Etihad Atmosphere - 2022/23

When posters are saying it was better in the old days, does the Mancini era count?

I’d say the atmosphere was great when he was our manager. Some of the loudest home games I’ve been too. We also came up with some of the best creative chants in England. It wasn’t that long ago we were class.
Agree with this. Many many home games were ace atmospheres in the Mancini era.

That’s exactly how I felt today. It felt almost awkward to join in and try and chant. You could hear all the songs/ chants easily as well.

As you say great section of fans/ proper city fans. Just no passion/ noise
Exactly - I still sang but looked and felt silly as everyone around me sat in silence bar one or two others. Bloke in front of me decked out in club shop gear filming the screen the entire time (not even the actual game!)

It feels like the majority of vocal support is concentrated in SSL1

@jrb is right, the PC brigade is out , oooo Ultra's we can't have that, oooo we cant have banging a drum oooo the noise it is a football stadium there is supposed to be noise

Prophet of doom you are so spot there!

"A new stadium will be filled with the same people that sat in silence yesterday"

Every club around is embracing Ultra fans, Arsenal, Crystal Palace, Bournemouth, Rangers, Celtic the list is endless

The ultra fans is not the ultra that break in training grounds in Italy

We talking about fans who march to the stadium banking a drum, make TIFOs have megaphones try and encourage other parts of the stadium to make noise

Here is a video of ultra fans

The football culture in this country is now changing with new stadium designs, safe-standing sections and the introduction of capo stands

Looks like CITY are going to get left behind if they don't embrace change

This sort of stuff isn’t as good as our best atmospheres, no video I’ve ever seen of ‘Ultras’ is ever as impressive as the best English atmospheres. We just need people to be more consistent.

Plus, as I’ve repeatedly said, a massive ‘COOOOOOME OOOOOON!’ from the crowd to get the team going is miles better than some shit song with no words from band geeks in Ricky Gervais fancy dress.

Every club around isn’t embracing Ultras at all, you’ve pretty much exhausted the list in Britain there (unless your list includes Crawley Town and Stevenage Borough?), it’s very much the minority and most English fans look at them as a bit shit. You won’t see Newcastle Leeds Liverpool United etc. ever have this sort of shit, they’d laugh you out of their city if you suggested ‘let’s all dress up like cunts and bang a drum and sing oooah oh woah owaaahhh for 90 minutes’.

Clubs down South like Arsenal are embracing it because their fans have been an embarrassment for a decade and being Southerners they’ve got no fan culture style of their own to be proud of.

I’ll be honest, I’m sick to fucking death of being told I need to embrace this shit. Every time there’s a shit atmosphere it’s brought up, every time we have a great atmosphere the band geek wannabes are nowhere to be seen on this thread, often when there’s a good atmosphere this thread stays on page 2 or 3 and no **** posts videos of our game that’s just had a great atmosphere.

We create great scenes

And great atmospheres

Without the need for any of that.

Last edited by a moderator:
The way opponents set up against us certainly doesn't help and it's draining watching the constant time wasting. If that game on Saturday was in the World Cup the board could easily have read 20 minutes at the end of the second half. Unfortunately these tactics are proving rather fruitful.
The refs themselves bottle it every time and almost encourage it. When a goalkeeper is taking a couple of minutes to take a goalkick at the very start of the game get the yellow out early and put a stop to it straight away. They seem to take an eternity to turn around and face the goalkeeper to then just gesture them to kick it after the crowd have already been hurling abuse for about 30 seconds. Next goalkick exactly the same scenario. Really does get tedious and ruins the spectacle.
I was thinking about this today, my solution would be for goalkicks, corners and throw ins, you get twenty seconds to take it, after 15 seconds the ref warns the taker, if he still hasn’t taken it after 20, the set piece gets reversed, a goal kick becomes a corner, a corner becomes a goal kick or a throw in gets swapped to the other team, no need for bookings etc, just simply switch the possession over to the opposition.

I was thinking about this today, my solution would be for goalkicks, corners and throw ins, you get twenty seconds to take it, after 15 seconds the ref warns the taker, if he still hasn’t taken it after 20, the set piece gets reversed, a goal kick becomes a corner, a corner becomes a goal kick or a throw in gets swapped to the other team, no need for bookings etc, just simply switch the possession over to the opposition.
They should be consistent with bookings, not just in 90+ minutes if it’s obvious even from 15-20 mins especially for an away team yellow card end of.

Far too many substandard shithouse clubs with shithouses in charge of them trying to piss on football every week in the premier league

They should be consistent with bookings, not just in 90+ minutes if it’s obvious even from 15-20 mins especially for an away team yellow card end of.

Far too many substandard shithouse clubs with shithouses in charge of them trying to piss on football every week in the premier league
The very least they could do is follow the World Cup example of adding everything on as injury time. The problem is if we played ten minutes injury time there would be nobody left in the ground at full time.

Nothing wrong with the way it is now mate. Just get the fucking card out!
Be far too messy breaking the game down further. If they can't simply manage to pull a card out of their pocket they are never going to keep on top of 20 second decision reversals.

Brentford liverpool game, quiet as anything until the 3rd goal, hardly a squeak out of the away fans. What will get remembered is the great atmosphere later on and the rest will be forgotten.
I heard plenty from the Brentford fans in the first half including chanting, “worst support we’ve ever seen” to the bin dippers.

Agree with this. Many many home games were ace atmospheres in the Mancini era.

100% this.

The main reason was that we'd had very little to actually 'raise the roof' for for quite some time.

Another reason was that the majority of matches were genuinely competitive. Two teams playing to win, unlike the Pep era where barely a handful of teams come to the Etihad with any ambition beyond nicking a goal on the break.

It's a sign of the times. We weren't an absolutely dominant force in the PL during the Mancini era. We were the disruptors, the new kids on the block, with players no-one would have ever expected to be at City.

And we loved it... The passion and fire of Roberto Mancini inspired fans play a genuine part in the game. The atmosphere was electric and I don't think it was ever much better than the night we beat West Brom and the rags lost at Wigan. Pre-match, during the match, post-match on the way back to the car park... fans were still singing.

What we have seen over the post-Pellegrini era is the development of a team that is now expected to win pretty much everything. Over that time, it's been apparent that the atmosphere has declined in all but the 'biggest' / most important matches

Someone once said (I believe it may have been Mike Summerbee), City fans are now sitting back and savouring the football on show rather than singing songs. It's not unreasonable for fans to ignore any distractions from what's happening on the pitch.

We get large numbers of football tourists at every game in every stand. They won't sing - they've come to watch Pep's players do his thing.

We probably need a good old relegation battle to stir the natives into creating a passionate atmosphere at every game. It seems to work at Forest...

I think we'll see a big change in fan attitude after Pep leaves.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.