe finances are going to prevent Barca or Madrid from signing a player, then they are being naive. In the history of the game, finances have never mattered to these two clubs. Make no mistake, they do have a vague idea of what they should or should not spend. But if they decide they want to splash big money, it will happen.

It doesn't matter how. Maybe Laporta spreads his arsecheeks with a little picture of Haaland on the lucky spot, sells the image for 400 billion, or the Spanish goverment decide to sell the country to Raiola to fund the transfer, or maybe UEFA creates FFP v2.0 with a 400 mil gift to Barca because of Section 12.5.6 titled "we can do whatever the fuck we want". Point being if they really, really want to do a transfer, they will find the money. The fact that most times this doesn't happen is because the player is not worth the desperate move. If Barca now decide that Haaland is a once in 20 years player and he's worth the hassle, then please don't live under the illusion that pesky little finances is gonna stop the move.

Again, I don't mean to sound the alarm bells. Most likely, Alfie is just taking a look of the land. Who knows, might help in better negotiations with City. But please, please don't place your hopes on Haaland joining City because Madrid/Barca couldn't afford him. If Haaland joins City, it will be because he sees us as the best possible destination for reasons that only he and Alfie would know.
Great post. I’m just gonna enjoy the ride and if we don’t get him I’m intrigued to see who pep and the board target to replace aguero. Gonna be fun either way

Alright now that we have put the disclaimer aside, here's my personal opinion. I think the people that believe finances are going to prevent Barca or Madrid from signing a player, then they are being naive. In the history of the game, finances have never mattered to these two clubs. Make no mistake, they do have a vague idea of what they should or should not spend. But if they decide they want to splash big money, it will happen.

Again, I don't mean to sounds the alarm bells. Most likely, Alfie is just taking a look of the land. Who knows, might help in better negotiations with City. But please, please don't place your hopes on Haaland joining City because Madrid/Barca clubs couldn't afford him. If Haaland joins City, it will be because he sees us as the best possible destination for reasons that only he and Alfie would know.

I think expectation management is a very good thing in all walks of life ;)

And for the record I've been wrong so often about football related matters that I don't expect anyone to be running to the bookies based off my fag packet logic on these things!

I agree no way Barcelona afford him this is a political play to try keep messi.
It's amazing how it's always the Spanish who leak there transfer meetings.
Either way the club will have an idea of what's what
Apparently haaland senior has been spotted at barca airport being picked up by loportas private chauffer.numerous outlets saying same.should we panick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.