Etihad atmosphere

I did London to Manchester (and back again) for ten years so understand the problems exiles have. I had a Seasoncard throughout to ensure I didn't have to worry about tickets.

Last night was very poor. Chatter everywhere and I must have heard about three songs whilst sat in 211. We just need one popular area for vocal supporters to congregate it. I go to Wales and we all use the Canton at Cardiff. Great fun when it's rocking.

Watford at home a week before Christmas, a cold Wednesday night. It's what you'd expect.

Sunday needs to be good.

I have just missed the last four home games due to illness, and Arsenal will be my fifth .... Will I need a doctor's note?

What for being an arse? Probably.

I am talking about people who persistently don't turn up for weeks, season after season.

I'm not sure that its right to punish fans who dont turn up to midweek games (which is when most of the no shows occur). There used to be a bloke sat next to me who made a 400 mile round trip to watch City. He missed most midweek games. Of course he was there for the really big games eg City v United in 11/12. But that involved taking two half days off work and kipping on a mate's sofa. He was happy to buy his season card knowing he would miss more than a few games.

Missing a few games is fine by me. More than a few? Depends what that means. If it means going 5 times a year, I don't think that is fine personally. Especially not when there's a waiting list for season tickets.

There seems to be a general level of apathy in the fan base in general nowadays, me included. I'm not sure why it has happened or if we are worse than everyone else but it seems the enjoyment of going to the game has been sucked out of people. I think a lot go out of habit now. Maybe that's why some people only turn up to 10/11 games a season when it suits them. Football used to be an escape for the working class man to let his hair down after a long week at work. Now its a lifestyle choice for many and it competes with other activities/family events. Spending £30-40 on something nowadays and then not going doesn't seem to be that big an issue for many. There is a lot of cash splashing around now.

Perhaps pricing hasn't helped. Traffic chaos for night matches, Poor form, poor public transport links, poor car parking system, late kick off time (Why was last night 8pm for example?).

A game during school term that kicks off at 8pm slap bang in the middle of xmas plays week at schools is going to mean lots of kids not going and hence at least 2 empty seats for every kid that doesn't go.

I am not sure what the answer is.

I'm not sure that its right to punish fans who dont turn up to midweek games (which is when most of the no shows occur). There used to be a bloke sat next to me who made a 400 mile round trip to watch City. He missed most midweek games. Of course he was there for the really big games eg City v United in 11/12. But that involved taking two half days off work and kipping on a mate's sofa. He was happy to buy his season card knowing he would miss more than a few games.

My ERO was an ST holder in the Gwladys and gave it up because of the number of night and midweek games. He couldn't get back to London via any form of transport at a sensible hour and be ready and fit for work the next day. The game is run for the hordes of armchair fans and not for those inside the stadium. Anyone who doesn't live in normally readily accessible cities won't have a chance. I had a bit of a chuckle when The Arse lost t'other night and said to Mrs Ewing that the trip back to Islington would feel like 900 miles, but for an Arse fan who might I've in Barnstaple or Penzance it's a day off the following morning.

Flat pretty much like the game,that said so are most top grounds in England now, atmospheres driven by team not team driven by the crowd anymore.
Spurs, West Ham did at the Bolyen, Swansea, Palace despite their MIB stripey-Nigel drum brigade, Watford, Stoke used to, Chelsea all have good atmospheres imo.

I know but is it factually accurate?

The first half was better than usual mate. The Singing Section put I n a good shift and the odd chant of Stand up if you Love City and Bluemoon went round the ground. Got a bit flat second half and a bit nervy just before we scored the second.

Last edited:
The first half was better than usual mate. The Singing Section butnin a good shift and the odd chant of Stand upifnyiu Love City and Bluemoon went round the ground. Got a bit flat second half and a bit nervy just before we scored the second.

Yeah, good summary. There's still an ongoing issue with people in the singing section not bothering to sing and it annoys the hell out of me but there was a hardcore of us in there last night that kept things going at regular intervals. I don't expect everyone in there to sing for 90 minutes non-stop - just join in with a few of the songs from time to time as you only need a hardcore of say 50 or 60 to start things off anyway - but there has to be more effort from some, otherwise they should fuck off out of there and let people in who are more prepared to get involved.

Also, I fully understand that some people get nervous watching us if a game is in the balance and that can impact on the atmosphere - I'm probably one of the most nervous of fans, but it doesn't stop me singing and in the past few weeks I've become even more defiant and refuse to let a song die a total death if the opposition are attacking as do a few others in there.

Second half was actually pretty good in there - we had "Oh what a night" going for a good 10 minutes or so non-stop but it simply didn't carry into other areas. A couple of chants clearly started up in SS3 in the first half and carried really well into other areas of the ground but the stories I'm reading of over-zealous stewarding up there is pissing me off royally and I'm thinking of raising it with the club. I know it's not an official singing section up there but it's obvious that there are a lot of fans up there that want to be given the same leeway that we have down in 114/115 and it's something the club needs to look at.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.