Etihad Atmosphere - 2022/23

I respect the bouncing around of ideas to raise the atmosphere but those who have mentioned that there are simply too few singers these days have already nailed the crux the problem. Why, then, would a different construction of the North Stand, a capo or drum-style initiative etc, make enough difference to those folk who are already indifferent?
It is a bloody shame, and more so for those who enjoy singing to be trapped in non-singing areas of the ground, and it could be so good with a little effort from many more - Hey Jude before the Villa game was just superb, and I was in the middle of the North Stand(!), the initiative aided that day, I suppose, by the pre-match tannoy.
But, especially with regard to stadium lay-out, if away fans from prem teams and euro teams (with or without drum) can make a lot of noise with a 3000, or less, allocation, then we should be able to do something pretty good with the 50-odd thou, which we occasionally do quite spectacularly.
Lol right. All the feedback is basically "I would simply build a new stand, and simply fill it with 10k singers, problem solved".

Once terracing went things changed forever in this country...until that comes back it will stay the same. Standing terraces are never coming back.

Pricing out most potential singers has also had an effect. Loads have stopped going due to costs and we need them replaced with young lads/lasses who want to sing and shout etc. Those new younger lot need cheap standing areas, preferably where they can group together with their mates not be spread around.

It's so difficult to sort out as it is now. Impossible probably under current legislation and attitudes.

109 to 112 is very good I think as is SSL1 but its inconsistent and split......great for abuse to away fans but not good as they are not together in unison.

Well said, Trevor Riley,

"What you have JRB that not enough fans have is the willingness to change, you analyse the atmosphere and think "if the changes we have to make work then it's better than standing their hands in their pockets".

The fact is the majority of the fans who criticize a drum or capo or a song that doesn't relate to the game don't sing or stand in the popular singing areas. So ok this is their opinion, but it isn't helping the situation at all.

We need to try to be in touch with like-minded fans that want to sing, but BM isn't particularly high-volume people that are singers, it is fans that suggest."

The easiest solution to this is to set up a supporter's organisation that works with the club and you need to join this supporter's organisation to get into the new north stand, this keeps all the people who want to sing and make noise in the one section, it happens with Celtic with Green Brigade. As a fan of city, I never saw so much hostility about trying to improve the atmosphere in the ground, even our chairman has come out and said that he wants a blue wall at the end of the ground. I could post as many youtube videos showing how a yellow wall at one end of the ground improves the atmosphere only to be shouted down just have a look at small clubs in other nations and how they have copied ultra sections with Yellow Wall sections to see how it benefits the atmosphere.

thanks for that, you have a good idea as to what works. Like you say we can watch as many yellow wall videos and so on, but get shouted down or the wall criticized or the fact our base wont change.

During the season myself and other guys speak to the club once every week, often more if there are two games in one week. We have meetings every 3 months ( got fooked up over covid ), we are in regular contact over email. The club knows exactly what we want should the north stand expansion go ahead. Between us we also come up with ideas for fans to join that end ( north stand ) when it does. Rest is fan participation, as much as we presume singers will jump at the chance and we have a waiting list, a huge amount of fans hold back and wont move over. Therefore tickets end up sold to non singers / match day passes. You would think 4,000 singers in the new north stand shouldnt be a problem, lets see. Keep fingers crossed haha.

And the circle is complete (not a dig at you).

We'll never get any sort of major improvement as there's so many differing opinions just on here.

• Too many songs not liked by fans who don't sing them (Dzeko....similar to You thought you'd won the league from a couple of years earlier). Both these songs relate to our modern history and should be embraced.
  • Too many words in songs....too hard to learn!!!!
  • Fans in areas where even if they wanted to make some noise it'd be too difficult on there own and would be drowned out by tutting and won't or can't move.
  • Get some flags/put those flags down.
  • I can sit/stand where I want so even in a singing area I'll do what I want.
We've all seen at times the ground can rock but, ultimately 80% of the ground generally are happy to sit and watch like a cinema. That's not going to change and likely get worse as 'real/passionate' fans get priced out, pissed off with transport . matchday experience etc.
I could go on but there's not much point really, I'm in 315 halfway up and do my bit. I'd like to think even if inside the ground and a bit pissed/loud/sweary at times that I annoy nobody.

please change seat to 115, you sound like you want to belt songs out haha

Lower the prices....expand the stadium.....have a huge single standing area....

Job done
Not sure lower prices will make people stay to the end and expanding the stadium now will look even worse than it does now at full time. Agree about standing area though, that would help a lot but thanks to the dippers that’s never going to happen.

It seems everyone can agree the atmosphere could be better.

But we don't want anything introduced that might improve it.

Because we are too cool.

Not sure lower prices will make people stay to the end and expanding the stadium now will look even worse than it does now at full time. Agree about standing area though, that would help a lot but thanks to the dippers that’s never going to happen.
You can't have everything you want mate.....some things will simply never ever change especially with the road closures etc after the game. Maine Road was quite easy to get away from but people left there early too to avoid car park jams etc..

Last edited:
It seems everyone can agree the atmosphere could be better.

But we don't want anything introduced that might improve it.

Because we are too cool.
Have you asked everyone?

Not all older fans want what younger fans want. A lot do though. I'm old now but can still balloon about and shout.

You need to get a wall of younger fans like in the 70's when the Kippax was rammed with young blues all standing where they wanted and with their own mobs.

No drums, no loud hailers ,etc back then...just foghorns/airhorns and mad young fuckers.

The old ones stayed in the Main Stand and those who didnt want to get involved as much in the old platt lane or north stand. (1970's)

Last edited:
Have you asked everyone?

Not all older fans want what younger fans want. A lot do though. I'm old now but can still balloon about and shout.

You need to get a wall of younger fans like in the 70's when the Kippax was rammed with young blues all standing where they wanted and with their own mobs.

No drums, no loud hailers ,etc back then...just foghorns and mad young fuckers.

The old ones stayed in the Main Stand and those who didnt want to get involved as much in the old platt lane or north stand. (1970's)

It would be tough to ask everyone -;)

I am going on the concensus on here, people do not want radical change, some are posting they would rather give up their ticket if certain things happened.
I still come home hoarse in my sixties.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.