Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
A massive (yes I dare use that word) stadium is not immediately aimed at domestic demand but when you want CL finals, World Club Championship and other major sporting events you want both the best and the biggest stadium possible.

Most of the existing 70k+ stadiums fall short in terms of quality but I suspect when ADUG are done that accusation wont apply to MCFC's home.

A massive (yes I dare use that word) stadium is not immediately aimed at domestic demand but when you want CL finals, World Club Championship and other major sporting events you want both the best and the biggest stadium possible.

Most of the existing 70k+ stadiums fall short in terms of quality but I suspect when ADUG are done that accusation wont apply to MCFC's home.
Bingo!

And not just for sporting events, of course.

The club will have no choice but to reduce tickets further once the north stand is completed. 62,000 seats puts us in the same league as Arsenal, the second biggest team in the country based on stadium size and average attendances. Without a clever ticket policy, I stand by my original thought 80,000 will be too big for a club of our size. My hope is that the owners continue to offer more value seasoncard as they rightly award that type of commitment to the club. As a Citizens member, I'm not expecting ticket prices to reduce much from the £37 that I'm currently paying for home games. If fans want even cheaper tickets, the club are likely to encourage fans like me to purchase a seasoncard, which will mean the price would fall to around £30 a game. That is great value, and gives me and other fans something to ponder in preparation for futures seasons...

Well if the scum thought that in the early 90's they still be playing to a 46k of fans

I agree the transport is poor from the stadium, but that shouldn't stop the club from expanding the the stadium !

I honestly don't know what the council's view on that would be. I believe that before the tram arrived 60,000 for concerts was a total nightmare from a transport point of view. I doubt we would have been given permission to expand and host 60,000 on a regular basis pre tram. Arsenal theoretically could expand to 80,000 but have been told to forget it unless they are willing to part fund transport improvements in the area. I think we will eventually expand the two side stands but it probably want happen until the transport situation is resolved. A catalyst to improve transport could quite well be the development of the collar site.

I'm not quite sure how transport links in general could be improved further without enormous revenue expense on infrastructure projects involving road and rail. How about City buy Asda, knock it down, build a car park with access to Aston New Road both East and West and access to ATW both North and South and any other access points on its East and North side aspects to aid dispersal and charge a fiver a game. Still think City are missing a revenue trick by not having more casual parking facilities nearer the ground. Would something like this be feasible? Or have City got something with more prestige in mind for that site?

A multi-storey car park wouldn't go amiss, rather than a large surface area one.
I know it sounds a little bit crazy / non essential, but football fans / clubs seem to envision huge car park areas which is generally a poor use of valuable real estate, and whilst one might make the argument that a large flat car park facilitates quicker entry / exit, I believe that's a bit of a myth, since most car parks of that type have a limited number of entrances and exits anyway. You might even make a case that a well planned multi-storey could actually regulate the exit far better, and actually improve traffic flow.

The only other way transport links could be improved is via more frequent buses / trams on matchdays, or improved park and ride facilities from the suburbs, with the emphasis on parking (the most common problem).

there was some chat a while back about plugging-in a station to the rail line that runs across the back of the car park.

The area where the abattior is would be large enough and close enough for parking

there was some chat a while back about plugging-in a station to the rail line that runs across the back of the car park.

The area where the abattior is would be large enough and close enough for parking

A new station like that would certainly help any future planning application. Additional tram routes would also be beneficial.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.