Etihad Atmosphere - 2022/23

Probably the best example of the season of us sabotaging our own atmosphere. There must be a few hundred south stand fans with hands swollen like balloons tonight. As I posted at half time, I guessed this would come when I heard the new “we’re the boys in blue” chant taking off at Fulham. Within a minute or two of the kick off the singing areas just clapped along to that one repeatedly , interspersed with the odd Follow Follow and Follow You everywhere. There was no, Blue Moon, no Best Team in the Land, no anthems . Nothing but a muffled wall of incessant clapping which just lead to the rest of the ground lapsing into silence.

Second half was better and on the few occasions an anthem was sung it spread around.

We are killing our own atmosphere with these clappy concourse songs at home games and they will kill the Wembley atmosphere too if we keep doing it there. The rest of the crowd are up for singing but in my opinion we should keep these songs for away matches, concourses or occasionally at home , not when the team needs lifting.
Generally agree with your posts Dave but criticising people who sing isn’t the issue, it’s the fuckers who don’t sing that need a kick up the arsenal

Probably the best example of the season of us sabotaging our own atmosphere. There must be a few hundred south stand fans with hands swollen like balloons tonight. As I posted at half time, I guessed this would come when I heard the new “we’re the boys in blue” chant taking off at Fulham. Within a minute or two of the kick off the singing areas just clapped along to that one repeatedly , interspersed with the odd Follow Follow and Follow You everywhere. There was no, Blue Moon, no Best Team in the Land, no anthems . Nothing but a muffled wall of incessant clapping which just lead to the rest of the ground lapsing into silence.

Second half was better and on the few occasions an anthem was sung it spread around.

We are killing our own atmosphere with these clappy concourse songs at home games and they will kill the Wembley atmosphere too if we keep doing it there. The rest of the crowd are up for singing but in my opinion we should keep these songs for away matches, concourses or occasionally at home , not when the team needs lifting.
People want new songs though. Songs they see on social media and want to join in with.

That'll never happen if we're only allowed to sing the old school stuff.

By the way, the atmosphere in ESL1 was dire tonight. Must've been about 10 people in my block that were willing to sing or get involved.

I saw Pep trying to get the fans going in CBL1 in the 2nd half. He was looking at them, waving his arms in the air, trying to get them going. Some of them tried, but others just sat there motionless.

I don’t know what the issue is with the stadium being near empty for Haaland bumps, no one knew it was happening and it was 10.05pm. Some like me will have been up since 6am, won’t get home until midnight and back up at 6am for work, I’m sure Haaland is not arsed about that.

I thought the atmosphere was fine tonight but you know what the biggest atmosphere killer is?

The fucking PA announcer, he’s making a mockery of us with his fucking cheese week in week out, season in season out. Cannot stand the bloke and I’ve seen videos on Instagram of him doing it and jumping around beaming like he’s done something special.
Sorry what were they supposed to do, give him the guard of honour on 80 minutes when the game was still going and some of the early leavers hadn’t left yet?

The guard of honour was something I’d expect to see in the Bundesliga: manufactured bollocks. Guards of honour are (rightly) reserved for teams / people that win things. If/ when Erling picks up a trophy , then we can have all the tunnel shite we had tonight. Reminded me of when Klopp made Liverpool do that bowing / holding hands shite he’d been used to doing at Dortmund. They’d got a last minute equaliser at home to Bournemouth; Milner standing perplexed wondering why they were doing it. Same for me tonight. I’ll cheer him if / when we win something. And I also hate the fact the pre premier league records seem to be totally forgotten. If he’d beaten Dixie Dean’s record, fair fucks. He’s only just over half way. Embarrassing.
It wasn't a guard of honour, a guard of honour is when the opposition line up for you, that was his team mates celebrating with him.

I agree and have done for a while now. We have got to try and get the city classics back as that’s when the majority of fans join in.

The Arsenal game was a good example of that - there was a proper mix of songs and the family stand actually started quite a few of the stadium wide chants - pretty much all the classics as well.

Hopefully if we get a proper home end they will come back with fans less bothered about ‘bantering the away fans

Sorry what were they supposed to do, give him the guard of honour on 80 minutes when the game was still going and some of the early leavers hadn’t left yet?

I’m an early leaver, I left on 91 minutes, I couldn’t give a fuck if I missed it or didn’t show appreciation to him as some kind of initiation as a “Top blue”

Im sick to death of fans having a go at fans. We get enough shit as it is without our own lot jumping on every single thing that twitter will jump on for quick tribal likes.

Everyone pays good money to be there and dedicates time to make an effort to go, if people want to leave on 85 minutes then so fucking what.

Songs move on, just like fans. The younger lads don’t want to sing the old songs. They want to sing the new songs. Go on social media and you will see loads of Videos of the new songs, especially away on the concourses.

If the 800 younger fans would have retained their tickets for Brentford away, most of the songs would have been the new songs.

Yeah my hands are. I love clapping along to chants, like thousands of others do in SSL1.

You’re re boring us to death Dave. You’ve spent all season going on about fucking clapping songs. Give it a rest! Or at least until next season.

The same clapping songs will happen against Leeds. Chelsea and Real Madrid. Get over them and move on. Do yourself and us a favour.

CLAP, CLAP, FUCKING, CLAP!
Shouldn’t you be busy scouring the papers and going pink right now?

You are banging your head against the wall with this one Dave. You are right but it’s falling on deaf ears. The best song that got everyone involved was Stand up for the Chanpions. Everyone knows the words, everyone knows to stand up. The whole crowd sing it. It is noisy and visual. It took until around the 70th minute for that one to make an appearance.
I know but I’m going to keep on pointing it out when it happens.

We’d finally gone 1-0 up, there was a buzz around the stadium and we instantly got a five minute version of that new song. It killed the moment completely.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.