Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

If the current planning permission is being relied upon then a mirror of the south stand is probably correct. A 2 tier stand, with an enlarged, second tier, would probably result in an increased capacity. Any increase in capacity over and above the current planning permission would mean another planning application and local consultations. There are nuances around this of course - ie construct a 2 tier solution that stays within permitted attendance numbers and then add further seats once permission is granted for additional numbers. However a 2 tier stand would result in existing season ticket holders and corporate boxes on the current second tier being displaced, both during the construction works and in the ultimate solution, the club may be reluctant to do this.

The current corporate boxes would have to go anyway. Let’s be honest, they look like an after thought and look sh*t, especially the ends. The roof which almost sits on the corporate boxes will also be dismantle.

This has been discussed. It’s probably possible to build on to the back of the current 2nd tier and tie an expansion into it. The issue is the rake/angle of tier 2.

1670872794660.jpeg

Last edited:
A mirror of the south stand would be a complete wasted opportunity and mean more corporate/ no improvement to the atmosphere

This is the only chance we have to build a proper home end. For me we’d basically end up with a copy of arsenals ground

There’s talk that tier 1 will be another safe standing section.

'What's not to like?' Well, for a start, last time I checked, we lived in England. Without wishing to sound too nationalistic, can we not celebrate Englishness - if there is such a thing - with a large version of a traditional English pub serving traditional beer and food (though, admittedly, that probably means curry and pizza to some)? Last thing we need is a Disneyfied German bierkeller.
A traditional English pub these days means feral scum with feral dogs and kids running about, badly parked pushchairs and mobility scooters AOTS and a mob of sted head BooHooMen in ludicrously tight clothes doing keys of tragically stepped on Scarface in the disabled bogs
Bring on the Germans

A mirror of the south stand would be a complete wasted opportunity and mean more corporate/ no improvement to the atmosphere

This is the only chance we have to build a proper home end. For me we’d basically end up with a copy of arsenals ground
Exactly.

This will tell us what the club want more. A proper home end and a better atmosphere, or more expensive level 2 seats and another new and larger corporate area at the back of level 2, like the South stand.

I don’t think the number of tiers make much difference to the atmosphere, we’ve had some great atmospheres as it’s configured now. The difference to atmosphere will come from having one last well thought out relocation and standing areas. We can just as easily have a home end over 3 tiers as we can 2 tiers.

When’s the last time you were in an English pub geared up for a few thousand people ?

Im pretty sure a bierkeller idea has nothing to do with any German influence and is purely cause the are designed for a huge open space with bench seating to allow as many seats as possible in one open space.

Would be perfect in my opinion for the covered plaza with varied food and drink concessions surrounding it.

Exciting times ahead
I probably worded my 'rant' badly having interpreted Tolmie's comment too literally. I can see the value in a bierkeller style bar in terms of the seating arrangements etc. All I feared was some kind of rehash of a Munich beer hall with nothing but steins of fizzy lager and bratwurst. Not too likely I admit.

A traditional English pub these days means feral scum with feral dogs and kids running about, badly parked pushchairs and mobility scooters AOTS and a mob of sted head BooHooMen in ludicrously tight clothes doing keys of tragically stepped on Scarface in the disabled bogs
Bring on the Germans
Not quite what I had in mind to be fair. To be honest, I don't understand half your post. I must have lived a sheltered life.
; )

They’re using the 2014 planning permission to develop the stand according to todays announcement which would line up with what Tolmie is saying.

Not doubting you or Tolm.

Lots of rumours swirling about from different sources.

People posting 2 tiers.

City can put an amended planning application in. It would sail through.(as we know) Another rumour being, construction of the North stand won’t start until the Coop Live Arena is finished. 12 months away at least. And that’s if they get the build back on schedule? As the North stand isn’t close to local residents and houses like the South stand is, there shouldn’t be a problem. The new capacity could stay within the already approved capacity.

My thoughts keep on going back to this very important point.

I have been told on good authority City want to create a ‘proper home end’. Creating a 3 tiered North stand identical to the 3 tiered South stand is ‘not a proper home end’.

It’s the club today which confirmed the expansion is within the 2014 planning permission.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the ‘home end’ just ends up being tier 1 safe standing as has been mentioned on here.

The major works of the arena will be completed by summer so we’ll be fine to start the expansion at that point. From summer they’ll be working all the internals of the arena for a few months.

What is the point of an increased capacity with the current state of the transport infrastructure?

The stadium access for both private and public transport should be the first priority, it is currently very poor.
They are fully aware of this and are looking at solutions.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.