Etihad Atmosphere - 2021/22

If you were a season ticket holder not on the the cup scheme you could get a ticket. My wife got one. Maybe they should give it a day or so for citizens. The issue we have the ground is not big enough for these matches but it is for league and earlier cup rounds. Also the timings for the selling criteria was short.
I have a season card but don't commit to the cup schemes but would normally buy if I know I can go. Maybe this is me being an FOC but I tend to find the tickets have gone with virtually no info or emails sent out as to when you can get one.

Noticeable that there were miles more of the classics tonight which caught on repeatedly right round the stadium. Also noticeable that the songs started up at the back of the south stand boomed around the stadium both ways quickly. And for once the two singing sections copied each other because the section between them sung.

It was almost like the entire stadium had been reading this thread ;-)
Spot on.

Songs that have been sidelined a lot of late got a good airing last night and everyone around the ground joined in, including “We Love You City”, “We’re Not Really Here” and “Na na na na City” (which sounds ridiculous to say we’ve sidelined them, but we had done for ages).

There was a moment when SSL1 had run out of ideas and started singing a Yaya Touré song and it wasn’t catching on, then SSL3 started singing “We Are City, Super City” and the whole ground joined in.

Right there is the epitome of the issue we’ve been talking about for a good while. The stadium as a whole love the City songs most!

We still need to bring many more back that we’ve sidelined for too long:
City, We’re From Manchester (Go West)
We’re The Pride Of Manchester
Oh Man City, The Only Football Team To Come From Manchester
City ’Til I Die
We All Follow Man City, Over Land And Sea

If we’d added some or all of those to the song list last night, it would have been even better.

That makes sense actually. Rich foreign students wanting a "cultural experience". City must have tapped into that market through the universities. Can't knock City for doing it given the number of regulars who don't come to CL games.

I was at MMU a few years ago. You could get cheap champions league tickets easily. I reckon the large amount of younger Chinese people are probably students

Last night was no different from any other Champions League night tourist wise.
I would imagine all other EPL grounds are the same on a Champions League night.
City now have season ticket holders who go to league games only.
I have one supporter next to me who is on all of the cup schemes.
The majority in my row I have not seen them bar League games and I have had different supporters next to me at all the Champions league games.
Still loyal Blues.
Honestly I do not see any reason to get worked up about it.
Would rather they took photos than throw flares and plastic bottles on the pitch.
It was Real Madrid after all. I don't like phone cameras in grounds - should be made to put them in a locker in the concourse lol. But if your a football fan then Real Madrid playing your team is special. Would have only dreamed of regular games v Real 30 years ago...

That makes sense actually. Rich foreign students wanting a "cultural experience". City must have tapped into that market through the universities. Can't knock City for doing it given the number of regulars who don't come to CL games.
I think City have had links with the student unions in Manchester since I was an ug in the early to mid 00s. I used to get dirt cheap tickets for league games, and I've heard they do the same at Huddersfield. The corner of the north stand is where they used to put us. I know they still have them for early CL games, dunno if they still make them available for semi finals, but basically if you see a young, fashionable looking group of Chinese people the best bet is students, probably postgrads.

Spot on.

Songs that have been sidelined a lot of late got a good airing last night and everyone around the ground joined in, including “We Love You City”, “We’re Not Really Here” and “Na na na na City” (which sounds ridiculous to say we’ve sidelined them, but we had done for ages).

There was a moment when SSL1 had run out of ideas and started singing a Yaya Touré song and it wasn’t catching on, then SSL3 started singing “We Are City, Super City” and the whole ground joined in.

Right there is the epitome of the issue we’ve been talking about for a good while. The stadium as a whole love the City songs most!

We still need to bring many more back that we’ve sidelined for too long:
City, We’re From Manchester (Go West)
We’re The Pride Of Manchester
Oh Man City, The Only Football Team To Come From Manchester
City ’Til I Die
We All Follow Man City, Over Land And Sea

If we’d added some or all of those to the song list last night, it would have been even better.
Manchester la la la la Manchester la la la la...great away day's in London in the 70's in particular - lets give this a revival

Atmosphere is totally overrated and is more important to the media and pundits than it is to our team. As we saw at Athletico, games are won by players scoring goals and not what score the crowd recorded on Hughie Green's Clapometer!

No amount of singing, screaming or flag waving has ever scored a goal and I'd almost go as far as to say we don't prosper with the crowd screaming and cheering as it makes the players make rash decisions and attempt passes that might not be there. We saw this countless times last evening where cross field passes were intercepted, passes that didn't need to be played, but were due to the frenzy of fans hyping the situation. The Mahrez and Foden chances would probably have been scored in an empty stadium but last night missed due to performance anxiety. Look at last year, when without fans we strolled to the Premier League, League Cup and Champions League Final. That's the type of team we are, cool, precise and calculated and fan noise does not assist our play one iota. Admittedly for teams that play pinball football then screaming fans might assist their chaotic plan but the reality is that it does little or nothing for this current City side.
Atmosphere isn’t about the team, it’s about the fans. Football is 50% about the team and 50% about fan culture. Atmosphere is part of fan culture.

Football during lockdowns with no fans was very boring. Instead of watching every game that’s on during the week, I was only watching City’s games and maybe the odd other through a week.

Fans and fans culture makes football, it’s what pushes football ahead of other sports. I genuinely enjoyed watching the rugby league during lockdowns more than the footy. The overriding feeling I got from last year’s semi final win with no fans was detachment and like it was a glorified training session, and getting to and playing in the final with very few fans didn’t make it seem very important at all (maybe why I was over it by the Monday morning).

Yet add the fans in and add a proper atmosphere to it, and it makes it feel like a special game.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think City have had links with the student unions in Manchester since I was an ug in the early to mid 00s. I used to get dirt cheap tickets for league games, and I've heard they do the same at Huddersfield. The corner of the north stand is where they used to put us. I know they still have them for early CL games, dunno if they still make them available for semi finals, but basically if you see a young, fashionable looking group of Chinese people the best bet is students, probably postgrads.
I've read that Manchester has one of the best brain retention levels in the UK. Great news if they start watching us as a student then stay have kids etc...generations of blues are made this way

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.