Etihad Atmosphere - 2022/23

Bpool accent less thick than most lancy accent similarly Manc accent different from Oldham. In Fleetwood we have a more guttural accent than Blackpool. Preston 20 miles away is much more an East lancs accent. To a FOC like me Manchester and Liverpool remain very much part of Lancashire. You were very unlucky to have nearly been stabbed seasiders usually fight with fists rather than knives.
They were outside a chippy...little mob of them. There was only a few of us. They sussed us fairly fast.

All I saw was shiny what looked like flick knives or stilletto lock knives .

Me and another lad legged it through a B and B...much to their surprise ha

Straight through and out into an alley......those were the days.

League Cup 1978 think it was a draw and a replay at Maine Road.

Bpool accent less thick than most lancy accent similarly Manc accent different from Oldham. In Fleetwood we have a more guttural accent than Blackpool. Preston 20 miles away is much more an East lancs accent. To a FOC like me Manchester and Liverpool remain very much part of Lancashire. You were very unlucky to have nearly been stabbed seasiders usually fight with fists rather than knives.
Fleetwood is strange, it's hard to meet a proper born & bread Fleetwood person. I've been in one taxi while here and he was from Ashton & lived on the next street to where I'd grown up.

Most around where I am and when I'm in the centre are ex-North Manc or ex-Mid Lancs. It was quite a shock originally when I'd be chatting to people and they'd lived within a mile or two of where I'd come from.

Fleetwood is strange, it's hard to meet a proper born & bread Fleetwood person. I've been in one taxi while here and he was from Ashton & lived on the next street to where I'd grown up.

Most around where I am and when I'm in the centre are ex-North Manc or ex-Mid Lancs. It was quite a shock originally when I'd be chatting to people and they'd lived within a mile or two of where I'd come from.
When we played Bpool in the FA cup in the early eighties we were non league at the time, it was said it was the first time a lot of men had been past Broadwater in their lives. As so many lads went to sea they would spend their leaves at home. Got dicked that day but Alan Ball was given the run around and he didn't like it at all. Town always split between nited and dippers, though I'm City and my mate is Everton.

Blackpool is a funny place......(I nearly got stabbed there at a City away a LONG time ago)
Their accent seems more Manc than Lanc

I’ve always thought this a bit odd. If you travel in a more or less straight line from Manchester, you soon get to places like Bolton and Wigan with their ridiculous accents. Then Chorley, which is a bit silly but not too bad. But by the time you get to Preston and particularly Blackpool, it’s more or less back to Mancunian. Strange.

They were outside a chippy...little mob of them. There was only a few of us. They sussed us fairly fast.

All I saw was shiny what looked like flick knives or stilletto lock knives .

Me and another lad legged it through a B and B...much to their surprise ha

Straight through and out into an alley......those were the days.

League Cup 1978 think it was a draw and a replay at Maine Road.
I met them too

This is a video from around 42 mins on Friday. The game is still on. This is how busy the bar area is.

I don’t get why people pay hundreds (if not thousands) of £s per year on football tickets when they could watch it in the pub?

Wow. No wonder you find it hard to get the whole singing section singing mate. A few thousand people don’t even seem arsed that we’re playing there.

Not read all the pages added since Friday night because im meant to be working but I was moved from SS3 to SS1 against Arsenal (same against Chelsea but i couldnt go so young Gaz did instead)

SS1 was loud all night but whilst you're in it you've no clue if anyone else is joining in, Arsenal fans sounded muffled aswell but were obviously loud so I can see why when were loud in SS3 it doesnt travel well to level 1 singers, not making an excuse but obviously stadium acoustics arent helping us get a good atmosphere. The only solution ive got is for other parts of the ground to join in more than they do already but thats going to take a huge effort and a decent amount of time, it certainly wont happen anytime soon with people willing to create an atmosphere (completely generalising here) priced out of the Colin Bell and East Stand.

The club have got a massive chance to sort things out when expanding the North Stand but it remains to be seen whether they're in the least nit arsed
Good post. Club have got to get on to this properly. It’s not just a massive chance, it’s arguably our last chance at this stadium.

The only other thing we can do if they just make the North Stand like the South Stand have have corporate sections and three tiers, is to make the whole of ESL1 our new Kippax standing and singing area.
Deep down that’s what I’ve always wanted. I sit in ESL1, love the view, always wanted safe standing where I am, always wanted the vocal area to be where I am… none of this behind the goal shit! But if they do get the North Stand right, I will move there.

We've all seen European ultras walking to the stadium. It can be quite an impressive sight. Unfortunately, the club is trying to spin too many plates. They want a better atmosphere, but they also want to appeal to kids/families (for the record when I was a kid I'd have still hated this) and they end up with utter cringefest material like this 'organised walk to the ground'.

We need to change the mentality of the 90% of fans who can't be arsed contributing to the atmosphere. The Etihad is too friendly and nice. There should be a bit of an edge about going to a game. Football is intrinsically tribal and we should want to be a noisy, intimidating venue for any opposing fans/players. That doesn't mean we should all dress up as green street idiots, but come on, this is embarrassing. Imagine these lot trying to walk down the street outside Maine Road?

The club tries to control the atmosphere too much, which sets a certain psychology around the stadium (lazy, apathetic, reactive approach to building atmosphere).

- Light shows
- City Square 'entertainment'
- West Reception 'entertainment' as players arrive
- Bands/DJs in the stadium
- Noisy, chart music played at a deafening volume over the PA system
- LED flags on advertisement boards

It's all too much! Cut out all the cheese, literally replace all the above with nothing, and fans will start to build an atmosphere themselves. It might take a while but it will happen. At both Leeds away and United away, there was no 'pre-match entertainment', no music on in the stadium, and so on. It creates an environment where fans CAN build an atmosphere rather than having a cheesy one shoved down our throats and destroying any potential do it organically!

Fantastic post. Spot on!

The Etihad is too friendly and nice. It also feels like the entire ‘matchday experience’ is aimed at the smallest demographic in the stadium - kids. Over the entire attendance, there’s hardly any kids there (my estimation is about 5-7% of the crowd are kids) yet everything seems geared at them.

To grown-ups, who’ve been up and down the country and all over Europe seeing and being impressed with the intimidation that you get from other places (grown-up football grounds for grown-ups) seeing the Etihad - which is about 95-97% grown-ups - in comparison is utterly cringeworthy childish shite.

Everything other than the game on the grass feels like we are Alton Towers FC. When I was a kid in the ’80s and ’90s I didn’t need any razzmatazz bollocks, I was perfectly hooked and obsessed with City and loved going to games with what you describe Elland Road and Old Trafford still being like.

Kids are allowed in pubs but not everything in the pub is aimed at kids because it’s mainly a place for adults. Just like at the football. Football games are adult men’s football mainly being watched by adult men, we are by far the biggest demographic in the stadium yet it feels like absolutely nothing apart from the game on the grass is aimed at us.

Kill the cheese and make everything more mature.

The club itself should have nothing to do with any flags, banners, displays, pre-game building of atmosphere etc. It should all only come from the fans. None of those blokes with an ear piece walking up the East Stand telling people when to wave flags with the players’ names on when their names are read out when teams are announced. No banners that have club sponsors on. No staged smoke coming from pitchside. No bands doing fan walks to the stadium. And no bloody light shows!

Everything they do is all in good nature but it’s all too manufactured!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.