Etihad Atmosphere - 2021/22

Ever thought that the reason the 2 areas are the best for atmosphere simply because they are next to the away fans?

why do you need away fans to sing or support the team?

If we swapped the kippax corner and away fans we’d have a large home end and songs would carry throughout the ground and wouldn’t be split between the two sections. Why would you not want that?

one large home end or two small sections split by away fans..

I bang on about this regularly. It's a bigger problem than people think. Human psychology is such that nobody wants to lok a dick and be the only one singing in their block or stand. If a song is loud enough, there are loads who will join in to the songs which don't involve clapping. But because there are about 1000 singers in each singing section, it doesn't get loud enough to spread unless both are singing at once and it spreads both ways around the ground at once before the song is over.

I got laughed at on here once but some sort of acoustic/sound reflective solution which allows songs to be heard in both singing sections when one starts would have a bigger effect than people think.
I think the types of songs are also the problem. The whole ground is not going to join into songs about empty seats or random songs about former players. The one time that everyone joined in was when the singing section sang Blue Moon in response to YNWA.
1894 need a rethink and tailor the songs to home and away matches. I think Psychedelic Casual made the point a few weeks ago that the singing sections at home act as if they are in an away section when really their job is to get the whole ground to join in. They need to sing more classics that will travel around the stadium.

What everyone opinion on The light shows before games brilliant to get the atmosphere going but would prefer it just to be Lights out Blue moon like we did in the past rather than an all out light show
The whole light show and songs pre match was excellent. What you have to remember is, there's plenty of kids (and tourists to a lesser extent) in the crowd who aren't overly interested in the football yet. The lightshow will be something they remember and talk about going home over pretty much anything else. City go above and beyond to help make the atmosphere.

I think the types of songs are also the problem. The whole ground is not going to join into songs about empty seats or random songs about former players. The one time that everyone joined in was when the singing section sang Blue Moon in response to YNWA.
1894 need a rethink and tailor the songs to home and away matches. I think Psychedelic Casual made the point a few weeks ago that the singing sections at home act as if they are in an away section when really their job is to get the whole ground to join in. They need to sing more classics that will travel around the stadium.
Yes, that pisses me off to be honest. The clapalongs. @Psychedelic Casual is dead right about it.

We'd just gone 2.1 up and the South Stand go into that irritating "empty seats" song for about 5 minutes which will never ever catch on at a home game and ensured that the other singing section couldn't be heard and the rest of the ground just sat there.

The whole light show and songs pre match was excellent. What you have to remember is, there's plenty of kids (and tourists to a lesser extent) in the crowd who aren't overly interested in the football yet. The lightshow will be something they remember and talk about going home over pretty much anything else. City go above and beyond to help make the atmosphere.
What the club don't get is what kids remember is not even the light show or flags or whatever. It's not so much even the football, although that is part of it.

Kids get excited by noise, singing and aggression. They want to be part of that. I think we would have bigger crowds and a bigger fanbase if the club addressed this problem instead of seeming to do everything in their power to make it as bad as possible.

100% agree.
The crowd joined in when the classics were sung, unfortunately the south stand never seem to sing them.

didn’t hear hey Jude, we love you city, we’re not really here once from the south stand last night

I'm no expert on acoustics in public spaces but I seriously suspect that there's a problem around that at the Etihad. I'm not sure that people at the far end of the CB stand or the East Stand hear whatever the South Stand's singing, even when it's absolutely loud and clear within the SS itself. And vice versa. More than types of songs, I think that's one of the main reasons it's very difficult to get the whole stadium singing a classic song. You pick up snatches of what's being sung elsewhere, and by the time your stand has picked it up, it's dying away where it originated. I've noticed it myself when I've sat in other stands.
And another thing. I know I bang on about this, but the deafening public address system (and the not-very-fascinating things that are being said on it) simply bludgeons people into passiveness. I'm sure about this.

What the club don't get is what kids remember is not even the light show or flags or whatever. It's not so much even the football, although that is part of it.

Kids get excited by noise, singing and aggression. They want to be part of that. I think we would have bigger crowds and a bigger fanbase if the club addressed this problem instead of seeming to do everything in their power to make it as bad as possible.
What are they doing to make it as bad as possible? They allowed and assisted 1894 in a display, they choregraphed a light show with music before the match, some people may not be a fan of it but it creates a reaction immediately after it, some may say they want that time to sing whatever they want, well city have done that before plenty of times and the crowd have done fuck all and we've kicked off in silence, there's also 90 entire minutes afterwards to sing whatever they want a few minutes beforehand doesn't impact anybody negatively in that regard. There's a lot of blaming the club for atmosphere issues and in the past there's been some problems but all I see from city is them doing everything they can to help. The fans simply aren't interested and look to blame anybody but themselves. There's only one reason why the atmosphere isn't what it should be, the fans.

It's not a "job", though, and people aren't singing in order to entice the opposite end of the ground to sing. They've had a few beers and they start a song and they hope people around them join in. There's plenty of renditions of Blue Moon, We Love You City, and Invisible Man each game. It is what it is.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.