ESPN commentators

Denis Law Back Heel said:
baylorblue said:
Two quick things, Nige definitely did break Holden's leg, it was in a March friendly before the World Cup. And the commentator did not say he was going to have "stern words" with Clichy, he said he was going to have them with the City management for allowing him to play on. The reason why he said that is because his own career was cut short due to multiple concussions. You have to remember as at least one person has pointed out thus far, these guys are geared toward an American audience so they use terminology that are relevant to the American sports fan.

If that's the terminology needed for an american sports fan.....
Oh, stop it. You have plenty of stupid terminology too.

I find it funny but at the same time I want to punch something.

"..and the ball crosses the great divide!" (goes over the line)

"..Silva makes Kolarov the focal point of the next play" (he passes to him)

"..he knew he had Lescott bearing down on him and Barry coming to intercept and that the natural flow of the ball would loop over Hart. (he smashed it in the net - do they really think players carry out multiple pythagoras calculations every second?)

The best (worst) was from last year cant remember who we played but I think we got beat over which they creamed their pants despite us playing with mostly kids and thinking the MLS are world beaters..

".. he set up one play and now he's got some SUGAR of his own!!!" (a guy scored after setting one up!)

And why was full time called "End Regulation" ! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!

baylorblue said:
Two quick things, Nige definitely did break Holden's leg, it was in a March friendly before the World Cup. And the commentator did not say he was going to have "stern words" with Clichy, he said he was going to have them with the City management for allowing him to play on. The reason why he said that is because his own career was cut short due to multiple concussions. You have to remember as at least one person has pointed out thus far, these guys are geared toward an American audience so they use terminology that are relevant to the American sports fan.

Not many watch football in America, I don't understand why you all find it so unreasonable that commentators would need to mix metaphors from other sports that Americans do watch to try to make the action more understandable for the casual viewer.

what pisses me off, was i was watching game then a bloody advert came on while game was still been played

On the throw = Throw in.
Tackled away = challenge.
Kept in front = keeper makes save.
Soccer plan =. Football rules.
Top of the box = Edge of area.
Flaring wide = shot misses.
To the penalty spot we go = penalty.
one oh = one nil.
Attacking half of the field = opposition half.
See the play out = play to the whistle.
Early seat = substitution.
Situation not figured out = contract talks ongoing.
Warming = playing well.
Give and go = one two.
Flanker = winger.
Line of pressure = forward line.
Manchester united = Manchester City. :)
Hit = Shot.

Hope this helps.

"Silva is naked in the middle."

Imagine my disappointment when he was fully clothed. :x

Twellman (the commentator) does the Phiadelphia Union's games, my local team. So I listen to him every week. He's the fucking worst. Just brutal to listen to, always trying to be funny....always failing...and always sucking at communicating the game to fans.

There are a couple Americans who do a decent job (JP Dellacamera does some USNT games, and is Twellmans partner for the Union), but the best thing ESPN did for the sport is import Ian Darke.

baylorblue said:
baylorblue said:

Not many watch football in America, I don't understand why you all find it so unreasonable that commentators would need to mix metaphors from other sports that Americans do watch to try to make the action more understandable for the casual viewer.

When channel 4 used to do the NFL every sunday for the British audience the British commentators used the same terminology that the American commentators used...

just sayin like..

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.