Etihad Atmosphere - 2022/23

I come in peace too Eric, I’m only aggy with those who needlessly denigrate other blues

When I leave all depends on the scoreline, generally between 87 and one min into injury time if we have at least a two goal cushion. If there’s only a goal in it or it’s level I’ll stay to within 30 secs of the end. If it’s a big game I’ll stay to the end and clap them off. The only time I feel slightly guilty about leaving is as part of a mass exodus when for example we’re trying to claw back a one goal deficit and we concede a late 2nd on the counter attack.

The only big incident I can remember missing was getting the pen that Mario scored to beat Spurs 3-2 in the first PL title season. Heard the cheer for the awarding of it as I got to the bottom of the ramp and luckily had time to get to a vantage point on level 1 before he took the kick so I got away with that one.

Don't think you're what most people on here are referring to as an early leaver pal. Especially if the game is done and dusted.

It's those arriving late, 30 minute pint, arriving late for the second half and leaving on 80 or so and with the game in the balance.

why is it attention seeking people leaving 10 minutes every game of course has an effect on the atmosphere so this is the right thread to have the discussion. Nobody would be bothered if it was some people leaving but it’s literally more than half of the stadium a lot of the time. People do get the right to do have the please just like we have the right to have an opinion about it.
I usually join in with the away fans and start singing ‘is there a fire drill?’ at our own early leavers. If it’s a Saturday in the Winter I usually throw in something about getting home for Strictly Come Dancing, if it’s a Sunday I usually throw something in about getting home for Countryfile, and things along the lines of being ‘under the thumb’.

Some know I’m only [half!]joking look at me and laugh along as they see the funny side. Every now and again you get the odd tosser who takes it seriously and starts with the ‘you fucking knob, think you’re a bigger fan do you, I’ve been coming since the 70s’ blah blah blah.

I once chanted ‘part time supporters’ at them as about three hundred all got up at once and did one around my block and were queued up down the steps to get out in peoples’ way who were still watching the game and that didn’t go down well with a number of them, haha. Fuck em though, they were in peoples’ way, they can get all the abuse they deserve.

It’s only the same with the lads who always turn up late and we take the piss out of them ‘oh they’ve shut the bar have they so you can grace us with your presence now eh?!’ and ‘oh here he is, siddown you, the match started eight minutes ago!’. And everyone around laughs including the late comers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was asked - quite politely, but firmly - to cut out the effing and jeffing by some first-timer at 60 minutes at the weekend. Didn’t know whether to tell him and his lad to sit in the Family Stand if he didn’t want to hear bad language, or to give him credit for standing up for what he believed in. Either way, it shut me up. For the rest of the game.

While I should have been punching the air and letting rip at Bernie’s lovely finish that made the game safer, I was pondering the following:
  • Was I an arsehole for swearing in the earshot of kids?
  • Was he an arsehole for putting his lad in that kind of environment and then complaining about it?
  • Was he brave and principled?
  • Did he act like a coward, and only have a word after sizing me up as one unlikely to respond badly? and finally
  • Should I relocate?
Atmosphere worse for me. Better for apparent first-timer. My rights don’t trump his just because I’ve got a season card and he doesn’t. But the Pablo Zabaleta song’s a non-starter for him, it seems. And he probably won’t like “we are Man City and we’re on the piss again” or “spent all my money on drugs and City”, come to that.
I would've told him to fuck off

As usual I agree with most of what you say Jazz. As Psychedelic Casual alluded to it doesn't matter what time or day the kick off is there's still large numbers doing it though. I do think there is a complacency that has set in within the fan base and some now purely just go out of routine. If you aren't watching a third or so of the game it has to be an indication that you're rather indifferent as to what's happening on the pitch.

Our support over the years has been superb and once upon a time we were most people's second favourite team because of it. We can't keep harping on about those days though and giving ourselves a free pass. Our recent success has placed us under the microscope more than ever before and it's hard to argue with some of the criticism that's been directed our way. We all know a lot of it is bullshit but thousands of empty seats before the full time whistle is there for all to see.
“My away fans, they are amazing…they push push push us all the way. My home, sometimes yes, sometimes oh we have to get back for traffic, M60 is bad,we are busy...I know. But we fight to the end! For this badge, for our peeple…we feel your love every minute. But sometimes you must show…today, we did not always show…’ Mate, I can just hear him say it!

“My away fans, they are amazing…they push push push us all the way. My home, sometimes yes, sometimes oh we have to get back for traffic, M60 is bad,we are busy...I know. But we fight to the end! For this badge, for our peeple…we feel your love every minute. But sometimes you must show…today, we did not always show…’ Mate, I can just hear him say it!

I love Pep's passion and how he's fighting that complacency. Probably the reason he's only stayed in his previous jobs a few years due to his intensity.

There are many ups and downs during a season of course but if we lose the title by a point or two I will think of the Everton game. Loads leaving in the 80th with over 10 mins stoppage time to be added on at the end. 20 fucking minutes! That doesn't include the late arrivers and those missing from minute 30-50/55 for their half time pint. Regardless of what the players did throughout the season did we play our part as a collective? Not on that day we didn't. No chance!

Last edited:
I find it funny that every single away game we are by far the loudest yet for some reason the fact the away fans are sometimes louder than us we get so sensitive
Tbf our away fans are one of the best in the country yet we get outsung by some of the worst when we are at home

You won’t get any tourists or day trippers at Palace away at 5:30pm on a Saturday night.

That’s why Soriano & Co should be mindful of ignoring our bread and butter support, and instead prioritising day trippers and tourists at the Etihad.

The acid test will come in 3 years time when the North stand is expanded and it and the other parts of the Etihad have to be filled with City fans.

Loyalty is great but there are far too many leaving too soon. I never remembered it this bad at Maine Road or the first few years at the City of Manchester Stadium... so what's changed? Why don't people wait to the whistle?
Trying to get more fans in means fans from miles away. Maine Road games mostly 3.00 pm till 4.45 ish 1 or 2 mins added. Everyone new sat pm finish, pie 'city chippy' and pint b4 football special bac up town. Swifty in the castle for me b4 80 bus to Moston ..routine when stopped playing myself. Dont get this now. Takes social element and fun out of it

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.