Etihad Atmosphere - 2021/22

We're having our first problems of this at Wolves. Prices went up and it's clear the owners don't want the locals in, just like most other Premier League owners.

I'd say we have a year or two left of having what is a very good atmosphere (by Premier League standards) until it's sucked out of it. Of course, expectation plays a part, where you are not enthused by playing the likes of us and most others in the league, we're starting to get it with the Burnley's, Norwich's etc. Shame, but happens everywhere.

Just wondering what the prices are for your ground?

I ask because getting a cab to the ground from near Picadilly, agreed to share with two lads who we were presumed City fans. Get talking and they say they're 'football fans', with one saying they support Sheffield United if they had to say and the other saying he's actually a United fan! And they claimed they have season tickets. Is it cheap?

Couldn't believe it but thankfully the cab driver was a proper City fan so spoke to him.

But it gave me an idea of what the atmosphere would be like and yeah it was very bad, but as I say, even we're slowly going that way.

Last edited:
I think all grounds are struggling to be full. The games I have seen on tv look the same as us with empty seats, it's just the press/media dont mention it.
I think as a fan base we have become sensitive to it.

Price, to much football, pandemic are reasons for this. I have been to a few matches this season but at the back of my mind it's always " is this sensible?'. Not so much when the game is on but getting out at the end.

It's not just football that is having problems with no-shows. "Bands and DJs are resorting to inviting huge guest lists to their gigs in order to boost numbers because as many as four in 10 ticket holders are not turning up" - this from an article on Sunday. "Dublin-based promoter Will Rolfe agrees. He thinks there is a 40% no-show on average in the UK at the moment. “It’s a big issue and it’s having a real knock-on effect,” he explained. Sacha Lord, the co-founder of Parklife festival and night-time economy adviser for Greater Manchester, said even the most popular line-ups are being affected. “We’re seeing a big drop-off, even at really hot, sold-out shows. It’s happening every single night, and it’s affecting all artists.” We are super sensitive to this as we have been an unfair target for a few years, but looking at the crowd in some of the other weekend games I think it's common. We still get a larger attendance than the vast majority of premier league clubs.

We're having our first problems of this at Wolves. Prices went up and it's clear the owners don't want the locals in, just like most other Premier League owners.

I'd say we have a year or two left of having what is a very good atmosphere (by Premier League standards) until it's sucked out of it. Of course, expectation plays a part, where you are not enthused by playing the likes of us and most others in the league, we're starting to get it with the Burnley's, Norwich's etc. Shame, but happens everywhere.

I ask because getting a cab to the ground from near Picadilly, agreed to share with two lads who we were presumed City fans. Get talking and they say they're 'football fans', with one saying they support Sheffield United if they had to say and the other saying he's actually a United fan! And they claimed they have season tickets. Is it cheap?

Couldn't believe it but thankfully the cab driver was a proper City fan so spoke to him.

But it gave me an idea of what the atmosphere would be like and yeah it was very bad, but as I say, even we're slowly going that way.
They don't want the likes of us mate.......price us all out if they could. It's why loads gave up in the past 20 years. They wanted to fuck the hoolie types off and replace with less troublesome .....fans. They will never ever lower prices, to keep trouble away on the scale it was.

Seen loads of supporters of other clubs at Champs league games......Bristol City fans most recently v PSG stood right next to me in 109....closet blues if you ask me as they sang every song.

Last edited:
Impressed with Palace’s ultra support today. Must be fun following them. Everton we’re dire but the Palace fans definitely spurred on the team on to do well.
They’re okay those Palace band geeks, but their songs get annoying if it’s the ones with no words and the drum is bloody awful. But to be fair they sing all game non-stop.

Mollineux and Elland Road have brilliant atmospheres, without the need for a band. Both Wolves and Leeds fans sing all game no matter what.

West Ham at the Olympic Stadium have had a great atmosphere this season, they seem to have settled in there now (no drum). Villa Park is the noisiest in the country when the Holt End gets going (it’s absolutely massive!), they too don’t have a drum. Even United’s new singing section doesn’t stop singing all game (videos on YouTube, I won’t post them on here) even when City and Liverpool goals went in, in those recent games, their singing section carried on singing non-stop just like the Palace fans (and no drum at Old Trafford). United have had a proper shake-up within their fanbase recently, they’ve really put a lot of effort into their new singing section (albeit with some very strict rules!) .

It has to be said too that we produce some amazing atmospheres, maybe only a few times a season with a handful more that are really good… but none of them required a drum. As I said a few pages back, we just need plugging in and livening up. We’ve become stale and boring.

Arsenal? they had more empty seats than us at the weekend!

Likewise Spurs at home to Brentford, recently

Yeah, but you can hardly compare the general quality of football we've been producing for years now to those two. Also, if you don't happen to be a season ticket holder, I think you'll find those are easily the two most expensive grounds in the country to buy a one-off ticket (season tickets, too, come to that).
All three things — empty seats, general atmosphere, and people leaving early — do puzzle me.

Seriously, if we can’t create an atmosphere tomorrow night against 3000 Leeds United fans, then we really should give up.

I think the new COVID rules will have a big impact on the crowd and only the local diehards will go. ;-)

That being the case, the smaller, but much more boisterous City crowd should be up for it?

”We all hate Leeds SCUM!”

Last edited:

It can be cheap but there are very few cheap tickets at the Etihad.

My season ticket is £820 and mine is only one of the medium priced ones. A very small number are as low as £300 (they’re called Value Gold and you’re plonked on your own somewhere different every season), but some are as much as £1,500 just in the budget corporate area literally three rows back from where I sit in my block (all they get different to me is a padded seat and somewhere else with smaller queues to get a pint before and after the game).

Individual match tickets for the Wolves and Leeds games this week are £50-70 for adults and £30 for kids. Behind the goal in what is supposed to be our singing section, in the same stand that away fans only have to pay £30 for adults, it’s £50 for adults and £30 for kids.

Where I sit, on the half way line (in what was The Kippax, way back when), individual match tickets are £53-57 and £30 for kids for the Wolves and Leeds games.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.