Etihad Atmosphere - 2022/23

In the North Stand one of the issues felt like a fair amount of shyness.

Some fans joined in with the South Stand songs but in a kind of hushed tone - hard to describe but a bit like when you sing along in the car. It’s like they wanted to play it safe rather than belt it out and risk being embarrassed.

In the North Stand one of the issues felt like a fair amount of shyness.

Some fans joined in with the South Stand songs but in a kind of hushed tone - hard to describe but a bit like when you sing along in the car. It’s like they wanted to play it safe rather than belt it out and risk being embarrassed.
This is the crowd psychology I regularly post about on here. If those around people sing they will sing too. Most people don’t want to look an arse.

Not bad for me today considering it was worst case scenario with large numbers of away fans dominating the sound holding area. Started poorly with incessant clapalongs but then after the goal the proper songs got sung for much of the rest of the first half. Second half was ok. Lots of singing in the south stand who could hear each other because Chelsea were quiet, but not much going around other areas. 6/10 for me.

I don’t agree with that at all. There was multiple times the entire south stand was singing as one voice.

Compare that to the Everton game - now that was poor
Loud after the goals for a bit feels like we always need something to happen though to create an atmosphere rather than us try and push the lads to score. Second half the same Quite until the goal or when Chelsea fans started a riot from the second tier.

Was in family stand 1 today and it was decent atmosphere in the end. Started off VERY quiet with no retort to Chelsea winding us up about Europe but caught fire after the first goal, with tearing cockneys apart getting louder every time it was sung, a good few we never win at homes, and a few blue moons. As ever it took two or three of us to keep at it but the persistence was viral. Bottom line we have singers - if SS and NS work together with two singing sections we’ll make a special noise in future.

All marred only by my eldest - a reliable witness - hearing some simpleton in front of us calling Koulibaly the N word. Just why? We are Manchester not Millwall, we are better than that.

Whoever did it is lucky I didn’t hear them as they’d have been humiliated. Also quite a few early leavers. Each to their own, but still.

Anyway not a bad show in the round blues. Here’s hoping we get the Saturday or Sunday for the next round, Arsenal at home will be cracking.

Bottom line we have singers - if SS and NS work together with two singing sections we’ll make a special noise in future.
This is the main thing that would properly change our atmosphere - noise from both ends, which could then carry to other areas. Think of the special atmospheres in the past - Newcastle 2004, Hamburg, Spurs CL, Liverpool 2019, some of the derbies - the ground made noise as one, no passengers. If the North Stand had more singers, it would be more likely to catch in the Kippax and Colin Bell. I’ve posted in here before but as a one off I’d love to see sone of the vocal singers relocate to another area to see what impact it has (even in SSL3 for a CL tie to see how the noise travels with hundreds more singers up there)

I relocated to SS lower today and thought it was decent, but that ledge at the back is a complete noise killer. Other observation was that while there may have been 50% singers in there, that means there was still 50% not bothering - for the life of me I don’t understand why.

This is the crowd psychology I regularly post about on here. If those around people sing they will sing too. Most people don’t want to look an arse.

Not bad for me today considering it was worst case scenario with large numbers of away fans dominating the sound holding area. Started poorly with incessant clapalongs but then after the goal the proper songs got sung for much of the rest of the first half. Second half was ok. Lots of singing in the south stand who could hear each other because Chelsea were quiet, but not much going around other areas. 6/10 for me.
What mark did you give to yourself?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.