Etihad Atmosphere - 2022/23

The atmosphere goes with the performance to be fair. The performance in that first half was slow, boring and in line with the recent games. Shock horror that the atmosphere was a bit shite, maybe the team need to take that responsibility.

So we only sing now when we are winning or playing well? That never used to be the case.

I’m not sure I even agree with that. Theres been plenty of games where Weve battered teams and the crowd have barely any noise. The game against Everton a few weeks ago, we were going for the win and attacking and there was nothing - Haaland had to literally tell the fans to make some noise.

Last edited:
The ones that created the atmosphere in the past have gotten older and probably cba anymore.Then the younger fans are from a generation of social anxiety and brought up on the atmosphere steadily declining so there's no learning the ropes or riding coat tails as it were.
It's the same at almost every team in this country(at least prem anyway), that's why you can ALWAYS hear our away support.

The younger fans. I’m talking about people in the 21-30 age range have been priced out of attending matches regularly. Look around the ground at a premier league match - most people are 50 or above.

It's not only the singing as such, imo. There was a period in the first half when we'd had 3 consecutive corners, our fans were roaring us on. Spurs seemed ready to crack. The 3rd corner was hoofed out for a throw and suddenly it was ghostly quiet. There ended our pressure. Its really weird. Sometimes we're even attacking in the area and there's no roar.
Pep said aboit English crowds when he first arrived that when you look back at when the home crowd gets going actually little really happens on the pitch (mightve been at Wolves) He was still trying to establish possession play at the time. Strange though we can concede 2 in 2 minutes surprisingly easily when the oppo apply a bit of pressure.
Dunno, just wish we could apply some extra pressure while our team are dismantling the opp. I think it does make a difference. Yes, I know we are methodical rather than swashbuckling but it doesn't stop our away fans making a racket.

The younger fans. I’m talking about people in the 21-30 age range have been priced out of attending matches regularly. Look around the ground at a premier league match - most people are 50 or above.

This is true, more tourists pouring in too, which is fine but doesn't help the atmosphere. Rising cost of living ect and with City making most money in football you'd hope we could give the youngers a leg up.

Pep has to know this, he's not going be able to rile 50+ year olds to create a constant atmosphere. The club has to make a change, prioritise the match going fans over match going £, stop Americanising the experience too

I was in SSL3, you could barely hear the booing. They've got to find a way of getting that local core back by pricing it better. I'm in that group, 29 years old, local lad but there aren't loads of us scattered around the ground. I tried to get my season ticket back this year but that stupid free-for-all meant I couldn't. Luckily I picked up my ticket a lot cheaper in September and hopefully I helped add to the atmosphere up there which was decent. I wouldn't have gone if I'd had to pay £68 though.

Like I said the booing also wasn't that bad, a lot were pissed off with the ref and a bit frustrated that we weren't winning, nevermind losing 2-0.

This is true, more tourists pouring in too, which is fine but doesn't help the atmosphere. Rising cost of living ect and with City making most money in football you'd hope we could give the youngers a leg up.

Pep has to know this, he's not going be able to rile 50+ year olds to create a constant atmosphere. The club has to make a change, prioritise the match going fans over match going £, stop Americanising the experience too
This has nothing to do with cost of living or helping younger fans to go to games. This is everything to do with the fact that the atmosphere at most City homes games is just dire - compared to almost every other premiership club. As a fan that goes to all home and away matches and have done so for 20+ years, it is always noticeable how 'dull and bland' the atmosphere is at the Etihad. At so many other clubs, when the home team goes down a goal, it is not unusual to hear the home fans actually ramping up their support straight away. Of course, it is not always the case that other club atmospheres are always rocking, but without a shadow of doubt, City compared with most other premiership clubs is generally dire.
Pep was 100% on the money. It was not just about the first half & the fans being quiet. It is much more about the general atmosphere at the Etihad for the entire season - and before. A large proportion of the fans have become 'comfortable and beige' and most certainly, alot of the players are in the same zone. And as to the booing at half time - in all my years of watching and supporting City, for the first time ever, I was actually embarrassed hearing those boos. I was embarrassed to be a City fan.

They aren't excuses. All of those have had a detrimental impact on the atmosphere inside the ground.

Who the f*ck wants to see a laser show with people waving their mobile phone lights in the air before the match?

That idea has come from so suit at City. What's wrong with the fans just chanting and singing as the players come out instead?

It's all contrived bollocks. The sh*t you see before a cup final at Wembley. We don't need that at City, but the club are determined to press on with it, to in their words, improve the 'match day experience'. Do me a f*cking favour!!!
So that stops people singing, stop making excuses, just accept at times our support at home is embarrassing and it's got fuck all to do with light shows or corporate etc, I stand in South stand level one and there are LOADS who don't sing, young working class lads, so why don't they ???

So we only sing now when we are winning or playing well? That never used to be the case.

I’m not sure I even agree with that. Theres been plenty of games where I’ve battered teams and the crowd have barely any noise. The game against Everton a few weeks ago, we were going for the win and attacking and there was nothing - Haaland had to literally tell the fans to make some noise.
It does tend to be that way I think. As a fan base these days we generally need something to happen to generate that atmosphere we want.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.