Etihad Atmosphere - 2022/23

This is a video from around 42 mins on Friday. The game is still on. This is how busy the bar area is.

I don’t get why people pay hundreds (if not thousands) of £s per year on football tickets when they could watch it in the pub?

Worse than I thought. Barely anybody even watching the screen and showing any interest in the game.

Don't know how the atmosphere can substantially improve on where we currently are when there's large numbers that aren't even in the stands and are that passive about what's going on on the pitch.

Maybe as they don't physically hand the cash over when they enter the stadium they aren't thinking 'I've just paid £50 to have this pint'? Odd.

We’ve been in our current seats about 7 seasons now and although we see the same faces every game it’s difficult to build any sort kinship with these fellow blues as the pre-match / half time cheese makes it such hard work to even talk. (It’s like being at a party where you want to catch up with people but the music is too loud)! Everyone sits or stands there twiddling their thumbs. This has a knock on effect then, that no one can then be bothered to sing once the match starts. Turn off the music 10 mins before kick off; may take a few games but it can only help the atmosphere surely!
Not thought about it but you're right.

I've been in SS3 since it opened which is now as long give or take as I was in SS1 (FS) before,

There was much more banter, talking to people around me in SS1 from what I can remember, the volume wasn't turned to 11 at the time.

Not read all the pages added since Friday night because im meant to be working but I was moved from SS3 to SS1 against Arsenal (same against Chelsea but i couldnt go so young Gaz did instead)

SS1 was loud all night but whilst you're in it you've no clue if anyone else is joining in, Arsenal fans sounded muffled aswell but were obviously loud so I can see why when were loud in SS3 it doesnt travel well to level 1 singers, not making an excuse but obviously stadium acoustics arent helping us get a good atmosphere. The only solution ive got is for other parts of the ground to join in more than they do already but thats going to take a huge effort and a decent amount of time, it certainly wont happen anytime soon with people willing to create an atmosphere (completely generalising here) priced out of the Colin Bell and East Stand.

The club have got a massive chance to sort things out when expanding the North Stand but it remains to be seen whether they're in the least nit arsed

Worse than I thought. Barely anybody even watching the screen and showing any interest in the game.

Don't know how the atmosphere can substantially improve on where we currently are when there's large numbers that aren't even in the stands and are that passive about what's going on on the pitch.

Maybe as they don't physically hand the cash over when they enter the stadium they aren't thinking 'I've just paid £50 to have this pint'? Odd.
I'm not going to defend what's going on in that video. Indeed, you'd expect the fans to at least be watching the game while necking their pints (plus the service in that new bar area of the South Stand is so good that it's now possible to get served at half-time without leaving your seat early).

However, I will add that following City for many is way more than the football itself. It's an event. A day out. A social occasion where you can catch up with your mates over a few pints. Let's be honest - if it was only ever about the football, many of us would've sacked off watching City years ago when we were dogshit. Luckily, we had our gallows humour to get us through those bad times and some of the best days out I've ever had watching us is when we've been a joke on the pitch but we've had a great laugh off it. I'm off to Leipzig in a few weeks and like many fans, I'm not going all the way over there just for the football. Having said that, I'd be gutted if I didn't have a ticket to the match and had to make do with watching it in a bar. I guess I'm the kind of fan who likes to do it all - the day out, the piss up, watching the match, and joining in with the singing. The atmosphere topic is a big thing for me and I'm always keen to join in and start songs off. If I'm not doing my bit then I feel I'm letting the side down.

Not read all the pages added since Friday night because im meant to be working but I was moved from SS3 to SS1 against Arsenal (same against Chelsea but i couldnt go so young Gaz did instead)

SS1 was loud all night but whilst you're in it you've no clue if anyone else is joining in, Arsenal fans sounded muffled aswell but were obviously loud so I can see why when were loud in SS3 it doesnt travel well to level 1 singers, not making an excuse but obviously stadium acoustics arent helping us get a good atmosphere. The only solution ive got is for other parts of the ground to join in more than they do already but thats going to take a huge effort and a decent amount of time, it certainly wont happen anytime soon with people willing to create an atmosphere (completely generalising here) priced out of the Colin Bell and East Stand.

The club have got a massive chance to sort things out when expanding the North Stand but it remains to be seen whether they're in the least nit arsed
Good to get a perspective from a fan who has been moved from SS3 to SS1. There's often a bit of friction on here between those in SS3 and SS1 and who is the noisiest when I think the truth is simply that both sections try to get things going in their own right but acoustics mean that it doesn't always travel. Despite being in SS1, I honestly think that SS3 is the best place in the ground to get an atmosphere going as it travels across the stadium easier. We've got loads of singers in SS1 but many of the songs start off from the back and because those fans are under the low overhang, it struggles to even travel across our block at times so you can often have 2 different songs going off at once if fans closer to the front have started a song off at the same time. Handing over the whole of SS3 (and SS2) to the away fans for cup games is criminal in that regard. It's a free hit for visiting fans to boss the atmosphere and 7800 Arsenal fans were always going to make themselves heard on Friday, given that they're currently top of the league and giddy as fuck.

The North Stand expansion can't come quick enough for me. If, as rumoured, it's going to comprise a huge second tier then that should give us similar acoustics to what SS3 creates. An ideal scenario would be one where we actually have 2 main singing ends - SS3 and NS2. At least then for cup games, one whole singing end remains intact rather than have it decimated by the away allocation.

This is a video from around 42 mins on Friday. The game is still on. This is how busy the bar area is.

I don’t get why people pay hundreds (if not thousands) of £s per year on football tickets when they could watch it in the pub?

We need an unlike button, the vast majority are the age group that people are saying are most likely to be singers, it's so sad, more like a day on the beer interrupted for 90 min while 22 men chase a ball around.

Good to get a perspective from a fan who has been moved from SS3 to SS1. There's often a bit of friction on here between those in SS3 and SS1 and who is the noisiest when I think the truth is simply that both sections try to get things going in their own right but acoustics mean that it doesn't always travel. Despite being in SS1, I honestly think that SS3 is the best place in the ground to get an atmosphere going as it travels across the stadium easier. We've got loads of singers in SS1 but many of the songs start off from the back and because those fans are under the low overhang, it struggles to even travel across our block at times so you can often have 2 different songs going off at once if fans closer to the front have started a song off at the same time. Handing over the whole of SS3 (and SS2) to the away fans for cup games is criminal in that regard. It's a free hit for visiting fans to boss the atmosphere and 7800 Arsenal fans were always going to make themselves heard on Friday, given that they're currently top of the league and giddy as fuck.

The North Stand expansion can't come quick enough for me. If, as rumoured, it's going to comprise a huge second tier then that should give us similar acoustics to what SS3 creates. An ideal scenario would be one where we actually have 2 main singing ends - SS3 and NS2. At least then for cup games, one whole singing end remains intact rather than have it decimated by the away allocation.
As a SS3er who has been in SS1 due to cup games this season I'm not sold that our vocal support apart from the 1984 lot will move in any great numbers to the NS.

Cheap seats as such won't be a pull as we've already got them and the lack of winding up/interaction with the aways could mean many will stay where they are.

If there's enough of the lapse/can't afford to go now fans turn up and are in the right demographic group it'll be great but if City open it up to all, I can see it being filled with East/CB current S/C holders who just want a cheaper experience.

The problem with other parts of the ground joining in is that some parts of the stadium can't clearly hear SS1. There was a time on Friday where Arsenal had a song going and SS1 were seemingly just stood not reacting, but of course they can't hear what we can hear. Sadly, because the rest of the stadium is full of quieter fans, tourists, non-regulars and even away supporters (to be fair that's normal for most grounds), it's a lot more difficult for a song to get going.

I think we were on a hiding to nothing on Friday and just had to accept we weren't going to be as loud as them overall for quite a few reasons. Their fans were largely on a day or half-day trip whereas most of ours were probably straight from work. Half of them were probably regular away supporters - that is, the most vocal. They were given a concentrated area in the loudest part of the ground. They are generally giddy because they are playing well and now see us as their only obstacle to the title. Our support was diluted because lots of regulars in east and west stands don't go to cup games, they sit them out, largely because their seats are a lot more expensive than those in SS1 and skipping cups is a way to justify/afford the regular cost. And I was one of those until this season so I am not criticising, just stating fact, even those in the medium-cost seats have to budget sometimes.

That all said, we did out-sing them on some occasions so it wasn't as bad as some are making out.

still fans come out with the club at fault, the blame for a poor atmosphere is the fans, certainly not the pass pass football we play !! In our defence the stadium is split up by to many tiers to get fans to join in together, one tier or stand doesnt know what the other is doing. Kippax sing and Ss1 sing and it feels like a 3 second delay, very odd.

the club will make the north stand a good opportunity to create a singing end, if it fails it will be down to the fans not moving for whatever reason.

I am shocked at the above video where fans are packed in the bar lower SS, unbelievable, this is what has changed in football though. FA cup game, two top teams so lets buy at ticket and stand in the bar.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.