On the throw = Throw in.
Tackled away = challenge.
Kept in front = keeper makes save.
Soccer plan =. Football rules.
Top of the box = Edge of area.
Flaring wide = shot misses.
To the penalty spot we go = penalty.
one oh = one nil.
Attacking half of the field = opposition half.
See the play out = play to the whistle.
Early seat = substitution.
Situation not figured out = contract talks ongoing.
Warming = playing well.
Give and go = one two.
Flanker = winger.
Line of pressure = forward line.
Manchester united = Manchester City. :)
Hit = Shot.

Hope this helps.
Don't forget "And Manchester City have England No1 Joe Hart in the cage!" - i.e. in goal ;)

Vienna_70 said:
1_barry_conlon said:
The commentator for the Vancouver game takes some beating.

When announcing the City team the other day he said 'Joe Hart, Englands national no.1 is in the cage'

In the f'king cage!!! When have you ever heard a goal referred to as a cage?

Give me Hugh Ferris any day of the week....:)

Isn't that the North American term for the goal in ice hockey?

It's a North American slang word for goal in ice hockey. Usually used when a player goes sliding into the goal. Not for when someone actually scores a goal.

I'm sorry you guys had to listen to our commentators, they're awful.

The terminology is fine. Actually except for the use of the word Soccer instead of football, I think American terminology is often more appropriate.

Just because you are used to English terminology, doesn't mean it isn't often dumb and inapropo.

What is annoying is the use of commentators who know Fuck all about teams outside the 4 walls of the US. And the sudden Ads coming up at inopportuned times.

Not to mention a general bias towards anything American that they can't check at the door.

Oh by the way, sport news reporting, or sports commentary in general, the US shits on the rest of the world. I want to puke anytime I have to listen to some boring English Sod on SSN reporting football news. Please watch an ESPN sportscenter report or "Pardon the Interruption" (which funnily is appropriate whent those dumb ads come on) and see how entertaining sports reporting can be. You all need a little Stuart Scott in your lives. For real Don't know why ESPN lets these boring douchebags run their footie commentary. I guess it is perhaps coz it is barely more important than the bowling world series over here.

But don't paint American commentary with the douche brush<br /><br />-- Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:40 am --<br /><br />
supermicahrichards said:
Twellman (the commentator) does the Phiadelphia Union's games, my local team. So I listen to him every week. He's the fucking worst. Just brutal to listen to, always trying to be funny....always failing...and always sucking at communicating the game to fans.

There are a couple Americans who do a decent job (JP Dellacamera does some USNT games, and is Twellmans partner for the Union), but the best thing ESPN did for the sport is import Ian Darke.
Who is the bald (Scottish or Irish) guy from Foxsoccer, who joins ESPN for World cup coverage. That dude is good. Ian Darke and that dude are phenomenal

Denis Law Back Heel said:
and one said he would have "stern words" with clichy because he got back up after staggering around and seemed annoyed that he played on.

Um, he said he'd have stern words with the City staff, not Clichy himself you knob.

espn commentators drive me up the damn wall....

I'd prefer to simply watch the game. I mute it half the time, after they piss me off. Fuck I'd prefer steve mcpointalot to commentate than these yankees who can't get ANY facts straight.

Fuzzmaster101 said:
samharris said:
On the throw = Throw in.
Tackled away = challenge.
Kept in front = keeper makes save.
Soccer plan =. Football rules.
Top of the box = Edge of area.
Flaring wide = shot misses.
To the penalty spot we go = penalty.
one oh = one nil.
Attacking half of the field = opposition half.
See the play out = play to the whistle.
Early seat = substitution.
Situation not figured out = contract talks ongoing.
Warming = playing well.
Give and go = one two.
Flanker = winger.
Line of pressure = forward line.
Manchester united = Manchester City. :)
Hit = Shot.

Hope this helps.
Don't forget "And Manchester City have England No1 Joe Hart in the cage!" - i.e. in goal ;)
They're Canadian. ;)

Dax777 said:
The terminology is fine. Actually except for the use of the word Soccer instead of football, I think American terminology is often more appropriate.

Just because you are used to English terminology, doesn't mean it isn't often dumb and inapropo.

What is annoying is the use of commentators who know Fuck all about teams outside the 4 walls of the US. And the sudden Ads coming up at inopportuned times.

Not to mention a general bias towards anything American that they can't check at the door.

Oh by the way, sport news reporting, or sports commentary in general, the US shits on the rest of the world. I want to puke anytime I have to listen to some boring English Sod on SSN reporting football news. Please watch an ESPN sportscenter report or "Pardon the Interruption" (which funnily is appropriate whent those dumb ads come on) and see how entertaining sports reporting can be. You all need a little Stuart Scott in your lives. For real Don't know why ESPN lets these boring douchebags run their footie commentary. I guess it is perhaps coz it is barely more important than the bowling world series over here.

But don't paint American commentary with the douche brush

-- Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:40 am --

supermicahrichards said:
Twellman (the commentator) does the Phiadelphia Union's games, my local team. So I listen to him every week. He's the fucking worst. Just brutal to listen to, always trying to be funny....always failing...and always sucking at communicating the game to fans.

There are a couple Americans who do a decent job (JP Dellacamera does some USNT games, and is Twellmans partner for the Union), but the best thing ESPN did for the sport is import Ian Darke.
Who is the bald (Scottish or Irish) guy from Foxsoccer, who joins ESPN for World cup coverage. That dude is good. Ian Darke and that dude are phenomenal

You're not referring to Tommy Smyth are you as he does ESPN press pass over here as well. He is fucking dire, he's like a leprachaun on helium.

minnesota blue said:
Denis Law Back Heel said:
and one said he would have "stern words" with clichy because he got back up after staggering around and seemed annoyed that he played on.

Um, he said he'd have stern words with the City staff, not Clichy himself you knob.

Sorry must have herd it wrong.

samharris said:
Someone should tell them that players can stutter (but not stop) whilst taking penalties
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_Y75_QV76E[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccF8TXro2-s[/youtube]

baylorblue said:
Not many watch football in America, I don't understand why you all find it so unreasonable that commentators would need to mix metaphors from other sports that Americans do watch to try to make the action more understandable for the casual viewer.

So there's your excuse for the odd terminology, what's your excuse for the terrible unjustified commentary on players like Balotelli, De Jong, confusing numerous players etc. ?

supermicahrichards said:

He's a wanker as well, him and McMananananman do the commentary for City games on ESPN. But I agree they are good compared to these knobs.

The commentary I had described De Jong as "one of the least favourite City players, according to the fans".

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.