Etihad Atmosphere - 2022/23

Witch hunt time, look fuck all wrong with the atmosphere, folks are getting sick of the mad tactics - lets get a left back and some pace on the wings, and drop the 3 at the back - that’d be a good start ;-)

100% this.

The main reason was that we'd had very little to actually 'raise the roof' for for quite some time.

Another reason was that the majority of matches were genuinely competitive. Two teams playing to win, unlike the Pep era where barely a handful of teams come to the Etihad with any ambition beyond nicking a goal on the break.

It's a sign of the times. We weren't an absolutely dominant force in the PL during the Mancini era. We were the disruptors, the new kids on the block, with players no-one would have ever expected to be at City.

And we loved it... The passion and fire of Roberto Mancini inspired fans play a genuine part in the game. The atmosphere was electric and I don't think it was ever much better than the night we beat West Brom and the rags lost at Wigan. Pre-match, during the match, post-match on the way back to the car park... fans were still singing.

What we have seen over the post-Pellegrini era is the development of a team that is now expected to win pretty much everything. Over that time, it's been apparent that the atmosphere has declined in all but the 'biggest' / most important matches

Someone once said (I believe it may have been Mike Summerbee), City fans are now sitting back and savouring the football on show rather than singing songs. It's not unreasonable for fans to ignore any distractions from what's happening on the pitch.

We get large numbers of football tourists at every game in every stand. They won't sing - they've come to watch Pep's players do his thing.

We probably need a good old relegation battle to stir the natives into creating a passionate atmosphere at every game. It seems to work at Forest...

I think we'll see a big change in fan attitude after Pep leaves.
The Kippax Corner was the best area of the ground for noise back then n’all and it spread down the East Stand much more than it does these days.

Back in the early years of the takeover (Chelsea game the week after the takeover, Hamburg game) and the Mancini era (Chelsea Nasri-Tevez game second half, United at home 1-0 Kompany header, QPR) where I sit in 105 would stand up all game for some big games or the more exciting games as it spread down from the corner (even against Sporting in the Europa League we stood up all second half).

We’ve not stood up in 105 for YEARS!

Last edited by a moderator:
Witch hunt time, look fuck all wrong with the atmosphere, folks are getting sick of the mad tactics - lets get a left back and some pace on the wings, and drop the 3 at the back - that’d be a good start ;-)
we have played arguably the greatest football the league has seen in years gone by and the atmosphere has still been abysmal

The Kippax Corner was the best area of the ground for noise back then n’all and it spread down the East Stand much more than it does these days.

Back in the early years of the takeover (Chelsea game the week after the takeover, Hamburg game) and the Mancini era (Chelsea Nasri-Tevez game second half, United at home 1-0 Kompany header, QPR) where I sit in 105 would stand up all game for some big games or the more exciting games as it spread down from the corner (even against Sporting in the Europa League we stood up all second half).

We’ve not stood up in 105 for YEARS!

Yes. 111 and 110, then 109 used to be brilliant. A tight cluster of singers in the corner that were always very vocal and had loads of banter and piss taking off the away fans.(inflatable Fergie cock, etc) Sadly that section has now gone quieter as well, bar the big games against United, Liverpool, Arsenal and Spurs. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but the club should have made that the singing section, kept the singers in there, and asked other singers to move into those blocks, seats permitting, instead of making 115 the singing section.

No left back has irritated us all. Can't remember the last time we had a proper left back ? I mean one that was great going forward and also solid at defending. It's been decades.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.