Etihad Atmosphere - 2022/23

still fans come out with the club at fault, the blame for a poor atmosphere is the fans, certainly not the pass pass football we play !! In our defence the stadium is split up by to many tiers to get fans to join in together, one tier or stand doesnt know what the other is doing. Kippax sing and Ss1 sing and it feels like a 3 second delay, very odd.

the club will make the north stand a good opportunity to create a singing end, if it fails it will be down to the fans not moving for whatever reason.

I am shocked at the above video where fans are packed in the bar lower SS, unbelievable, this is what has changed in football though. FA cup game, two top teams so lets buy at ticket and stand in the bar.
The Club is at fault.
It’s everyone’s fault who isn’t in SSL1
It’s the bars fault
It’s the tourists’ fault
It’s the FA’s fault
It’s the architect’s fault
It’s the stewards’ fault
It’s the style of play
It’s the DJ’s fault
It’s Dzeko’s fault
Soriano and Putin are one and the same
Danny Wilson was a Junior Blue
City Matters to blame!!

Should this thread be renamed “Atmosphere Excuses”?

Last edited:
I'm not going to defend what's going on in that video. Indeed, you'd expect the fans to at least be watching the game while necking their pints (plus the service in that new bar area of the South Stand is so good that it's now possible to get served at half-time without leaving your seat early).

However, I will add that following City for many is way more than the football itself. It's an event. A day out. A social occasion where you can catch up with your mates over a few pints. Let's be honest - if it was only ever about the football, many of us would've sacked off watching City years ago when we were dogshit. Luckily, we had our gallows humour to get us through those bad times and some of the best days out I've ever had watching us is when we've been a joke on the pitch but we've had a great laugh off it. I'm off to Leipzig in a few weeks and like many fans, I'm not going all the way over there just for the football. Having said that, I'd be gutted if I didn't have a ticket to the match and had to make do with watching it in a bar. I guess I'm the kind of fan who likes to do it all - the day out, the piss up, watching the match, and joining in with the singing. The atmosphere topic is a big thing for me and I'm always keen to join in and start songs off. If I'm not doing my bit then I feel I'm letting the side down.

Whilst I agree with most of what you've said. I don't think a lot of the demographic in that video were at games when we were shit for the piss up.

With all the 'plastic' rags and dippers in my class a few beers at school may have made my life more bearable at the time though.

Last edited:
The Club is at fault.
It’s everyone’s fault who isn’t in SSL1
It’s the bars fault
It’s the tourists’ fault
It’s the FA’s fault
It’s the architect’s fault
It’s the stewards’ fault
It’s the style of play
It’s the DJ’s fault
Soriano and Putin are one and the same
Danny Wilson was a Junior Blue
City Matters to blame!!

Should this thread be renamed “Atmosphere Excuses”?

fantastic, loved the architects fault hahahaha

the recent post made me laugh how fans are hardly going to sing when we are passing the ball in our own half !

Gold. Hahaha.

Depends what angle you're looking at it from. Soriano probably effects my life more than Vladimir. Perhaps it's a case of better the devil you know?
I’m not sure if Vicky Kloss and Michelle Mone have ever been seen in the same room together!

I'm not going to defend what's going on in that video. Indeed, you'd expect the fans to at least be watching the game while necking their pints (plus the service in that new bar area of the South Stand is so good that it's now possible to get served at half-time without leaving your seat early).

However, I will add that following City for many is way more than the football itself. It's an event. A day out. A social occasion where you can catch up with your mates over a few pints. Let's be honest - if it was only ever about the football, many of us would've sacked off watching City years ago when we were dogshit. Luckily, we had our gallows humour to get us through those bad times and some of the best days out I've ever had watching us is when we've been a joke on the pitch but we've had a great laugh off it. I'm off to Leipzig in a few weeks and like many fans, I'm not going all the way over there just for the football. Having said that, I'd be gutted if I didn't have a ticket to the match and had to make do with watching it in a bar. I guess I'm the kind of fan who likes to do it all - the day out, the piss up, watching the match, and joining in with the singing. The atmosphere topic is a big thing for me and I'm always keen to join in and start songs off. If I'm not doing my bit then I feel I'm letting the side down.
To be fair, mate, I'd love to see someone telling you that you're not doing your bit! :')

You would probably contribute more to the atmosphere from the bar than most fans would whilst sitting in their seat making an effort!

I’m not sure if Vicky Kloss and Michelle Mone have ever been seen in the same room together!
Don't be raising Soriano's awareness on Michelle Mone mate. He'll be kitting out all of the SS1 in City branded PPE for the cup games.

Reactions: jrb
We've all seen European ultras walking to the stadium. It can be quite an impressive sight. Unfortunately, the club is trying to spin too many plates. They want a better atmosphere, but they also want to appeal to kids/families (for the record when I was a kid I'd have still hated this) and they end up with utter cringefest material like this 'organised walk to the ground'.

We need to change the mentality of the 90% of fans who can't be arsed contributing to the atmosphere. The Etihad is too friendly and nice. There should be a bit of an edge about going to a game. Football is intrinsically tribal and we should want to be a noisy, intimidating venue for any opposing fans/players. That doesn't mean we should all dress up as green street idiots, but come on, this is embarrassing. Imagine these lot trying to walk down the street outside Maine Road?

The club tries to control the atmosphere too much, which sets a certain psychology around the stadium (lazy, apathetic, reactive approach to building atmosphere).

- Light shows
- City Square 'entertainment'
- West Reception 'entertainment' as players arrive
- Bands/DJs in the stadium
- Noisy, chart music played at a deafening volume over the PA system
- LED flags on advertisement boards

It's all too much! Cut out all the cheese, literally replace all the above with nothing, and fans will start to build an atmosphere themselves. It might take a while but it will happen. At both Leeds away and United away, there was no 'pre-match entertainment', no music on in the stadium, and so on. It creates an environment where fans CAN build an atmosphere rather than having a cheesy one shoved down our throats and destroying any potential do it organically!

We've all seen European ultras walking to the stadium. It can be quite an impressive sight. Unfortunately, the club is trying to spin too many plates. They want a better atmosphere, but they also want to appeal to kids/families (for the record when I was a kid I'd have still hated this) and they end up with utter cringefest material like this 'organised walk to the ground'.

Is that not just a busker that sits in the bus stop?..

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.