Etihad Atmosphere - 2022/23

- trying to use songs with a beat that we can keep going for longer (I know it gets pelted on here, but the Edin Dzeko song actually does this quite well).
- bunching 10/15 lads at the back of SSL1 to start off songs (this is similar to a capo, but a different way of doing it).
- we've trialed an installation of metal sheeting on some rows in SSL1 that supporters can stamp on to make a bang. With a few tweaks, this will improve and turn into our equivalent of a drum and help us keep chants on the beat and spread around the ground (without having a person stand at the front whacking a drum).

Ultimately though, the reason these discussions always come up (and that we have this thread) is that the vast, vast majority of fans that go to the Etihad contribute absolutely nothing to the atmosphere. I've sat in CBL3 a couple of times this season and you can clearly hear the South Stand, but no-one joins in (other than me, singing like a goon on my own).
Your "beat" songs like Edin Ezeko (and Empty Seats, Bernado and Singing the Blues) get the south stand singing but will never get the rest of the ground singing. The only ones that do that are classic anthems and they are mostly started in the top tier of the south stand.

Not knocking what you do, I support you in every way, but an atmosphere is not 400 people clapping along to the Zabaleta song for 5 minutes, it is the whole ground singing, and they only do it at certain moments and for certain songs: Blue Moon, Come On City, Hark Now Hear, Hey Jude, The Best Team in the Land, We are not Really Here are the ones that spring to mind for me.

Would stop going if some knob on a tannoy was screaming all game telling me when and what to sing
And the circle is complete (not a dig at you).

We'll never get any sort of major improvement as there's so many differing opinions just on here.

• Too many songs not liked by fans who don't sing them (Dzeko....similar to You thought you'd won the league from a couple of years earlier). Both these songs relate to our modern history and should be embraced.
  • Too many words in songs....too hard to learn!!!!
  • Fans in areas where even if they wanted to make some noise it'd be too difficult on there own and would be drowned out by tutting and won't or can't move.
  • Get some flags/put those flags down.
  • I can sit/stand where I want so even in a singing area I'll do what I want.
We've all seen at times the ground can rock but, ultimately 80% of the ground generally are happy to sit and watch like a cinema. That's not going to change and likely get worse as 'real/passionate' fans get priced out, pissed off with transport . matchday experience etc.
I could go on but there's not much point really, I'm in 315 halfway up and do my bit. I'd like to think even if inside the ground and a bit pissed/loud/sweary at times that I annoy nobody.

Your "beat" songs like Edin Ezeko (and Empty Seats, Bernado and Singing the Blues) get the south stand singing but will never get the rest of the ground singing. The only ones that do that are classic anthems and they are mostly started in the top tier of the south stand.

Not knocking what you do, I support you in every way, but an atmosphere is not 400 people clapping along to the Zabaleta song for 5 minutes, it is the whole ground singing, and they only do it at certain moments and for certain songs: Blue Moon, Come On City, Hark Now Hear, Hey Jude, The Best Team in the Land, We are not Really Here are the ones that spring to mind for me.
Agreed.

We do try to start off those songs and get the whole ground going too. I think the challenge in our mind is if we can turn the 400 singers in SSL1 into 2,500 singers in SSL1, those longer chants will have more of an effect on the overall atmosphere. They'll also spread around the stadium. Turning 2k occasional singers into frequent singers is a much more attainable goal than turning 35k fans who never sing into occasional singers.

To be honest, I think our atmosphere is generally good (especially for the big games). I've been to most premier league grounds and we're far from the worst. I don't think we're so desperate we need to use a drum to improve things. Ultimately we just need more fans to step up and make a noise, it's that simple.

Agreed.

We do try to start off those songs and get the whole ground going too. I think the challenge in our mind is if we can turn the 400 singers in SSL1 into 2,500 singers in SSL1, those longer chants will have more of an effect on the overall atmosphere. They'll also spread around the stadium. Turning 2k occasional singers into frequent singers is a much more attainable goal than turning 35k fans who never sing into occasional singers.

To be honest, I think our atmosphere is generally good (especially for the big games). I've been to most premier league grounds and we're far from the worst. I don't think we're so desperate we need to use a drum to improve things. Ultimately we just need more fans to step up and make a noise, it's that simple.

I think it really is.

I respect the bouncing around of ideas to raise the atmosphere but those who have mentioned that there are simply too few singers these days have already nailed the crux the problem. Why, then, would a different construction of the North Stand, a capo or drum-style initiative etc, make enough difference to those folk who are already indifferent?
It is a bloody shame, and more so for those who enjoy singing to be trapped in non-singing areas of the ground, and it could be so good with a little effort from many more - Hey Jude before the Villa game was just superb, and I was in the middle of the North Stand(!), the initiative aided that day, I suppose, by the pre-match tannoy.
But, especially with regard to stadium lay-out, if away fans from prem teams and euro teams (with or without drum) can make a lot of noise with a 3000, or less, allocation, then we should be able to do something pretty good with the 50-odd thou, which we occasionally do quite spectacularly.

At this rate we'll never get the atmosphere going the team deserves.I cant help think as a fanbase we'll look back with some regret or maybe we won't. This could be our best ever team and players like Haaland and KDB only comes round once in a lifetime. Let’s leave the early leaving nonsense and quiet games to when we're mid table/looking for the 40 point mark again.

Last edited:
Can anyone who was there hazard a guess at the average age of City fans last night ? I attend the occasional home CL game and the away fans look to be mostly young men in their 20s whereas our away support in CL games looks to be a much older group.

When I was in my 20s I couldn’t have afforded Euro awaydays, do European clubs massively subsidise travel for their fans ?

What you have JRB that not enough fans have is the willingness to change, you analyse the atmosphere and think "if the changes we have to make work then its better than stood there hands in pockets".

Fact is majority of the fans who criticize a drum or capo or a song that doesnt relate to the game dont sing or stand in the popular singing areas. So ok this is their opinion, but it isnt helping the situation at all.

We need to try to be in touch with like minded fans that want to sing, but BM isnt particularly high volume people that are singers, it is fans that suggest.

When we played Copenhagen at home, three fans behind me started from the first minute shouting "can u not sing without a drum" or "this repeated singing is giving me headache". But they didnt sing once ! And this was 115 / 116 areas.

Far to often we criticise the European away fans for how they generate atmosphere and drown our support out, about time we took a different approach.
Well said, Trevor Riley,

"What you have JRB that not enough fans have is the willingness to change, you analyse the atmosphere and think "if the changes we have to make work then it's better than standing their hands in their pockets".

The fact is the majority of the fans who criticize a drum or capo or a song that doesn't relate to the game don't sing or stand in the popular singing areas. So ok this is their opinion, but it isn't helping the situation at all.

We need to try to be in touch with like-minded fans that want to sing, but BM isn't particularly high-volume people that are singers, it is fans that suggest."

The easiest solution to this is to set up a supporter's organisation that works with the club and you need to join this supporter's organisation to get into the new north stand, this keeps all the people who want to sing and make noise in the one section, it happens with Celtic with Green Brigade. As a fan of city, I never saw so much hostility about trying to improve the atmosphere in the ground, even our chairman has come out and said that he wants a blue wall at the end of the ground. I could post as many youtube videos showing how a yellow wall at one end of the ground improves the atmosphere only to be shouted down just have a look at small clubs in other nations and how they have copied ultra sections with Yellow Wall sections to see how it benefits the atmosphere.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.