Etihad Atmosphere - 2022/23

That’s because we've always had away fans in-between our 2 singing sections and singing fans. If you look at other PL grounds most have their home ends and singing sections at the opposite end of the ground from the away end and away fans.(Liverpool, United, Spurs, Chelsea, Arsenal, Leeds, Newcastle, Villa, Everton, etc. It will take years to end our dependency on being close to the away fans to create an atmosphere, if and when the North stand becomes our home end and main singing section. I still think we’ll have singers near the away fans. What’s critical is that we do get singers moving to the expanded North stand, because if we don’t it will end up like the current NS, CBS and ES, quiet.
Well Leeds singing/rowdy stand is right next to the away fans, but a stand at the end of the ground with the away fans in the corner next to it, that has the best of both really.

Not that I think this is necessarily part of the problem given half the teams listed above tend to have a pretty poor atmosphere 90% of the time.

Well Leeds singing/rowdy stand is right next to the away fans, but a stand at the end of the ground with the away fans in the corner next to it, that has the best of both really.

Not that I think this is necessarily part of the problem given half the teams listed above tend to have a pretty poor atmosphere 90% of the time.

Leeds United‘s home end and main singing section is the North stand, which is at the other end of the ground. The South stand next to the away fans is also noisy. The away fans used to be in the SE blocks.

City need to do this with the away fans. Give them 109, 110, 111, the current SSL1 away end, 114, and if necessary 115. Shove them in the ES/SS/L1 corner.

1D9F4311-6191-4318-A00F-0DA7F05918B4.jpeg

Last edited:
Leeds United‘s home and main singing is the North stand, which is at the other end of the ground. The South stand next to the away fans is also noisy. The away fans used to be in the SE blocks.

City need to do this with the away fans. Give them 109, 110, 111, the current SSL1 away end, 114, and if necessary 115. Shove them in the ES/SS/L1 corner.

View attachment 67447
Newcastle had the right idea, shove the aways in the car park!

Newcastle had the right idea, shove the aways in the car park!

TBF, it’s a cracking view. :-)

When Yaya scored that goal and the camera panned on to the City fans in the gods, you could see me and other City fans going mental.

Sticking the away fans in the in SSL3 hasn’t worked. It gives them an elevated position to sing and chant. SSL3 should be full of City fans.

Leeds United‘s home end and main singing section is the North stand, which is at the other end of the ground. The South stand next to the away fans is also noisy. The away fans used to be in the SE blocks.

View attachment 67447
Ah fair enough I thought South Stand was their main one. I live in Leeds these days and always seem to be the stand people are trying to get in. North didn’t look particularly lively last season when I was in the away end but was hard to tell with it being other side to be fair.

I did go to a few games a few years back before they started doing well again but the whole place was quiet and half empty! How times have changed.

View attachment 67447
We were directly behind the goal when we played them in 2004, the corner is too small for the Prem 3k.

We need to give up 6 blocks if we are going lower tier.

When Yaya scored that goal and the camera panned on to the City fans in the gods, you could see me and other City fans going mental.

Sticking the away fans in the in SSL3 hasn’t worked. It gives them an elevated position to sing and chant. SSL3 should be full of City fans.
Agreed. Probably a daft question but how easy is it for the club to make that kind of change? I don’t know the mechanisms, or how long it’d take.

Ah fair enough I thought South Stand was their main one. I live in Leeds these days and always seem to be the stand people are trying to get in. North didn’t look particularly lively last season when I was in the away end but was hard to tell with it being other side to be fair.

I did go to a few games a few years back before they started doing well again but the whole place was quiet and half empty! How times have changed.
Historically Leeds main end was the North Stand AKA Geldard End back in the day it would have given the Anfield Kop or Stretford End a run for their money. In the 80s a lot of Leeds boys gravitated to the South Stand to intimidate visiting fans. It appears the South stand is now their rowdy singing section. Suspect older Leeds boys still take pride in being Geldard Enders. Similar happened at OT where their boys abandoned the Stretford End for K Stand. Even an element of our support left the Kippax for the North Stand.

You're right. Every season we play at St James' the atmosphere in that top tier is brilliant. The structure of the stadium however means that it doesn't dominate, unlike when we fill SSL3 with away fans at the Etihad. Which brings us back to the obvious solution of extending the North Stand and making it safe standing Home Fans only from top to bottom Then put away fans in the current SSL1. Simples.

The South Stand is also known as the singing end but they effectively have 2 with the North Stand Kop, as well.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.