Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

I suspect that extending the North Stand to match the South will be about as far as can be done with the existing stadium. The cost of extending the East or West Stand and putting a new roof while maintaining playing at the Arena would cost eye-watering amounts of cash.

Real Madrid took advantage of lockdown to develop the Bernabéu while playing at their training ground. Spurs built a new stadium from scratch while playing at Wembley.

If City ever go for a more futuristic stadium, it is likely to be a new build on an ajacent site somewhere?
Agreed.

The cost of rounding out the four corners to add an estimated 6000 ? seats will probably be uneconomical as well as non strategic in comparison to the NS and associated supporter services.

However, our owners want only the best and don't like being second to anyone.....nothing should be ruled out completely.

Agreed.

The cost of rounding out the four corners to add an estimated 6000 ? seats will probably be uneconomical as well as non strategic in comparison to the NS and associated supporter services.

However, our owners want only the best and don't like being second to anyone.....nothing should be ruled out completely.

People said that before the South stand level 3 extension but that has been built to anything but a high standard. The North Stand will only be built if it likely to be profitable and as it will be ‘the cheaper seats’ so likely to the same stand as South stand level 3

Agreed.

I am no engineer but, i have wondered whether the club can build a new east and west roof structure over the existing roof structures with their own individual roof supports - like the south stand - and then remove the existing roof and the entire cable net system once the new structures are up - I am guessing these structures would include the 4 corners - I have little idea if this is feasible (a major issue must be the spirals being in the way) but it would be a way of continuing to use the stadium while making the changes.

I may be way off but changes will need to be made to the east and west stands in time.

I am no engineer but, i have wondered whether the club can build a new east and west roof structure over the existing roof structures with their own individual roof supports - like the south stand - and then remove the existing roof and the entire cable net system once the new structures are up - I am guessing these structures would include the 4 corners - I have little idea if this is feasible (a major issue must be the spirals being in the way) but it would be a way of continuing to use the stadium while making the changes.

I may be way off but changes will need to be made to the east and west stands in time.

Anything is possible. It‘s just the cost. Look at Bernabeu redevelopment. With a new retractable roof. You can just see the retractable roof to the left, underneath the main outer roof.

3 days ago.

Nuevo_Bernabeu - Instagram

B30FE047-4ED3-4496-8E00-E289CD5C7DE2.jpeg

In essence the Bernabeu will become a 89,000 capacity indoor stadia/arena, able to host numerous indoor events.

After dismantling the pitch, the venue is to enable conversion to other sports. It will be possible to play basketball, tennis and American football. Interestingly, it will be feasible to organise two matches at the same time, incl. basketball and tennis match by dividing the football field in half and installing temporary stands. As for non-sporting events, fairs and music concerts are planned.

94BBBBD0-E60A-404E-9C17-CAFD648E64AE.jpeg

I wonder if the 8 concrete spirals could support steel roof trusses that could support a new lower and flatter roof, that could amplify the noise and atmosphere better inside the Etihad, rather than the current cable supports, if the roof does need changing, which has been constantly mentioned throughout the thread.

4E782BFD-F00C-47D9-961A-646B90AF6A01.jpeg

San Siro.

240569C9-134F-415E-B3FF-FF60D7E2852C.jpeg

Last edited:
Which to me seems like another rule, made by the powers that be, which is like the way VAR is run. I have been to games including ours at Gelsenkirchen? where a sliding roof was closed, also rugby games at the Millennium Stadium and I think a closed roof adds to the atmosphere keeping the noise in. Or is it just certain clubs are against them as they would not spend the money on one. If those who say there would be no return on the money needed as the reason then I disagree as it is comfort for the paying supporters that count for me because in reality the toilets do not give value for money but they need to be there for the comfort of supporters and somewhere for the smokers to have their quick drag;-)
Anything is possible. It‘s just the cost. Look at Bernabeu redevelopment. With a new retractable roof. You can just see the retractable roof to the left, underneath the main outer roof.

3 days ago.

Nuevo_Bernabeu - Instagram

View attachment 64550

In essence the Bernabeu will become a 89,000 capacity indoor stadia/arena, able to host numerous indoor events.

After dismantling the pitch, the venue is to enable conversion to other sports. It will be possible to play basketball, tennis and American football. Interestingly, it will be feasible to organise two matches at the same time, incl. basketball and tennis match by dividing the football field in half and installing temporary stands. As for non-sporting events, fairs and music concerts are planned.

View attachment 64549

The stadium is very impressive but I just don’t understand why they think there would be demand to hold basketball or tennis competitions in a football stadium.

Imagine being sat on the top tier of that football stadium trying to watch a tennis match. When you add in 90% of the seats would be empty just doesn’t make sense to me.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.