Etihad Atmosphere - 2022/23

Even the MLS are streets ahead of the EPL

What do you call streets ahead? Banging a drum for 90 mins, having a wonk on a ladder telling you when to chant? Noise that bears no resemblence to what is happening on the pitch?

Our atmosphere is great when we need it to be, we beat ourselves up too much on here about 'atmosphere'. Liverpool last week was amazing, Villa last game of last year even more so, Saturday was a frustrating game and the crowd reflected that.

Pretty much all of that is spot on.

There is no single reason as to why the atmosphere has worsened over the years, but it does appear to be the case for most clubs.

Where City haven't helped themselves is with the turfing of a lot of Platt Lane old boys from the North Stand back in 2010. Having a whole end for families is just a bad idea.

Sometimes too, you just have to admit that prolonged success brings about more blasé attitudes.

It appears to be a demographic issue at the club. There simply aren't enough young fans in a concentrated part of the ground to whip things up. It used to be the case that CL nights were quieter, but the knockout games with a more cosmopolitan support seems to generate a better atmosphere.

Two years ago I'd have said no to an ultras group but I've now changed my mind. We need a better atmosphere and if that involves orchestration then so be it. We had a drummer at Hyde Road so it's not without precedent.
A drummer at Hyde Road, yes I'm sure I read it but when I mentioned it a few years ago it was debunked ?

100% this.

The main reason was that we'd had very little to actually 'raise the roof' for for quite some time.

Another reason was that the majority of matches were genuinely competitive. Two teams playing to win, unlike the Pep era where barely a handful of teams come to the Etihad with any ambition beyond nicking a goal on the break.

It's a sign of the times. We weren't an absolutely dominant force in the PL during the Mancini era. We were the disruptors, the new kids on the block, with players no-one would have ever expected to be at City.

And we loved it... The passion and fire of Roberto Mancini inspired fans play a genuine part in the game. The atmosphere was electric and I don't think it was ever much better than the night we beat West Brom and the rags lost at Wigan. Pre-match, during the match, post-match on the way back to the car park... fans were still singing.

What we have seen over the post-Pellegrini era is the development of a team that is now expected to win pretty much everything. Over that time, it's been apparent that the atmosphere has declined in all but the 'biggest' / most important matches

Someone once said (I believe it may have been Mike Summerbee), City fans are now sitting back and savouring the football on show rather than singing songs. It's not unreasonable for fans to ignore any distractions from what's happening on the pitch.

We get large numbers of football tourists at every game in every stand. They won't sing - they've come to watch Pep's players do his thing.

We probably need a good old relegation battle to stir the natives into creating a passionate atmosphere at every game. It seems to work at Forest...

I think we'll see a big change in fan attitude after Pep leaves.
I’m in agreement with this. I think once Pep leaves we’ll drop back into the pack. I’m not saying we’ll collapse, a la United, as the club is too well run from top to bottom but I think we’ll be in a genuine scrap for honours rather than being overwhelming favourites as we are now, where we’re not necessarily expecting to turn up and win every week. If that were to happen and the team needs the backing of the fans more than they do today, hopefully we will step up. Either that or we’ve been sanitised beyond repair.

This sort of stuff isn’t as good as our best atmospheres, no video I’ve ever seen of ‘Ultras’ is ever as impressive as the best English atmospheres. We just need people to be more consistent.

Plus, as I’ve repeatedly said, a massive ‘COOOOOOME OOOOOON!’ from the crowd to get the team going is miles better than some shit song with no words from band geeks in Ricky Gervais fancy dress.

Every club around isn’t embracing Ultras at all, you’ve pretty much exhausted the list in Britain there (unless your list includes Crawley Town and Stevenage Borough?), it’s very much the minority and most English fans look at them as a bit shit. You won’t see Newcastle Leeds Liverpool United etc. ever have this sort of shit, they’d laugh you out of their city if you suggested ‘let’s all dress up like cunts and bang a drum and sing oooah oh woah owaaahhh for 90 minutes’.

Clubs down South like Arsenal are embracing it because their fans have been an embarrassment for a decade and being Southerners they’ve got no fan culture style of their own to be proud of.

I’ll be honest, I’m sick to fucking death of being told I need to embrace this shit. Every time there’s a shit atmosphere it’s brought up, every time we have a great atmosphere the band geek wannabes are nowhere to be seen on this thread, often when there’s a good atmosphere this thread stays on page 2 or 3 and no **** posts videos of our game that’s just had a great atmosphere.

We create great scenes

And great atmospheres

Without the need for any of that.

Agree completely, the Palace 'Ultras' can stick it right up their arse !

I’m in agreement with this. I think once Pep leaves we’ll drop back into the pack. I’m not saying we’ll collapse, a la United, as the club is too well run from top to bottom but I think we’ll be in a genuine scrap for honours rather than being overwhelming favourites as we are now, where we’re not necessarily expecting to turn up and win every week. If that were to happen and the team needs the backing of the fans more than they do today, hopefully we will step up. Either that or we’ve been sanitised beyond repair.

Do we have to wait until then to improve the atmosphere?

If the timescale is right that will be when the North stand could or should be finished. Another 6000+ seats to fill. Will that improve the atmosphere as well?

Last edited:
That’s the spirit

Agree completely, the Palace 'Ultras' can stick it right up their arse !

I hope for Dave’s sake the club do announce a double tiered North stand with a new and dedicated singing section filled with CIty fans who want to sing constantly throughout the match, wave flags and banners, use a drum, a megaphone, etc. There should be 1 spare season ticket for sale when that happens. ;-)

Last edited:

If the timescale is right that will be when the North stand could or should be finished. Another 6000+ seats to fill. Will that improve the atmosphere as well?
With regards to the expansion, that all depends on what the club decide to do and what demographic of fan they want to put in there. I guess we’ll find that out soon enough.

Not seen any real evidence that the bigger the ground the better the atmosphere. Just another tier to split up like minded fans, and added difficulty for songs to spread around the ground in unison.

For me the stadium with the better atmospheres seems to have typically one large tier, than groups being split up across a number of tiers.

With regards to the expansion, that all depends on what the club decide to do and what demographic of fan they want to put in there. I guess we’ll find that out soon enough.

As you say.

The wait can’t be over soon enough.

And then we’ll truly know where the club stand in improving the atmosphere at the Etihad, and giving more younger, local and vocal City fans the opportunity to watch the team.

Younger, Local and Vocal.

Now that’s one way to push a new singing section.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.