Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

I may be way off, but I'm not sure the North Stand roof is even part of the cable-net system?

From memory, it was built as an open end for the Commonwealth Games and the roof went on as a separate piecing when we converted and dug down.

It's not connected or supported by the other three stands and, as such, isn't constricted to what can be done with it?

It’s part of it. The cable net was built before the stand. When they built the stand after the games, they built around it and then attached the current roof to it.

It’s part of it. The cable net was built before the stand. When they built the stand after the games, they built around it and then attached the current roof to it.
The cable net roof is a marvel of engineering, and completing the roof in two stages beggars belief. They would have had the same difficulties when removing the south stand original roof. I'm watching what happens with the north stand with great interest, especially the roof.

"The roof

Clearly a key element of the Stadium design is the cable net roof. The cable net itself was already erected in time for the Games and the temporary North Stand was fitted around the permanent masts and tie down cables. In fact, during the Games, the cable net was directly over the athletics track surface, which required Arup to obtain for the client a dispensation from the International Association of Athletics Federations. Following the Games, the roof was completed by adding the rafters, purlins and cladding to achieve the final form and the intimacy that is such a feature of the building.

This may appear a relatively simple task but cable nets are by their nature flexible structures, and joining two parts of a three-sided stadium together, and some considerable time after it was originally built, was not without its challenges. The sequence of loading and adjustment was carefully assessed and co-ordinated to ensure that the final shape meets the geometric aspiration. This involved considerable skill, expertise, and co-ordination between builder and designer."

I may be way off, but I'm not sure the North Stand roof is even part of the cable-net system?

From memory, it was built as an open end for the Commonwealth Games and the roof went on as a separate piecing when we converted and dug down.

It's not connected or supported by the other three stands and, as such, isn't constricted to what can be done with it?

Stick to transfers mate you know fuck all about this ;)

The cable net roof is a marvel of engineering, and completing the roof in two stages beggars belief. They would have had the same difficulties when removing the south stand original roof. I'm watching what happens with the north stand with great interest, especially the roof.

"The roof

Clearly a key element of the Stadium design is the cable net roof. The cable net itself was already erected in time for the Games and the temporary North Stand was fitted around the permanent masts and tie down cables. In fact, during the Games, the cable net was directly over the athletics track surface, which required Arup to obtain for the client a dispensation from the International Association of Athletics Federations. Following the Games, the roof was completed by adding the rafters, purlins and cladding to achieve the final form and the intimacy that is such a feature of the building.

This may appear a relatively simple task but cable nets are by their nature flexible structures, and joining two parts of a three-sided stadium together, and some considerable time after it was originally built, was not without its challenges. The sequence of loading and adjustment was carefully assessed and co-ordinated to ensure that the final shape meets the geometric aspiration. This involved considerable skill, expertise, and co-ordination between builder and designer."

The good thing is, now it's been done once, it should be easier and quicker the 2nd time around.

I wonder if we'll see the CTL 1600 crane back again? Along with the other 2 cranes?

The availability of a CTL 1600 crane, the largest crane of its type in the country, significantly influenced the lifting methodology as it permitted much larger lifts, speeded up construction and reduced the need for working at height splicing components.

Absolute beast.

IMAGE DETAILS​

Contributor:
Commission Air / Alamy Stock Photo
Image ID:
EGCTG5

aerial-photograph-of-the-etihad-stadium-manchester-city-football-club-EGCTG5.jpg

Imagine permeable concrete around the stadium.

Excellent idea.

The puddles when it rains around the grounds of the stadium can be huge, with bottle necks of people trying to walk where there isn’t a puddle at times. If you do walk through the puddles, they can be very deep and sometimes are about 20 meters in diameter down the back of the East Stand.

Here is the Hydro there is seven hotels roundabout it , but the whole area which is the Scottish Event Campus can hold up to 32,000 people.

The COOP live can hold 23,500 people and the expanded Etihad can hold upto 60,000.

Maybe need more hotels ????

The other side of the SEC is a massive car park and there is multistorey next to the Moxy and there is car parking at the Village,Premier Inn,

View attachment 64121
I've been saying we need more hotels from the start. The actual campuses are similar sizes. These Glasgow hotels have popped up mainly since the Hydro was built, there was nothing like that number when it was just the SECC. The multi story is the building that has Moxy Glasgow written over it. If memory serves it has around seven floors. I genuinely think the transport assumptions for the Arena are half baked and woefully optimistic based on my experience with public transport and walking in Manchester vs attending events at the Glasgow Hydro.

I've been saying we need more hotels from the start. The actual campuses are similar sizes. These Glasgow hotels have popped up mainly since the Hydro was built, there was nothing like that number when it was just the SECC. The multi story is the building that has Moxy Glasgow written over it. If memory serves it has around seven floors. I genuinely think the transport assumptions for the Arena are half baked and woefully optimistic based on my experience with public transport and walking in Manchester vs attending events at the Glasgow Hydro.
The infrastructure round the etihad is atrocious. Add in a venue like the new arena and if events clash i really dont think id bother

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.